2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Would just like to canvas opinion concerning the merits of opting for an extended warranty once the original one runs out.
1st MOT is looming and needs to be performed by end of August (yikes!)...

In terms of my car:
* I've owned her since new
* no mods - totally stock
* 6K miles a year or thereabouts
* no problems at all since day one, aside from a few dashboad creaks being attended to, and stone chips of course!:(
* any problems, specific to FN2's that I need to consider? i.e. engine problems due to high rev nature of the unit? Gear box - synchro mesh? etc..

Warranty: I've read a copy of Honda's extended warranty, though perhaps not the latest iteration, and there are several areas that I need clarification on, if possible:
* clutch - cover parts, but not labour?
* suspension - will damage be covered, or come under wear and tear?
* ECU - are there high failure rates on these OEM units? I gather they are expensive to replace
* Are there any other electronic components prone to failure that I should be aware of?
* £350 p/a sounds rather steep, considering you're tied into franchised dealer services/inspections etc
* are any claims likely to experience mileage exclusions? I've not got high mileage on my vehicle, hence the question

MOT:
* I'm not expecting any problems here, however, I'd like to know if there's any merit in taking the MOT before my original warranty runs out? I assume that Honda would be obliged to cover the costs of any shortcomings?

Conclusion:
* Is it worth coughing up the money for an extended warranty, or is Honda's reputation for reliability dependable?

Thanks for your insights :popcorn2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I opted for the extended warranty when the original ran out. £30 a month dd so I don't notice it that bad. I originally took it for my own piece of mind but just had a bit of bother so sort of paid for itself really. I had problem with airbag and they state they aren't covered under warranty, but my local dealer sent a claim through and hey.... They fixed it. So they aren't that bad. Also had rear shocks replaced. Usual knock sound.

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
I have a warranty, it cost £302.50inc

I have my servicing done at ABPMotorsport and they couldn't care less. Made a claim for the odd thing here and there and never had it questioned.

Checks are mandatory though every year to ensure the vehicle is not abused.

I even have an after market intake etc and its still covered.

Wear and tear items are not included. This includes the clutch unless specified as a potential issue such as early diesels where by the clutch couldn't take the torque.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
I was going to say dont bother as i've heard loads about them being rubbish and they hardly cough up the warranty but reading the above posts seems it could be worth it but it could mainly be down to the dealer and how they are with customer services so do your homework with the dealer and make sure they are clear on everything it covers, i wouldn't have one as my dealer is rubbish.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
From what i see from these boards is that if anything you won't really have anything go seriously wrong with an FN2 in terms of major cost problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension knocking - replacement of the bushes sort that out, or did you have to get the entire units replaced? UK roads are in such a state that it's an ever-present concern of mine every time I hit a pot hole!

ECU - I've not seen many reports of issues specific to the FN2...My brother has a 2006 VW Golf and the dealers hit him with an £800 bill to replace the faulty unit...ouch!

£30 dd isn't bad for peace of mind though tbh...I just don't see any other cars on the road that I'd consider changing to...sure there are plenty of turbo-charged hot hatches that would out accelerate an FN2, but for looks and driving experience, there aren't many that come close IMO...

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
also it also includes break down cover, RAC membership cost about £150 a year so it only works out at about £200; according to the letter I got from Honda...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: break down cover - very good point, thanks for highlighting it!
:popcorn2:plenty to chew over....

·
UKDM
779 Posts
I pay £36 a year for breakdown cover so dont be fooled by that. If you were to take out an extended warranty I think the honda one would be the one to go with, they were very good with me on mine. But its a honda and not much really goes wrong imo, I had been through a new alternator and tractional control system on my ST by now but all the CTR has had is known faults replaced foc

·
Registered
905 Posts
Waste of money IMO. All the faults are listed on here, would make more economical sense to sort them at an independent garage, but nothing much goes wrong with a Honda.

Personally I would use the money to get the front end re-sprayed if yours has been affected badly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts