2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I last posted on here. I originally joined as I was looking at getting FN2. About the same time as there were the cracking lease deals. Anyway, sums aside I couldn't really afford to lease.

However, time moves on and I've got a new job. Less miles. Company fuel card for private and business miles. More money a month to provide my own car for company use. Half home based, half office based.

In the meantime, I bought an 05 diesel Accord. All paid for. Currently on 150k miles (I bought with 89k miles on).

Replacement car will be my everyday car as well as doing the odd track day here and there.

In June (or thereabouts will be looking to replace the car) so the question is. Do either

Go for an FD2, probably retrofit cruise control, but that's about it.

Go for an FN2 GT and do some choice mods. Flash pro. RRC. FRS. LSD. Big brake set up.

FD2
Plus points. Cracking car, setup for track out the box. LSD. More power. Better brakes. More exclusive. well you know the rest. Everyday things, is a four door, isofix (thinking to the future here). HID. Kudus.

Neg points. Suspension is really hard. I'd cope with it, but got to drive the wife around as well. She's got used to diesel Accord's not Preludes with Tein suspension. Rear seats dont fold down. Expensive to buy and run.

FN2 GT
Plus points. Great car, but needs modifying to get the best out of? Cruise control as std (got used to it for motorway work). Rear seats fold down. More practical hatch. More owners (so bigger community, help, ideas, mods, etc), Isofix. Cheaper to buy and run.

Neg points. Brakes. No LSD. Halogen lights (I believe the updated uk specs had HID?). Needs to be modified to get the best out of it, but will never be as good as the FD2?

So what do people think?

Thanks in advance.

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
Have you driven either car? The FN2 is a great car and if you get a 09 onwards model it comes with the LSD

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
FD2 for me, I've never driven one but from what I've seen and read - awesome car.

You'll pour thousands into an FN2 trying to make it as good.

Having said that Spoon's FN2 did beat a number of modified FD2's round a track in one of those Best Motoring videos....

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
The best way to go is buy a good FN2 already modded and supercharged by the best people in the game ;)

Well thats what I think anyway !

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
hehe,, well its just my opinion,, lol ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think your in for a shock if you go from your accord derv to a FN/FD2, I hope you have a good mathematical background that fools logic with the mileage you have done since you registered!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you driven either car? The FN2 is a great car and if you get a 09 onwards model it comes with the LSD
I've driven a brand new FN2 GT from the dealer. The salesman seem surprised I wanted to give it some beans up the new by-pass :p. I was driving a modified 4th Gen Prelude at the time, in comparison the FN2 didn't seem as fast. Probably the sensation of speed. The FN2 could gather pace alright.

I guess its a question of stumping the money up front for the FD2. Or paying less for the FN2 and then probably pooring the difference between the two into modifying the FN2?

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I've driven a brand new FN2 GT from the dealer. The salesman seem surprised I wanted to give it some beans up the new by-pass :p. I was driving a modified 4th Gen Prelude at the time, in comparison the FN2 didn't seem as fast. Probably the sensation of speed. The FN2 could gather pace alright.

I guess its a question of stumping the money up front for the FD2. Or paying less for the FN2 and then probably pooring the difference between the two into modifying the FN2?
I'm not an expert but I think the FD2 handles better, brakes better and has more power. To bring the FN2 upto the level of a standard FD2 you'd have to fit better brakes a BBK is about £1K, sort out the suspension, Mugens set up is about £1800 from a UK dealer and then you'd have to get another 25BHP from the engine which will cost you about £1500.

So in total your looking at almost £4K on top of the price of an FN2, thats what I'd be looking at.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not an expert but I think the FD2 handles better, brakes better and has more power. To bring the FN2 upto the level of a standard FD2 you'd have to fit better brakes a BBK is about £1K, sort out the suspension, Mugens set up is about £1800 from a UK dealer and then you'd have to get another 25BHP from the engine which will cost you about £1500.

So in total your looking at almost £4K on top of the price of an FN2, thats what I'd be looking at.
Well will help me justify (in my mind) spending the extra money on an FD2. :D

But there are also the everyday things as well. Practicality. Living with it, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I test drove both quite extensively before I opted for an FD2. Although the CW FN2 (with diff) I drove was very good, the FD2 was in a totally different league altogether. First off, the chassis is both lighter and much stiffer than the FN2's, the suspension set up is far superior, the brakes are awesome as standard and the engine - oh what an engine. My FD2 was dynoed at TDI North and made 238bhp absolutely standard.

The driving experience is totally different; I've owned a lot of cars in the past including some exotic Jap machinery but the amazing handling of the FD2 is what got me hooked - so incredibly precise, amazing turn-in and feedback. It's an utter joy. The FN2 was undoubtedly good, but the FD2 is something else.

The only fly in the ointment is the rock hard suspension, which is totally unsuitable on UK roads. I solved this by purchasing a pre-owned FD2 originally supplied by Litchfields as many of them came fitted with AST suspension, which is superb. I'm sure you could find an AST-equipped one floating around somewhere.

