2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My FN2 has recently started to intermittently struggle to idle (around the last 1000 miles or so). See video (apologies for the terrible audio):

It doesn't always do this but when it does it is always from a cold engine and when it has been raining outside or has frozen. Especially bad in the mornings. Hasn't done it in the afternoon after being sat for 8 hours at work even if it is wet and cold (which is strange). This problem doesn't go away when I try to drive. The engine is very lumpy at low RPM and low throttle. It is happier when the RPMs are around/above 2500rpm with medium throttle application.

Only engine mod that has been done is an Injen cold air intake where the filter sits in the lower left portion of the bumper and is partially visible in the bumper mesh.

So far only the MAP sensor has been changed on the intake manifold, some new spark plugs and fresh oil (wasn't expecting the oil to have anything to do with it). A new air filter has been ordered as mine has done around 15,000 miles. If this doesn't work then i'll probably get the MAF sensor changed too.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I'm open to suggestions!

Dan

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
That screams vacuum leak to me.

I'd check for tears in the hoses and around the MAF and possibly the throttle body gasket (less likely). Mainly the intake connectors off the injen and around the air assist hoses.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has the car been mapped since adding the CAI?
It's not had a remap, no. But i've had the CAI for about 12-18 months now and this is the first problem i've had. A remap is a future plan though.

That screams vacuum leak to me.

I'd check for tears in the hoses and around the MAF and possibly the throttle body gasket (less likely). Mainly the intake connectors off the injen and around the air assist hoses.
Would this explain the problem disappearing once the engine has warmed up? I would've thought a vacuum leak would be present at all temperatures. Although I guess things shrink when cold...

I'll check all the hoses but will suggest this to the garage when i head there next week. Cheers!

·
4,275 Posts
Would this explain the problem disappearing once the engine has warmed up? I would've thought a vacuum leak would be present at all temperatures. Although I guess things shrink when cold...

I'll check all the hoses but will suggest this to the garage when i head there next week. Cheers!
Sorry, I read "This problem doesn't go away when I try to drive." as it continues even once warm.

If that's the case I'd at least check around the air assist hose and the valve itself as when the valve is open it's letting in extra air that fluctuates the idle normally but only 50-100rpm on mine. Once warm the valve closes and idles stable so if it's got a leak between the intake and valve it may cause this. Doesn't cost anything to check it anyway :)

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Is the battery in good condition? It could be losing enough charge overnight to cause all sorts of running problems.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I read "This problem doesn't go away when I try to drive." as it continues even once warm.

If that's the case I'd at least check around the air assist hose and the valve itself as when the valve is open it's letting in extra air that fluctuates the idle normally but only 50-100rpm on mine. Once warm the valve closes and idles stable so if it's got a leak between the intake and valve it may cause this. Doesn't cost anything to check it anyway :)
Yeah mine used to fluctuate by around 50-100 rpm at the idle but this is all over the shop and the engine struggles even when throttle is applied. Makes driving in morning traffic a nightmare!

The old spark plugs had signs of over-fuelling which points towards an issue with the air intake (potentially! I'm not a mechanic...)

Is the battery in good condition? It could be losing enough charge overnight to cause all sorts of running problems.
I haven't checked the voltage yet but will do that tomorrow. Car hasn't been starting in a healthy way. The revs build relatively slowly as opposed to the usual few cranks and then the revving to around 2000rpm idle.

I thought that once the car has started the battery is no longer required? The alternator provides all the juice the car needs and also charges the battery?

The battery is probably getting quite old though. I've owned the car since April 2013, 54,000 miles and it is now on 98,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved!!

Somehow my air filter was getting soaking wet while the car was just sitting on the driveway. Currently using an Injen CAI which sits in the lower passenger side of the front bumper. Engine was being starved of air when it was a wet day.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
:shock: Do you know where the water was coming from? I've got an injen on the way.

·
4,275 Posts
Hydrosock FTW @flashy ;)
First thing that'll be going on mine, taking no chances!

Unless you go through a deep puddle that goes up to your brakes there's no way the filter can get saturated so a hydrosock will repel rain and surface water whilst driving.

The filter is also lay flat so the top and sides would be dry even if that water drained to the bottom of the filter.

Strange one but glad it's sorted, 100% get a hydrosock though, keeps the filter fresh too!

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
A sock is on the list :wink3:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i'm thinking a Hydrosock will have to be ordered! Does it make any sound difference or cause any air restriction?

The filter had done 20,000 miles by this point. I'm not sure where the water was coming from but i never drive through big puddles. So the water must be leaking into that section of the bumper. I have many broken clips around that area too. Need new arch covers!

My car is parked at 45 degrees on my driveway which also slopes downwards. That corner of the car is always pointing down so I think rainwater just funnels it's way down that way and drips onto the filter. I am parking the other way up now :p

I'm also thinking of blanking off the hole in the front bumper where you can see the filter through. I had an issue one day when it was particularly wet and the spray from cars in-front of me eventually caused the filter to saturate and the car cut out.

Poor car. All fixed now and feels as good as new!

·
4,275 Posts
From the sounds of it a hydrosock will sort the issue, it repels the water away for anything other than standing water so spray etc will "glide" off. Sounds like bad luck with the car facing towards the filter mixed with broken clips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts