2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am in dire need of some thoughtful help.

While leaving my FN2 being serviced by the dealer for the infamous clutch pedal issue I asked them to swap front and back wheels - so as to even wear as the fronts were starting to show a bit of wear on the tyre shoulders.

Before that the car was driving brilliantly, with only some very (very) light angular offset of the driving wheel towards the left.

Now that the swap is done, hands off the wheel and the car pulls a lot to the right with the wheel straight. If I brake, as the nose dives down the car quickly stops pulling to the right and goes perfectly straight and stable while the wheel snaps to a small but significant angle to the left. I also have a vibration coming up starting from 120km/h (75mph).

This behavior did not occur just prior to servicing, and appeared right after I picked up the car.

What could have happened? Has my alignment been thrown off? Is that even possible just by swapping wheels? How would I know if an alloy has been warped?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
First take the tyres off the car and see if there by any chance has come something between the wheel and the hub. Second check if you can see any deformation of the wheel with the naked eye. Third get the wheels checked by a professional. Fourth get the alignment checked.

This is what i would do at least. Maybe someone has had this problem before and its something totally different, but points one and two is easy for you to check yourself without any cost. I don't think most garages would charge you for point three either, its a quick job for them to check the weights on the rims with their machines.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems partly:
- wheels were badly balanced (first thing I checked and corrected)
- toe-in was slightly off on the front left
- the winter tyres were at fault too. 225/40R18 Pirelli Sottozero Series II: excellent grip in all conditions, but extremely picky about tyre pressure and temperatures above 5°C.

I'm back with 4*RE050A, I will see if any vibration comes back.

As for dive-in behavior, it has reduced, but might be caused by an unexplained weird caster angle value on the front right. I started another thread concerning alignment values here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts