2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have just purchased an FN2. I'm finding that it runs like a pig when cold! If I remove my foot from the throttle when the choke is in full force, it judders aggressively. It reminds me of my mothers 1987 Vauxhall Cavalier back in the day.
Frustratingly, this often occurs near home when I slow down for a roundabout in front of a busy bus stop, every morning... so getting this sorted is high priority for me.
I know if I take it to my local Honda dealer, I'll get hit with a heavy bill, so ideally I could process your thoughts before I hand it over to them.

When it's warm, it's a great car to drive. Until I get this running problem sorted, it doesn't come close to the pleasure I got from my Accord Type-R many years ago.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
This is a common problem with FN2, drive by wire. I've had my car from new and its always been lumpy when cold, I found that using VPower fuel helps a lot, this I all that I now use.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
A certain amount is normal, but if yours has noticeably worsened it could be an idea to have a diagnostic check and possibly perform "relearn of throttle position values" which I have found help in the past.

It would also help to know the age and miles of your car.

Don't be alarmed it could be the tell tale cold jerkiness all FN2s have, only you know if it's gotten worse or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's disappointing for a car made in the 21st century :(
Don't get me wrong, it's great car when warm... guess I'll need to find another route to work that doesn't include a few dozen spectators.

So what actually causes that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A certain amount is normal, but if yours has noticeably worsened it could be an idea to have a diagnostic check and possibly perform "relearn of throttle position values" which I have found help in the past.

It would also help to know the age and miles of your car.

Don't be alarmed it could be the tell tale cold jerkiness all FN2s have, only you know if it's gotten worse or not.
The car is on 63k and is an 08 plate...

"Relearning of throttle position values"... is that something that I can do or a Honda jobby?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Clean the MAF sensor, it helped me a lot and I use cheapo fuel. I have the minimal of jerkiness now.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
It's a feature rather than a fault. My brothers M3 does the same, very jerky until the oil has some temperature

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is a common problem with FN2, drive by wire. I've had my car from new and its always been lumpy when cold, I found that using VPower fuel helps a lot, this I all that I now use.
+1
Really does make a big difference to mine, switched back to 95 Ron a couple of times to see if it really was making a difference, went straight back to v power. Really worth trying a couple of tank fulls.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A feature rather than a fault :) that made me chuckle.

I'll obtain some carb cleaner and get that MAF sensor cleaned this week.

I'm on my second tank of the good stuff at the moment.

Thank you for your input guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was passing the Honda stealers, so I popped in to get back it checked over... been diagnosed with a knackered clutch. Explains why the bite point is practically on the floor. Another bill. Sigh.
They said if I don't pay the £660, I run the risk of killing a component on the gearbox :mad:

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
I was passing the Honda stealers, so I popped in to get back it checked over... been diagnosed with a knackered clutch. Explains why the bite point is practically on the floor. Another bill. Sigh.
They said if I don't pay the £660, I run the risk of killing a component on the gearbox :mad:

Send me a PM mate I can probably get it done for you quite a bit cheaper than that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the drive massively improved with the new clutch, but it still wasn't perfect. Recently I noticed the lights flickering when there was a change in power draw... seems the earth wasn't making very good contact! Cleaned the earthing points, it now drives like a decent car and starts a lot quicker too :) I guess it was literally starved of power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts