2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Dilemma. I want a type r. And I'm due some money very soon. Enough to get an fk2. Do I A get a fk2 and spend 19k.... Or B get the fn2 and save some dosh. For me I've calculated tax and insurance is a couple of quid in it. Appears the fk2 abit more economical? Your guys input would be greatly appreciated. As I'm doing my fiancee head in about it 馃槀. Aaron.

Premium Member
Test drive both then decide.

The FK2 is said to be pretty harsh on the road, worse than the FN2.
Depends on whether you want an older car with 200HP you can use all of or a newer one with 316HP that could be wasting 100 of it on the road.
The FN2 is more plentiful but some parts are getting scarce. I would go for the youngest, lowest mileage one you can find and then personalise it with the cash you save.
I would love an FK2 (think it looks better than FK8) but Mrs would have my nuts for earrings.

Premium Member
Me and the other half are having the same dilemma. We both have FN2's atm...but we really like the FK2 and have been looking for one. But in the back of my mind I'm also thinking we could just spend the money on super charging or turbo charging our existing FN2's.

The only gripe I have with the FN2 is the god awful ride quality on our piss poor roads...but I see that the FK2 is not much better and is a bit harder? We test drove the FK8 and loved it but out our price range for now...plus both me and the missus prefer the looks of the FK2. Just can't make up my mind but I really like the idea of S/C or Turbo the FN2's but not sure about reliability etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
All really good points made there thank you. I can afford an fk2. And do prefer it's looks over the fn2. Fn2 feels dated on the inside?

Premium Member
All really good points made there thank you. I can afford an fk2. And do prefer it's looks over the fn2. Fn2 feels dated on the inside?
For me personally looks on the inside are not an issue...it's more power/performance I'm after. I ain't really to fussy about the interior looks...saying that the inside of the FK8 is bloody lovely. But ultimately for me it's all about the extra power and handling.

As a side note...I actually think for there age ( FN2 ) they still look pretty dam good both inside and out...but I guess that's just a personal thing but I think they still look good for there age.

Living the dream!

Depends on whether you want an older car with 200HP you can use all of or a newer one with 316HP that could be wasting 100 of it on the road.
The FN2 is more plentiful but some parts are getting scarce. I would go for the youngest, lowest mileage one you can find and then personalise it with the cash you save.

Having owned both and a FK8 here are my thoughts, if you drive a FK2 or FK8 due to the power delivery with the turbo the FN2 is toast even though as pointed out if you want to keep your licence you can not use it! If you only drive the FN2 and you rev it you will love it but the ride and audio is shocking especially compared to the FK2. I guess it comes down to what you want and can afford but if you found a mint low mileage FN2 under 拢7k and you factor in 拢2k for audio and suspension you will have a well sorted car for half the money

Premium Member
Having owned both and a FK8 here are my thoughts, if you drive a FK2 or FK8 due to the power delivery with the turbo the FN2 is toast even though as pointed out if you want to keep your licence you can not use it! If you only drive the FN2 and you rev it you will love it but the ride and audio is shocking especially compared to the FK2. I guess it comes down to what you want and can afford but if you found a mint low mileage FN2 under 拢7k and you factor in 拢2k for audio and suspension you will have a well sorted car for half the money
Just the point I was making.

Registered
Appears the fk2 abit more economical?

I used to Drive a FN1 and recently bought a FK2, when driving normal not too heavy on the Pedal I get the same Fuel consumption as i had in the FN1 at time even less. I Average at about 7,5L per 100km. If you drive around pretty heavy it would be easily at the 9L mark.

The car is Amazing. Last time I sat in a FN2 the interior seemed so dated, nevermind the Power difference.

Registered

I would love an FK2 (think it looks better than FK8) but Mrs would have my nuts for earrings.
Which parts are becoming hard to get? I can't believe Honda would stop supporting a car which was produced as late as 2011?

Renault are still supporting most parts for the Clio 172s, only recently have handbrake cables become obsolete and hard to get.

Premium Member
Which parts are becoming hard to get? I can't believe Honda would stop supporting a car which was produced as late as 2011?

Renault are still supporting most parts for the Clio 172s, only recently have handbrake cables become obsolete and hard to get.
Seats (covers, internals, frame), front mid bumper, some door lock parts, drivers floor mat to name a few. Discontinued does not mean no stock but supplies will run out.

Browse this website and see what is on the discontinued list:
https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/CIVIC/2010/20-TYPE-R-PLUS/10751

Premium Member
Me and the other half are having the same dilemma. We both have FN2's atm...but we really like the FK2 and have been looking for one. But in the back of my mind I'm also thinking we could just spend the money on super charging or turbo charging our existing FN2's.

The only gripe I have with the FN2 is the god awful ride quality on our piss poor roads...but I see that the FK2 is not much better and is a bit harder? We test drove the FK8 and loved it but out our price range for now...plus both me and the missus prefer the looks of the FK2. Just can't make up my mind but I really like the idea of S/C or Turbo the FN2's but not sure about reliability etc.
Meister CRDs sorted that for me in one hit with a decent geometry setup from Grinspeed - Yorkshire roads, so know how it feels. If I had the option of an FK2 I'd do the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts