2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
just looking on ebay at panel filters for the FN2, found the HKS, k&n and pipercross offerings to be similarly priced, is there going to be any real difference in performance (sound?) at all? will probably go with the HKS one...

kev

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I've got the do-luck one from sumopower on my type r, doesn't feel faster but makes a much nicer noise on v-tec. Check them out I do believe if you message Sumocazza on here you get a better price as your a member

Reactions: -kev-

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I've just recently got my hks one, no real change in sound or that but its got to be better than the oem one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
if you don't mind, how much was the do-luck filter ??

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Foam filters drop MAP pressure. Fact.

Honda OEM is excellant and cheap. KnN is about 1 or 2 percent better pressure wise at high rpm but more expensive although as said above washable.....just be careful not to over oil it

·
Registered
307 Posts
Foam filters drop MAP pressure. Fact.

Honda OEM is excellant and cheap. KnN is about 1 or 2 percent better pressure wise at high rpm but more expensive although as said above washable.....just be careful not to over oil it

...i was just about to purchase a HKS "foam" type panel filter...seems to improve throttle response a bit and a bit more air can't hurt...had them one my old cars and worked well for not much outlay...you say they drop MAP pressure...how badly? ..and would i notice?...would it be a problem in the long run....? i know its only a panel filter but don't want to cause any unwanted issues etc...

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I had a foam type filter and tbh I think " gains" are a placebo, it certainly was a little crisper on part throttle and sounded " different".

To put it in laymans if you drop 5% MAP pressure you lose 5% BHP. So it's in your best interests to keep the MAP pressure up as it is BHP basically:)

Using Flashpro datalogs and my own car I found the stock Honda filter and the KnN to perform the best.

However it's your car and your own choice :), just don't expect miracles from a filter, its small percentage but when chasing gains it all counts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a foam type filter and tbh I think " gains" are a placebo, it certainly was a little crisper on part throttle and sounded " different".

To put it in laymans if you drop 5% MAP pressure you lose 5% BHP. So it's in your best interests to keep the MAP pressure up as it is BHP basically:)

Using Flashpro datalogs and my own car I found the stock Honda filter and the KnN to perform the best.

However it's your car and your own choice :), just don't expect miracles from a filter, its small percentage but when chasing gains it all counts
thanks for the info...did u actually test a hks panel filter out of interest?

i have always found hks stuff to be good and give good gains, even a panel filter.

i might just stick with a honda filter until i can afford something else

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
yes, a do luck, a KnN and a brand spanking new Honda Oem, Same road in both directions, same day, and fuel.

Better gains can be had by smoothing the inside of the airbox and opening up the blocked off section, look for RossKs posts, he did a good write up on my suggestion he done this, On the EP3s this was called the " hondata airbox mod".

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Fn2 is the quietest car I've ever had. I'm not planning on tuning it anytime soon so thought about getting a K&N drop in filter just to increase noise.

Can anyone confirm that the K&N will increase induction noise? Both lower and higher rpms?

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
My Fn2 is the quietest car I've ever had. I'm not planning on tuning it anytime soon so thought about getting a K&N drop in filter just to increase noise.

Can anyone confirm that the K&N will increase induction noise? Both lower and higher rpms?
If you want noise i would go for the hks rsk ive heard one and the noise i can only compare to that of the noise cheryl cole would make in bed!!! The K&N may free up flow adding a pony or too but the noise isnt going to increase much if at all i have a k&N panel in my 1.8 and didnt hear a change tbh felt more free but the rsk on the fn2 is something else!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.