2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that all 8 gen. Civics are equipped with some sort of small grey flaps under front bumper, mounted perpendicularly to the road, in front of the tire.
I would post a picture to better explain what I am talking about, but forum does not allow me to yet :(

Have been wondering if these little *******s play any role whatsover - apart from annoying me by scraping road surface almost everytime when driving over higher speed bumps, bigger potholes, etc.
Car seems to have reasonable ground clearance without them.
Has anyone taken them off?
I am considering it due to fitment of set of Eibach springs, as it will make "the scraping effect" even worse.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I believe they're supposed to channel the air away from the tyres or something to improve stability at speed, but I think in reality they do very little.

I know plenty people have removed them without drama. I just kept mine on and let them scrape.

Reactions: MarBras

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply.

That's good news, I'll propably get rid of them then. One less thing to worry about ;)
Also, I am no expert in aerodynamics, but I seriously doubt that Honda would go that far with design advancement for it to matter, especially considering the fact that these flaps are not unique in Type R, they are present in and all other 8th gen. versions.

·
retroppuS
957 Posts
I thought they were to stop the bumper getting scrapped on bumps etc. Learn something new everyday :D

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I thought they were to stop the bumper getting scrapped on bumps etc. Learn something new everyday :D

Id imagine that they are, also possibly to provide a little protection from sticks and stuff going into your wheel arch, which was a problem in my astra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Aren't they they to help prevent aqua planing?

I must admit that since lowering the car, I've removed mine.

I've since raised the ride height and haven't taken the bumper off for months. So they could probably go back on now...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can not imagine how these would help reducing aquaplanning, they would have to be long enough to literally touch the ground and work as a plow ;)

Farqui -Just a technical question, concerning removing those flaps - is it a straightforward, reversable job, bolt on/off? or does it require some cutting?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts