2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this in the general section when it happened only once but this morning it has happened 3 times before the car idled properly. Basically the car was covered in ice this morning and when I *** to start it it kept cutting out after 5-10 seconds. The revs never reached the 2k they normally would before cutting out. Eventually after 3-4 goes of starting it idled at just under 2k and stayed there and once it started warming up the revs dropped as they should. After driving to work with the engine completely warm I tried to start it again and it fired up right away. Also seems to fire up/idle fine when the weather is a bit warmer later in the day.
Any ideas as to what it could be?

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
I'd check the battery first mate, can't remember if you said you had in the previous thread.
Might be on it's last legs and barely holding enough charge.

If the battery is new it's sounding to me like fueling especially if it's not holding the revs at 2k.

If it was me, before spending any cash I'd be flushing some decent fuel through the system with a nice thrashing, testing the battery voltage levels, inspecting the air filter, cleaning the throttlebody then resetting the idle learn.

Won't cost much / anything, worth doing anyway and may cure the issue. Worst case it's had a mini service :)

Also what oil is in there and have you checked the levels?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is virtually brand new mate. I'll check it later with my voltmeter though to be safe. Car has an HKS with the filter replaced about 2 months ago. I've never cleaned a tb in my life but I'll find out how and give that a go...I'm not very mechanically minded but will give things a go if I can. Oil level is fine and checked weekly.

Idle learn I've never heard of to be honest.

Thanks for your help...appreciated!

·
Enjoying life
8,532 Posts
Be very careful with the tb!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I just leave it alone? Also if I try the idle re-learn will removing the ecu fuse lose my map (tdi north ecutek)?

Idle re-learn might not help thinking about it...idles fine on a warm day at 2k and drops as it should as it heats.

·
Enjoying life
8,532 Posts
Could be the air assist valve playing up. The valve is there to help cold starts, the reason why the fn2 revs up to 2k at cold start. You say yours no longer does this? Have you checked pipes for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a strange one Flashy...later in the day when the temp is up it starts and idles perfectly (2k then falls as it should)....throw a cold morning into the equation and it cuts out and takes about 3 goes of starting before it will idle itself...never even got to 2k though more like 16-1700.

If the outside temp is ok the car starts and idles as it should....just wanted to see if there was anything I could try myself before putting it into the garage.

Thanks for the reply

·
Enjoying life
8,532 Posts
Might be worth checking your coolant level.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little update....my mechanic thinks its one of two things..coolant temp sensor or the tb. He says its probably the sensor. no vacuum leaks at all.

·
4,277 Posts
iirc the thermostat is part of the air assist valve as @flashy mentioned and super easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Could be the air assist valve playing up. The valve is there to help cold starts, the reason why the fn2 revs up to 2k at cold start. You say yours no longer does this? Have you checked pipes for vacuum leaks?
wonder if remap has altered something like this ?
it does sound like its a fueling issue and not rich enough for the cold starts
on old carb models the choke just shut air off and lifted throttle slightly for the cold starts but on injection its done via the ecu
how long ago did you get it remaped ? maybe you could ask them if theres something in the remap
taking the fuse out shouldnt loose your map other wise even standard ecu would need remap after battery change

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt think there would be a problem with the remap since it was dome by tdi north. At a guess I would say probably 3-4months back it was mapped.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,059 Posts
If it's had a remap, it could be that fuel multiplier needs adjusting in the cold start tables. ECU reads off this to determine the injector duration before the engine is up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got a quick question for you guys here....the fn2 hasn't done it since due to the warmer weather but I don't want it happening again and have asked my mechanic to replace the coolant sensor which he thinks is causing the issue. He says its an easy job as it sits on top of engine but I've read on here there also one underneath at the radiator but this may have been deleted by the ecutek remap? Does a remap delete the 2nd sensor or would it be better to get both replaced?

·
4,277 Posts
A couple of lads have had this issue last week with that really cold morning mate and they had ecutek too.

Paul went to one of the guy's house and ran diags, turned out to be the lamba sensor that was knackered.

If you speak to Paul he may suggest replacing the lamba.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts