2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, hope you can help.

My FN2 decided not start, initially I didn't hear my fuel pump prime, I pressed the fuel cut switch, no luck. The only way it will start is if I let the battery run flat and charge it again.

I was told it’s a faulty fuel pump so I replaced it, once I replaced it the fuel pump took 5-10 minutes to kick in when the ignition was on, it worked for 2 weeks then then it failed to start again!

I then wired the fuel pump into my cigarette lighter so the fuel pump came on soon as the ignition was on.

This worked for a week, then stopped again!

There is no engine warning lights, or anything else. If I let the battery run out and charge it will work again. I don't think its the battery as I put the jump leads on and try to start it, it still does not start.

Any ideas?

·
i-Vtec
2,551 Posts
Depends on how good, or rather how thick, your jump leads are, thin ones are notorious for being poor conductors or electricity and just heat up instead or passing currant. How old is your battery? Ive seen a few posts on here now where a poor battery has caused many starting issues even when it appears ok. The fact its working ok after you charge it would lead my to be looking at the battery first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is 6 months old, I'm thinking its the ECU rather than the battery. Because when the battery is flat it resets the ECU.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
I'd say similar; The fact it works after the battery runs flat and is charged does seem dubious.

You could do a battery pull to also trigger the ECU Reset, and see if it still runs on that battery without running it flat.

Another option would be to try another battery; Perhaps one from a willing friend's car that is known to be working (ensuring it is of adequate capacity / CCA) and see if it starts reliably with that.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
As above, have you tried an ecu reset?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery I am using is A14 Varta Blue Dynamic Car Battery 12V 40Ah (540126033) (054).

This is due to not having space in my bay to fit a bigger battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ECU reset, I touched my + terminal with my - terminal. That worked once, it started. However when it happened again and I tried it didn't work.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Fuel relay?

I noticed a few minor cut outs when driving once then from there it got worse and wouldn't start, I chekced fuel pump and all ok, change dteh fuel relay, so far all good to date.

It cuased no errors or lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is located?
Would this be my problem as my fuel pump is wired to live on ignition, I can hear the pump priming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 20 Posts