People will tell you to mod an FN2 to get more power, but you can spend £1000s and still not make the standard power of an FD2. And even if you do get more power, you've always got a heavier, less responsive chassis. Or to put it another way, you could spend some money on tweaking your FD2 and make even more power - mine is making just shy of 260bhp with a Toda mani, cams and remap. With a better exhaust (going on next month) it'll be nearer 270bhp.

Finally, there's the stealth factor; I used to run a high-powered Impreza and got sick of people trying to bait me. But when it comes to the FD2, while it looks gorgeous, most people haven't a clue what it is and what it's capable of. I've had not a single instance of 'unwanted attention' in the 8 months I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I test drove both quite extensively before I opted for an FD2. Although the CW FN2 (with diff) I drove was very good, the FD2 was in a totally different league altogether. First off, the chassis is both lighter and much stiffer than the FN2's, the suspension set up is far superior, the brakes are awesome as standard and the engine - oh what an engine. My FD2 was dynoed at TDI North and made 238bhp absolutely standard.

The driving experience is totally different; I've owned a lot of cars in the past including some exotic Jap machinery but the amazing handling of the FD2 is what got me hooked - so incredibly precise, amazing turn-in and feedback. It's an utter joy. The FN2 was undoubtedly good, but the FD2 is something else.

The only fly in the ointment is the rock hard suspension, which is totally unsuitable on UK roads. I solved this by purchasing a pre-owned FD2 originally supplied by Litchfields as many of them came fitted with AST suspension, which is superb. I'm sure you could find an AST-equipped one floating around somewhere.

People will tell you to mod an FN2 to get more power, but you can spend £1000s and still not make the standard power of an FD2. And even if you do get more power, you've always got a heavier, less responsive chassis. Or to put it another way, you could spend some money on tweaking your FD2 and make even more power - mine is making just shy of 260bhp with a Toda mani, cams and remap. With a better exhaust (going on next month) it'll be nearer 270bhp.

Finally, there's the stealth factor; I used to run a high-powered Impreza and got sick of people trying to bait me. But when it comes to the FD2, while it looks gorgeous, most people haven't a clue what it is and what it's capable of. I've had not a single instance of 'unwanted attention' in the 8 months I've owned it.
Some good points in there.

The difference between the FD2 and FN2 engines are the cams, compression ratio, lack of balancer shafts, larger throttle body and the RRC intake. The manifold is obviously different and most likely better given the benefit of extra space in the engine bay.

These mods alone on an FN2 are probably around £5k to do. The brakes are better on the FD2, but a pad/hose/fluid change on the FN2 would make them close. Both benefit in the same way from a large brake kit. You can get exactly the same power output out of both with further modification, it is just that the FD2 has a better starting point, and it is very hard to justify spending money on a half-point increase in compression by changing pistons on what is a relatively new car.

The biggest difference is the independent rear suspension on the FD2. Granted, both cars benefit from a different set of springs and dampers, but the adjustability and flexibility you get from an independent rear (FD2) is a gap that cannot be bridged on the FN2. Having said that, these are front wheel drive not rwd cars, so a solid rear axle is less of an issue, but you have to work alot harder to get the FN2 chassis to work right with a suspension kit than you would with the FD2. The Mugen suspension kit is a good example of how well the FN2 can work.

There is the subject of style too - I prefer the look of the FN2 to the FD2, and indeed it was the look of the car that has always made me want one. I think the FN2 is probably more practical for space, but these are cosmetic choices.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
All I say is there is a reason why so many of us swap out our stock parts for FD2 parts.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Don't get me wrong - the FN2 is a great car too and if you want higher levels of practicality, and the peace of mind of a warranty and standard suspension that works on UK roads, it's perhaps a better chioce for some. Also, people like TDI are showing just how much more can be had from it. But if you want something that feels really, really special to drive out of the box, the FD2 is pretty remarkable

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Don't get me wrong - the FN2 is a great car too and if you want higher levels of practicality, and the peace of mind of a warranty and standard suspension that works on UK roads, it's perhaps a better chioce for some. Also, people like TDI are showing just how much more can be had from it. But if you want something that feels really, really special to drive out of the box, the FD2 is pretty remarkable
I agree with you!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I considered an FD2, but at the time I couldn't justify the near £7K price difference between what I got my FN2 for (£23999 vs £17200) but now given the choice again I would probably plump for the FD2.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I'd still opt for my FN2. I know the FD2 is probably better as far as handling etc goes... but like you have mentioned, for practicality, everyday driving and the styling of the car I'd still go with the FN2.
Although more power is always nice mine still has plenty of grunt (currently around the 225 / 230bhp mark), the only thing I would like but can't currently afford is the LSD. Fair cop, the car has had a lot spent in modifications to get it to where it is today.... but I love it :)

Asside from that the the boot is huge, there is loads of space for passangers and if I put the rear seats down its like having an estate... I really can get that much gear in the back.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts