2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,541 Posts
Do you know the best way to clean a dbw throttle body?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Taking it off is the best bet and carb cleaner. You can't open them well on the car as you may damage the little motor. I'm sure you have to reset it with Honda diagnostic system (hds) to set the idle, I'm not brave enough...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pcv have 3 settings depending on idle/engine load. Lack of oil changes gum them up. As age will weaken the spring. But I can't tell you if town driving is the worst senario- most stop start low speed is not good for cars. I got mine for £12.50 from rock auto in the states as it was cheap enough to take if it doesn't help

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I think it might be doable without removing the throttle body off the engine. With the in take pipe off, turn the key to position II (dont start the engine!) and place a brick on the throttle, this with open the butterfly valve. Then with a clean cloth soaked in the fluid of your choice gently clean the area.

Do you know the best way to clean a dbw throttle body?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was under the impression that the car sensed the difference between the cleaned TB and threw a code. And you would need a hds/him machine to reset the throttle position. I've got a elm obd2 reader with fusion app. But it's not capable of adjustment only monitoring.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Here is the procedure:

ECM Idle Learn Procedure
The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.
Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:

• Replace ECM.
  • Reset ECM.
  • Update ECM.
  • Replace or clean the throttle body.
NOTE: Erasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.
Procedure

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
  1. Reset the ECM with the HDS.
  1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait for 2 seconds.
  1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm (min −1 ) without load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 90 °C (194 °F).
  1. Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
    NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
  1. Verify the IDLE LEARN in the DATA LIST is completed with the HDS.
Just unplug the negative terminal on battery for 15mins, no need for a computer.

I was under the impression that the car sensed the difference between the cleaned TB and threw a code. And you would need a hds/him machine to reset the throttle position. I've got a elm obd2 reader with fusion app. But it's not capable of adjustment only monitoring.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Hi folks

Having the same issue, car hesitates slightly on full throttle at lower revs when pedal is pressed fast, after a split second it starts to pick up fine. at higher revs this dosnt happen, pulls through gears and vtec fine.

Car is standard FN2 with 55k, and no lights on dash. Car is booked in to get the valve clearances done tomorrow, this was going to be checked anyway before the problem started.

But what else can I check, PCV valve as mentioned?

Also worth doing a fuel trim reset?

Anything else to check

Thanks

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Drove the car to leave off to get valve clearances done, an remembered to check pcv valve.

So I open the bonnet an its clicking or ticking, pinch the hose that connects to it an it stops making the noise... Is it shot then, needs replaced

·
Enjoying life
8,541 Posts
Yes. A shot one is a crackling noise that disappears when you pinch the hose.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
would love to know if the PCV sorted it out! since i'm facing the same problem with mine
I have fitted the PCV few days ago, I have noticed considerable change in pulling away, this could be a mixture of the valve clearance and PCV tho.

But if i'm totally honest I think the hesitation is still there and crops up sometimes around 2500rpm when quickly flooring the pedal.

I have no idea now if this is normal or not, maybe there is a sensor not functioning at its full and causing the fault.. I will need to get it on a computer and see if any codes have came up recently

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
This has been doing my head in today, so I had a good think on anything changed lately that may have had an effect to cause this slight hesitation.

Recently I had smoothed out the internals of the air box and put in a HKS panel filter, could this change be big enough to cause a hesitation? I know some have installed HKS induction kits over the years and commented on a slight bog down when going full throttle and it took hondata map to resolve

Things that have been done recently
Plugs changed about 5k ago
Car serviced (Fuel filter still needs fitted, but not sure this would be at fault)
Valve clearances
PCV changed

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Why not get a standard filter from ECP and see if still does it, cheap enough test.
I've got the same HKS filter and do notice some occasional hesitation but not when it matters.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Already done, pick it up tomorrow and also have an unmodified air box to collect of someone, put it back the way it was and test.

Then I can rule that out,

An yes when it matters the car can shift on, but I drive for an hour to work through various towns an traffic, it annoys the hell out of me at lower revs

21 - 40 of 45 Posts