2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a search of a couple of forums and currently hoping this isn't a steering rack issue.

Past couple of weeks at speeds 20mph+ the steering is great but has VERY slight pull to the left (getting FRS soon so didn't get sorted).

Today the steering wheel is rather creaky only at low speeds (sub 15mph) and a creak is coming from passenger wheel. Rarely the steering on full lock right is rather stiff like running 1/2 level power steering. Turning left seems OK however.

These only occur at low speeds, does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Could be a number of things.

As its pulling to the left, check your tyre and make sure they are all equally balanced. If you are unsure what is recommended, check your manual, or https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-pressure-search

The creek can be many things, best thing is paying £50 to honda to give the car a full inspection done. My suspicions could be:

- Wishbones
- Top Mounts

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a number of things.

As its pulling to the left, check your tyre and make sure they are all equally balanced. If you are unsure what is recommended, check your manual, or https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-pressure-search

The creek can be many things, best thing is paying £50 to honda to give the car a full inspection done. My suspicions could be:

- Wishbones
- Top Mounts
Car is in for an FRS with Grinspeed in April so I will get them to have a nosy if it's not sorted by then.

"Glad" to hear there are a couple of other things it could be other than the rack.

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on recent experience I'd go with the top mount, does it sound like the noise in the video in this post:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels-tyres-suspension-brakes/278433-noise-left-wheel.html
Yep, not so prominent until the car has been driven for 15-20mins but definitely like the second video, it's not too loud from outside.

Can only describe the sound in the cabin as the woman from the Grudge film!!

Looks like I'll start from there then, surely can't be too expensive hopefully.

·
Registered
58 Posts
About £32 from Honda and they probably have them on the shelf if it's the same part across all Civic variants.

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whizzed it over to my local mechanic tonight and he too said it's the top mount. Will get me a quote in the morning.

Anyone have an idea of the typical cost / time of doing this job?

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
On a ramp with good access it should only be an hours work, I did it in an hour and a half with a trolley jack and cheap spring compressors. Budget for a new drop link as they can be a pig to detach from the strut, mine came off fine as it had only been on there 6 months.

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It did mate, best fitting both sides whilst you're doing it :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi mate. Mine is also sqeaking when i turn the wheel at very low speeds (5-10mph ). Steering feels fine but no idea what it is. Hiw much did it cost to get the top mount done?
It did mate, best fitting both sides whilst you're doing it :)
Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
£36ish a side from Honda and did them myself. Should take a garage 45mins a side I reckon.

·
Registered
552 Posts
£36ish a side from Honda and did them myself. Should take a garage 45mins a side I reckon.
Thanks mate. Mine has been doing it more or less for over a year but passed mot. Will get tgm to have a look when it goes in for next service. Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
552 Posts
Still need to get mine looked at when service is due. Hope it is the mount and nit steering rack

·
Registered
552 Posts
Went to TGM who had the car on the ramp and the squeaking noise was prevalent from both arches and was deemed to be coming from the rack, the parts were greased but after a long drive i noticed the squeaking was still there but not as loud as before.

Looks like a steering issue but probably will just live with it as seems very costly to get a new rack over just some noise!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts