2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cashmo - can you get some pics up of your RSP bored out for a 70mm TB?

does anyone else have pictures of the rsp bored out to 70mm TB? I think I now know why Spoon Sports has an exchange program. The appears to be a lack of material in some areas. I might have to add material by welding in a few areas. the adapter is a 70mm Karcepts Adapter for RSP & '06+ RBB manifolds to run a cable throttle body

this is one of the thin areas

Edit - turns out not being so bad. I'll post more pics when I am done porting for a 70mm TB

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here are some results of testing (the 1st round) :popcorn:
I was quite surpised as to how simliar the results were. Dyno testing was done on a dynapack dyno which (this particular one) reads a few percent lower than a dynojet (a while back I made 214 on the pack & 222 sae on a jet same tune same weekend). a bone stock usdm fg2 '06 si (k20z3) made 167/137 & a bone stock 2001 (f20c) ap1 s2000 makes 191/131. I have the torque graphs skewed so you can easily see the differences. No tuning was done on the low cam for the RSP (RRC was already tuned). 70mm TB with port matched TB openings on both manifolds - I did a "DIY how-to" thread here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/72310-modifying-your-intake-manifold-larger-throttle-body.html

Unfortunately I think my setup is about max'd out (either cams or exhaust or a combination of both) so differences were less than I expected.

set up:
-jdm K20a Type-R (stock except for cams & valvetrain) running for 6yrs now
-Hytech Stg1 cams w/supertech springs & retainers
-Hytech Header (long tube)
-2.5" exhaust with Hytech twinloop muffler
-3.0" (2.5ft) to 3.5" (1.0ft) intake with BPI 3.5" stack & K&N Filter
-Hondata IMG
-93 octane

NOTE: Torque scale on the left & Horsepower scale on the right
RRC (solid) vs stock RSP (dashed) *description in picture (lower left runfile) is not correct but the graph IS RRC*

stock RSP (solid) vs modified RSP (dashed)

RRC (solid) vs modified RSP (dashed)

testing notes - We tested 3.0" intake vs 3.5" on the RRC & the 3.5" edged it out from 6-7.5K everywhere else was the same. I stuck with that intake for the RSP testing. Hopefully sometime soon, we all have a free night to do some intake testing. with the RSP (stock stacks) bolted on running the same tune as RRC - the RSP needed more fuel in 2 areas of the midrange but went rich up top (as expected)

a couple of pictures of my "modified RSP" stacks (custom flange & custom stacks CNC'd )

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Thanks for posting - useful gains in torque on the modified RSP between 6.5K and 8Krpm :) However, some significant losses below 4.5K rpm. Your velocity stacks seem to be a much better flowing design then the OEM design - could you try making them longer to boost low down torque?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for posting - useful gains in torque on the modified RSP between 6.5K and 8Krpm :) However, some significant losses below 4.5K rpm. Your velocity stacks seem to be a much better flowing design then the OEM design - could you try making them longer to boost low down torque?
I know I pretty much wrote a book - but to be clear. The car was fully tuned with the RRC on. absolutely no tuning (fuel or vtc) was done on below vtec (4500) with either RSP which explains those non-vtec losses.

Yes, I may slightly longer stacks at some point :p after I throw a 3.0" exhaust on

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I know I pretty much wrote a book - but to be clear. The car was fully tuned with the RRC on. absolutely no tuning (fuel or vtc) was done on below vtec (4500) with either RSP which explains those non-vtec losses.

Yes, I may slightly longer stacks at some point :p after I throw a 3.0" exhaust on
Ahh - I see! So the modified RSP results with your velocity stacks on are untuned then - that's a really great result :cool: Please post a dyno plot of your modified RSP once mapped - really looking forward to seeing these results. Thanks again for all your hard work :perfect10:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My friend found a EG (yes this motor is in a 2200lb/997kg 1992 civic chassis) 3" exhaust in his basement :cool: going to throw it on & try it out to see if I can un-cork the setup :popcorn: if that doesn't work I will try a set of toda a3's I have laying around

·
Aye Aye....
7,104 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, skill and effort to do this Greg, I've watched on at each stage, it's been great to watch, definitely worthwhile doing it, looks like its best suited for track use given the gains are mostly at peak?

Thanks for keeping me up to date throughout much appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, skill and effort to do this Greg, I've watched on at each stage, it's been great to watch, definitely worthwhile doing it, looks like its best suited for track use given the gains are mostly at peak?

Thanks for keeping me up to date throughout much appreciated!
No Problem!!! I do plan to spend some time tuning the RSP & modified RSP as well (low cam & high cam) . I had over 100 hrs datalogging with the RRC last year :facepalm:

Is your motor N/a or charged mate?
he is talking N/A gains :)

only problem with 3" is the car will be exceptionally loud - just gotta prepare myself for some exhaust tickets :police: lol

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No Problem!!! I do plan to spend some time tuning the RSP & modified RSP as well (low cam & high cam) . I had over 100 hrs datalogging with the RRC last year :facepalm:

he is talking N/A gains :)

only problem with 3" is the car will be exceptionally loud - just gotta prepare myself for some exhaust tickets :police: lol
Yep N/A

I used a hushpower pro series as a res and vibrant flat black rear muffler.

109db @ 6k PRM - still quieter than a 64mm Jap can system like a spoon n1 or buddyclub spec 3

·
Registered
286 Posts
***** for sharing 6spd ep3

so then...everybody , rsp is still a winner in a k20 for me...
k24 might be another story..
its just funny , when years pass , to see how much HYPE is created about some parts..
THE MAGIC RRC. 450+euro , minimal gains only 8000+, worse than rsp midrange , IF u tune the rsp correctly
stock FREE oem rsp(WITH AFTERMARKET tb) ... better till 7500 , and 2-3bhp less 8000-9000

BIG DEAL.. :popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2:

here were my results
solid = rrc +t.b
dotted = rsp + tb

·
Registered
166 Posts
this thread really helped me alot, I'm porting my rsp now to match it with the fd2 throttle body which is 2mm bigger than stock.

Does anyone know what effects on the car if I remove the velocity stacks all together?
A lot of torque loss.

I have a question for the clever guys in here :

1. What is the noise baffle made of? The large lower portion of the RSP , as far as I can find out , is there to minimise noise levels only. That is why guys report louder intake sounds on RRC / RBC intake manifolds.

2. I plan on cutting out the baffle when modifying mine and welding it closed , does anyone have a suggestion on the best possible shape? I assume as close to the RBC / RRC lower side for air flow.

3. Any thoughts on gasflowing the inside of the intake? I believe gasflowing , polishing / porting whatever anyone wants to call it will cause a reduction in air velocity and whilst looking pretty ,ay have negative side effects?

Thanks
Grant

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have two new versions of stacks made. waiting on stack flanges now. I am also making CNC plenum flanges so I can make a noise baffle delete.

The 1st stack version had an elliptical radius... the two new versions do not. I did this because some say the ellipitical flow great on a flow bench but in real world dyno test may not be as good as the simple radius.

:popcorn2:

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.