2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I went through the forum and google search on the subject but it seems all I can find is an opinion of EP3 drivers.

I've had an FN2 CTR couple of years ago but had to sell it due to new job.
Now I am toying with the idea of getting one as a weekend car with 4-5 track days a year.
It would be unlikely that the car stays standard and after suspension and brake mods I would be going for a supercharger kit to aim for 350+hp.>:)

My question is, how much of a disadvantage the rear suspension is compared to EP3 on track?
I'm sure some of you track your FN2s so feedback would be appreciated.
The EP3 is not my favourite looking car to be honest and I do prefer the FN2 more.
But, is it still a capable car on track?

I've just broken for parts my A4 1.8TQS which was fully stripped out car and don't want to go that far again.
Want the car to be usable (and enjoyable) on the road but good on track as well.

My other options are focus st and leon cupra, but am afraid that they are a bit dull cars to play with.

Couple of pics of my A4.

Premium Member
Sounds like a good plan buddy. The FN2 has a wider track than the EP3 so once the wheel geometry is aligned to something better than mush from the factory they handle really well. There isn't much difference in weight and the shorter gearing helps alleviate that anyway. They're certainly not track ready as standard though, brakes being the biggest issue so I'd build on those first. If you're planning on a big power increase I would suggest a bbk. Around standard power the car stops well with fresh fluid, braided hoses and decent pads and discs, but they fall down after 10-15 minutes hard use at a time, so require a cooldown session (worked fine for me as I got pretty tired and start making mistakes after that anyway). I've found adjustable coilovers bring a huge improvement to the balance of the chassis, plus you can fiddle to your hearts content. I felt comfortable pushing the car hard at Blyton Park last October and that was in damp weather. The transition into oversteer was predictable and controllable under throttle and steering. An LSD will be next for me before any more power as long 3rd gear corners had the inside wheel slipping.

These are just a couple of thoughts on it from my novice experience of two track days in mine and reading others experience on here. Keep us updated, a few of us want some track day friends 馃槈

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good plan buddy. The FN2 has a wider track than the EP3 so once the wheel geometry is aligned to something better than mush from the factory they handle really well. There isn't much difference in weight and the shorter gearing helps alleviate that anyway. They're certainly not track ready as standard though, brakes being the biggest issue so I'd build on those first. If you're planning on a big power increase I would suggest a bbk. Around standard power the car stops well with fresh fluid, braided hoses and decent pads and discs, but they fall down after 10-15 minutes hard use at a time, so require a cooldown session (worked fine for me as I got pretty tired and start making mistakes after that anyway). I've found adjustable coilovers bring a huge improvement to the balance of the chassis, plus you can fiddle to your hearts content. I felt comfortable pushing the car hard at Blyton Park last October and that was in damp weather. The transition into oversteer was predictable and controllable under throttle and steering. An LSD will be next for me before any more power as long 3rd gear corners had the inside wheel slipping.

These are just a couple of thoughts on it from my novice experience of two track days in mine and reading others experience on here. Keep us updated, a few of us want some track day friends

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

That's some good info here, thank you :)

Yes, definitely bbk will be first thing with decent tyres. Hated stock fn2 brakes and had 350mm cayenne 6pot on my audi so used to breaking late

As soon as I get the car I will be planning mods. Hopefully by end of march to catch some cheap early trackdays :)

I always do max 20 mins session and have a break as I do start making mistakes and tyres tend to go off at this stage. Plus car needs to cool down.

Live literally 10 mins away from Mallory but my favourite track is cadwell. Will be looking for track buddies as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch pedal guru
Cadwell park in a DC2 is heaven!! Although lift off oversteer at the Gooseneck is buttock clenching :surprise:

250bhp.... finally :)
Mine's halfway to becoming track ready but won't stop me doing at least a couple this year :)

Be nice to get the LSD going properly other than on roundabouts lol

Clutch pedal guru
I've seen one dc2 bin it there Or ep3. Can't remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't bin it, managed to save it. Cold tyres after 1.5laps is why I nearly went off there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts