2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard my car bottoming out on country roads and on track at higher speeds 70mph+

Was driving on a dual carriage way today and something hit my wing mirror, thought it was a branch from a tree, pulled over and this had happened:

It smacked my wing mirror too and nearly pulled the case off, that's clicked back in but is scratched. Also pulled he middle of the wheel trim off, but thankfully didn't snap the clips, so they've gone back in, albeit not really very straight. Difficult to say if it's pulled out the screws/bolts it was originally fixed with and damaged the holes, I'll have to get down to local bodyshop tomorrow and get someone to take a look.

Lowering is a pretty common mod, is it also common for mud-guards to get damaged / ripped out?

I assume if I put another standard replacement, it'll happen again? Is there any better solutions?

And should I not drive it without one, I can see it'll spray debris into the bottom part of engine bay and the fog lights etc.

Cheers,

NPC

Registered
How much are you lowered by? It could have possibly been loose, looks likes it's been rubbing on the tyre as it's worn through.

Mine is lowered 15mm at the front and 15mm spacers too, never rubbed the arch liners. I don't drive it aggressively and have never been on track.

Super Moderator
one good reason why I haven't gone down the lowering route.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How much are you lowered by? It could have possibly been loose, looks likes it's been rubbing on the tyre as it's worn through.

Mine is lowered 15mm at the front and 15mm spacers too, never rubbed the arch liners. I don't drive it aggressively and have never been on track.
I'm pretty sure mine is 15mm too, they're BC racing coil overs on the standard setting. Mine also has 15mm spacers to clear the Stoptechs.

At very high speed, like 100 plus on track, if you go over a bump or a curb, you can hear the rubbing. A bit of plastic came off on the other side at a track day a few months back. But was at Cadwell last week and it's very bumpy and quite a few places the car bottoms out.

Could well be they were not well fitted in the first place.

Here is where it sits on flat ground.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should also note, some work got done (badly) on my car by a garage, and they left off the engine under-tray and access hatch. So I've been driving around without it. And someone elsewhere mention the arch liners do connect to the car on the inside with that, so would only have been connected front and rear, and not on the engine side. So it might also be that I need to get an under-tray as well as a replacement liner.

Registered
The front looks like it's sitting a bit more than 15mm, but not having the undertray wouldn't help as your right it does connect to the wheel arch liner. But after it's taken a few hits through the track days it's probably just worked it's way loose, maybe try raising the front up a touch, maybe 5mm and replace the undertray and arch liners and just make sure all the fixings are in place, and hope it doesn't happen again. Can't really see any other way of avoiding it, or what else you could do differently.

The car looks lovely though, maybe just after track days check the arch liners to make sure they are secure.

Registered
Have you removed the 2 little bump strip things from underneath the bumper, right where the wheel arch liner fits

Reason i ask, is it seems to be common for them to gound on lowered cars, so folk simply remove them, but IIRC they also help keep the arch liner attached, so if you didn't replace the fixings, then the front could well have already been loose

I had to cut some of the fixing on mine arch liners last time i removed them as the screws were siezed solid, a few well placed holes and cable ties have kept it in place though

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you removed the 2 little bump strip things from underneath the bumper, right where the wheel arch liner fits

Reason i ask, is it seems to be common for them to gound on lowered cars, so folk simply remove them, but IIRC they also help keep the arch liner attached, so if you didn't replace the fixings, then the front could well have already been loose

I had to cut some of the fixing on mine arch liners last time i removed them as the screws were siezed solid, a few well placed holes and cable ties have kept it in place though
No, but I did noticed they'd taken a battering.

I've bought used liners and engine tray, so when I get them fitted, I'll cut those bits off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts