2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im in a bit of a conundrum at the minute. My FN2 is a daily, quite heavily used doing over 1000 miles per month.

Im wanting some nice power out of it, but nothing silly (wont be going FI) and I'm keen to keep the driveability element of it.

I've recently had fitted an AEM short ram air intake, which I changed back to the OEM air box & HKS panel filter as I preferred the noise of that and also how it drove low down the revs.

At the same time, I had a japspeed 4-2-1 decat manifold fitted along with the Tegiwa single exit 70mm catback. And its loud. Not the loudest car I've ever had, or the loudest civic out there. Its not even antisocial, its just too loud for me as a daily. On full chat its fine, but driving through town is loud when lightly accelerating. Sitting at 70mph is ok but touch the throttle and it gets loud for me. I'm getting old AF :grin2:

So, I have some options but I want to find out what will be the best solution for me without stifling any power gains I would get from an Ecutek remap in the near future.

1. Remove the race header and keep the catback - but I've read the standard manifold & cat are very restrictive
2. Keep the race header, go back to the standard catback - what is the standard catback like for handling power?
3. Keep the race header and get an extra silencer welded into the tegiwa catback (struggling to get someone to do this)
4. Keep the race header and get a custom 2.5" catback made (I want to avoid this option because ££).

I'm angling towards option 2, if the standard catback will still give a decent power gain?

Anyone with tuning experience able to give any advice?

Thanks
Chris

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Best bet is keep the manifold and go for OEM catback or better, a dual exit resonated catback.

Less volume and drone without killing the midrange

Reactions: Chrisdubya

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change the wheels, the oem are heavy at 11kg.

Get some 8kg and you'll feel the difference.
I'd love some lighter wheels but they all seem extortionate!

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
There are some bargains to be had, if you budget say £400 on some secondhand lightweight wheels and sell yours for £250 then it's not so bad.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I ran mine with a race header, CAI and standard cat back - it was lovely, but no CAT.

My custom is MUCH louder and has been designed to be quiet, it's got 2x BMW resonators in it behind a 200 cel cat, still fairly loud to my old ears but much quiter than when it was basically a straight through.

To be fair the standard exhaust after a decent manifold doesn't restrict that much anyway right @musegroove? If I keep mine I considering going back to standard and having the 200 cel moved inline somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
The standard system and a sports cat didn’t seem to hold the power back when I was supercharged, made 340bhp with just a CAI fitted, standard manifold and Cat-back
Have to admit though, the better the flow the more power and noise you will make in a NA car. So a good manifold I would say is a must if looking for big figures.

Reactions: musegroove

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
A decent 2.5" will work much better than OEM, a 3" isn't needed until the 250bhp range. OEM will restrict on NA but not by much, however every little helps when NA tuning.

It's the manifold that's the power killer on FN2s as Bones mentions.

Reactions: Bones126

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys ?

As mentioned, I'm not going big power. I'm happy with about 220bhp or so. It's a daily and I take my son around in it, so I need it to be sensible-ish but not too boring.

So I'm booked in on Tuesday to put the standard catback back on (also new spark plugs and valve clearances), but keeping the 421 decat mani. Going to do the airbox mod and either keep my hks panel filter or get a k&n one. Then in a few months going to JCal for ecutek remap. 220bhp or above would be nice! My friend has the same exhaust as me at current but with a pipercross cai and remap and made 227bhp so it would be interesting to see the differences.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just a little update for y'all. Picked the car up before, back on the standard catback and still got the decat 421 manifold.

Happy with the noise, but more throaty than standard. Much nicer to drive and it's back to being a daily again and I'm not trying to drive around the noise. Still screams in vtec so I'm a happy chappy!

Tegiwa catback for sale...!

Reactions: Farqui
1 - 13 of 13 Posts