2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The units on my FN2 are now nine years old and have only seen 60K. The OSF wheel is now covered in brake dust whilst NSF remains fairly clean.

Car does not pull to either side when applying brakes, but OSF brake does squeal a bit on initial brake application, before going quiet.

Which caliper is playing up please? Is the OSF brake blackening the wheel because it is doing most of the braking, or doing it because it's stuck on? I haven't had a chance to get the OSF wheel off yet to have a look at the pads.

Replies welcome because I'll need to purchase a new caliper pretty soon I think.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Get the sliders out and see if theyre greased properly and are dirty. A rebuild kit isnt expensive and is cheaper than replacing the callipers

·
i-Vtec
2,284 Posts
After a bit of "normal" driving stop and using the back of your hand see if there is excessive radiant heat coming from that wheel, and compare it with the other side. If the caliper is sticking or seized you'll soon feel the heat coming from it.

·
Administrator
18,068 Posts
As mentioned, your first check should be to ensure all the sliders and clean/lubed. If they haven't been done for a while then they'll be dirty/dry and won't allow the caliper to release properly.

If the sliders are okay then I suggest you cycle the brake piston out/in and repeat a few times. Lift the piston boot and try to clean/lube it as best you can as this will often revive a tired caliper. Good luck and don't allow the piston out too far.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all. I am familiar with the excessive heat thing having had it several times on the old civic. So far that isn't an issue on the FN2. I will though be taking the caliper apart tonight when I get home from work.

I cannot find any silicone grease suitable for slider pins for sale anywhere. Halfords = No. Various motor factors = No. Where do you get the stuff from?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the brake dust affected side apart last night to see what's going on.

Slider pins are the major suspect as they initailly didn't want to slide, but they did eventually come out. I cleaned and regreased these.

The caliper piston is in good enough condition to still use(certainly in better condition than the last refurbished piston looked after three years on the old civic). I removed the pads and the two stainless steel clips from the carrier and cleaned everything and reassembled. Brake pads have even wear on them so I'll re-use these for now.

I also cleaned the alloy while I was at it. There is nice 1" wide brown ring around the inside behind the spokes where 'some' heat has baked the brake dust on.

Mark

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
My drivers side one was doing it too. Front drivers wheel caked in dust all the time. Greased up the sliders and jobs a goodun

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
My caliper pins also keep sticking. Last time I looked at the rear pad it was like a wedge of cheese as one of the pins had stuck and needed lubing up. Never thought of going to RS for grease though...

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
BTW I have recently had all discs & pads replaced with Brembo OEM and there doesn't seem to be much dust being generated - and I am not gentle on the brakes. Just a suggestion when it comes time to change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts