2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've tried to get an answer on the Facebook forums buts the issue still isn't fixed so thought I'd ask here:

I've got a 07 FN2 Type R, bone stock, on about 69k miles. Pretty much every morning (or any other very cold starts) it makes an awful grinding sort of sound for about 30seconds to a minute and then it completely goes, replaced with an intermittent pull-like noise.
See video at streamable.com/2si72 Here, also notice the spark toward the end.

Since this video the car has had a new PCV Valve, New Idler Pulley, New Idler tensioner & Pulley and new Aux belt, to no success.

Any help massively appreciated!

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
What on earth is making that noise?

It sounds like it got louder on the pulley side of the block right?

What spec oil are you running?

Does the noise only occur on cold starts?

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Definite spark at the end, metal on metal spark,
I'd say definitely pulley related, wheel, bearings, when was the belt last changed

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Yup, that's a spark! I would see if there is any play in the top pulley and replace it to start with. Hopefully not the alternator.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
As above, looked like a spark from the crank pulley. I'd be checking that first and 100% not driving it as that'll destroy your crank / bearings if it's out of balance mate aswell as be eating away at the block!!

Could be lucky and be a simplier one such as alternator etc but looked like crank from this angle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just had the belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley replaced. They checked the other pulleys over and said they seemed fine. So hard to see anything in these bays too

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
You could try posting it on TDI norths Facebook page and ask if they have any ideas, they would probably pin point it straightaway

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just gonna give this a little bump, and see if anyone else has any input? TGM can't look at it till the 7th and not sure it'll last that long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts