2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I need some help on alignment. I took my car to have it aligned on one of these posh 3D wheel alignment machines and he mentioned your drivers rear is a couple of notches out and showing in the red but it's still okay. This is annoying me because it's not okay and now I think my car might of been in an accident but everything looks original.
I know the rear axle is not adjustable and if I wanted it sorting would I have to buy a new rear axle from Honda or is there anything else that might be the problem.
What is a fast road setup and why is it so expensive as I thought is was the same as aligning your wheels.
Is there any common faults on the rear suspension ie bushes might cause the wheel to be out or need to replace the shocks.
What are these shims people talk about.
I'm so confused right now and I hope this makes sense.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
:nopics:

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
FN2 are notorious for having one of the rear wheels being slightly out of alignment. Sorry cant remember which side, can be fixed with shims however.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, so would I take it in for a fast road setup to sort the alignment out on the rear?

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Worn bushes may well play a part in your geometry readings, so ensure they are in good working order.

The rear wheels can be realigned but it involves removing the hub and applying tapered shims. It's more complex than a standard geometry tweak with tie bars, etc so is often ignored. If it's out then it can adversely affect handling and/or tyre wear.

Fast Road Setup is a more extreme geometry setup than normal which makes handling keener. If you have standard struts then you may need camber bolts on the strut to hub, these allow the front wheels to be cambered inwards. As the front wheels are cambered in more than usual, you will find the inside of the tyre wears more.

There's really no need to go crazy hunting the perfect alignment as the standard bushes flex a fair bit. Somewhere in the ball park is fine. Firmer Polybushes can be fitted to sure up the geometry but these add noise and vibration.

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
If your happy with the car and handling and the rear tyres are wearing fine I would not bother, yes you can get a FRS done that will correct this and I have had this done on a FN2 but to be honest I don't think it really altered how the car drove so IMO I would not spend £250 on this again unless I had a tyre wear issue. Maybe its a case of I don't drive the car hard enough to notice the difference or not but just my 10 pence worth from experience but if you fancy getting this done TDI north are close to you and have a good reputation.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. The people who did the alignment is going to text me what was out as I can't remember wether it was the toe or camber on the drivers rear.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Has anyone had shims fitted as a result of going lower?

I've had a frsu done at grinspeed with the eibachs on and there was no need for shims as was ok on the rear.

But will this still be the case with coilovers? I do want to drop the back a further 10mm or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts