2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Fn2 drinkin oil like no tomorrow

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  TYPE-R '07 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i recently bought a Type r fn2 with 106300 km.
Today is 110k and since i bought it i had to top 1l of oil.
I drive it normal to go to work, 15km total and some vtec pulls on the weekend.
Seems a bit weird and i suspect i have to change piston rings.
Just got an unlucky CTR?

#5 ·
Are you seeing blue smoke under load?
Oil pools under car after being parked up?
Might just be a car that likes a sup. Keep eye on it over fixed mileage to see if drop is constant. I wouldn’t pay for new rings just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, no blue smoke and oil under the car.
I replaced PCV valve 1.5k km ago and it does that ****** noise again.

#6 ·
Currently i have a 0w40 into the car and Honda dealer says that nowadays Honda doesn't put 0w40 anymore but 0w20.
Planning to do an oil/filter change from the dealer(which is not the one who sold me the CTR) but that 0w20... i don't know.

#12 ·
most likely yes
if it was just oil ring then wouldn't loose any power
you could always try a compression test to ease your mind
when I ran my 2.2 diesel it never used a drop of oil until I left it well past recommended service interval then started to use a little
change oil and all ok for around another year
if it was rings id expect to see smoke out the exhaust
if it was valve team oil seals id expect smoke from cold starts then clear up

#14 ·
Then I have some news: recently I started to see some oil stains under the car.
At first it seemed to me it was water since it had no smell but today I tried to raise it with the Crick and I found this:

I tried to insert a camera through those holes and there seems to be a sort of "wet" cap and the plastic cover under the car is wet inside.
Perhaps it is from there that it loses oil and maybe it is not burned.
Wednesday 8th I have an appointment in the workshop and let's see, I'll update you as soon as I know something.

#15 ·
So it's been a while.
Dealer serviced the car putting into the fn2 a 0w-20 "Honda" branded oil.
The car feels smoother and quiter eventhough i made 4k km with the old oil(it was almost new).
Oil consumption got better, fortunally.
I've done antoher 4k km the i put in it 0.4l.
With the previous oil i would have put in 2l already.
The only fear is that on Sunday I will go on the track and for safety I will bring a liter of reserve oil.

#17 ·
So i'm back again.
Since the last time i wrote i had serviced my car by myself.
I put a Fuchs Titan 5w40.
I've done 1000km and the level was always the same but yesterday i went for a trip around the lake.
The avarage speed was 40kmh and there were some traffic.
After 2hours the oil warning pop up again (not the red light i mean). Pulled over, opened the bonnet and i noticed that the engine bay was hotter than usual.
Oil level was less then half stick.
I'm noticeing that the car drinks oil only in traffic.
The last sunday i went for a 300km highway trip and everything was fine.
This thing is driving me crazy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

#20 ·
As I said, last month I made an oil and oil filter change, I put a Fuchs 5w40 and I remember seeing a little "mayo" on the oil filter gasket or under the cap of the radiator, I don't remember at the moment.
That mayo, overheating during traffic (I mean the engine compartment, the indicator remains in place) and the burning of oil could be the symptom of a faulty head gasket?
I will recheck the coolant level as soon as the car is cold. I used a Honda 0w20 oil from January to May (8k km approximately) and I filled 1.5 ~ liter. By the way, I booked into inspection for the following week

#22 ·
Not really.
Head gasket is ok.

Days ago the oil level warning (not red light) came on again but the level was ok, the same.

Since i started this thread the oil consumption got better. In the last 6k km i topped up 0.5l circa, but i cannot explain the random oil warning.
As always the dealer/mechanic said that 1l oil every 1000km it's ok...this is insane.

#25 ·
Changed in Jenuary.

It depends on how you drive the car if you're revving out to 8600rpm each time you drive and have chosen a thin oil... it will burn it.
No matter how i drive it, it randomly burn oil all at once (maybe half stick in long jurneys but not always) and in summer traffic.
I want to see this winter how it goes.

As i said with Fuchs Titan 5w-40 oil consumption dropped.

Honestly i'm planning to sell this car even if i love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.