2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving an FN2 Type-R whilst my Accord Diesel had it's clutch replaced & it made for an interesting comparison to my old DC2 Integra R

The noticeable difference is the flexibility of the K20A motor. The 6 speed box & short ratios really make it feel punchy low down- quite impressive really. The power delivery is thus quite linear & makes the VTEC feel less impressive.

The car feels planted on the road with a good level of grip- though I found it rather fidgety at the back end- almost like the damping isn't quite right

Brakes- excellent.

I have a few gripes though.

1. Why oh why do the revs hang up so much between gear changes?? Bl**dy annoying at minimum & a pig to drive smoothly when changing up at less than max rpm.

2. Build quality. Plastic everything. From the silver plastic fuel cap to the coin holders- I was shocked at the abundance of poor quality plastics. The loose fitting plastic mesh insert in the bottom of the steering wheel is another example.....

3. Dash ergonomics- As my missus pointed out- it's just a horrible jumble of odd shaped switches with no two seemingly matching.

All in all I thought the engine was the stand out plus point- let down by the horrible hanging revs above 5k- I'd need that addressing ASAP. A decent drive if not outstanding...

Perhaps a type r for the masses??- certainly lacks the special appeal of the DC2 ITR

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Sounds like maybe your courtesy car has been abused somewhat.

The mesh in the steering wheel of my Type S is both well fitted and tight. No flex, no movement.

The plastics seem aesthetically fine to me - a lot better than in the Toyota Rav4 I came from which just had hard scratch easy plastic everywhere. At least in the Honda it feels soft and tactile. The only complaint I know of is the fact that the Honda plastics can also scratch.

My only complaint is the plexiglass over the speedo as its both difficult to keep clean and scratches. A nano tech plastic which dirt can't stick to and which has an anti scratch coating would seem the way forward here.

Personally I don't have a problem either with the dash ergonomics either. Only confusing thing at 1st is working out which switch defrosts the rear window and which the front! Once you've found it its easy.

I would prefer different vent combos on the heater though to those currently offered.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Personally I don't have a problem either with the dash ergonomics either. Only confusing thing at 1st is working out which switch defrosts the rear window and which the front! Once you've found it its easy.
I love the FN2 dash (so do my kids!) I just I didn't keep accidently deafening myself when I'm cold and I go for the heater control lol.

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
My mate was in my car the first thing he said was that he was impressed at the dash layout

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
This just shows that people think differently about stuff and thats 100% ok. The op doesn't like the dash but thinks the brakes are excellent. Most people here think the dash makes the car and that the brakes suck. Opinions -> everyone has one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the dash does look quite a mish mash at first but after a couple of days it makes sense where everything is. The breaks are pretty poor to be honest, especially compared to other cars in the class.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup opinions will always vary!

I was just a bit unimpressed that the interior felt no better than the base model 1.4 type s I had as a courtesy before it except for the Recaros...

Build quality on UK built Hondas is not a patch on Japan built cars I'm afraid from experience of owning both

This car was not raw enough to be a true type r for me.

The fact that Honda have already had to release a factory Mugen special shows the standard car isn't quite there in the way the EK9 & DC2 Integra were...no slip diff for example?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It may not be as raw but it is the modern evolution of the ek9. It still has the best engine and gear change in a hot hatch bar perhaps the 3.0 in the 130i. Yes the interior isn't the greatest quality but the spec level is impressive especially when you look at the competitors and how much is costs to add all the extras needed to match the GT.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's the perfect hot hatch but it is a pretty good one.

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
I dont think you can compare the EK9 & FN2. Across the board all modern cars are bigger and heavier then their older counterparts. This is purely down to safety regulations

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They both wear the badge.

The problem is the ek9 & dc2 were both focussed & lightweight. The later generations are heavier & softer

Honda caught on to the fact the badge stood for a certain amount of kudos & made it available to the masses but within toned-down chassis'

Anyone who has driven an ek9 or dc2 will perhaps empathise with my viewpoint.

I realise it may not be an overly popular view. Maybe the mugen is a true type r & the current r should be badged an s???

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
How long did you have the R as a courtesy car? I do think its very unfair to say that the FN2 should be badged as a Type S. The M200 is mechanicly the same as a FN2 and its only the cosmetics that are really different (FN2's of the same year come with a LSD as standard). The M20 is seen as the ultimate but obviously there are only 20 of them and they are so expensive as to be prohibitive

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm on about the proper 240BHP Mugen....

I'm not saying the FN2 is poor by any stretch- but for me as a former DC2 owner- there is something missing. The engine is fantastic- I'm a huge K20 fan now- the chassis dynamics & weight take the raw edge off the type r experience though.

IMO Honda realised offering "only" the same power as the previous EP3 with a higher kerbweight wasn't quite enough- hence the special edition.

Modifying the FN2 seems highly popular for such a new car too....shows there is room for improvement!

·
Bye Bye Type R
1,198 Posts
I'm on about the proper 240BHP Mugen....

I'm not saying the FN2 is poor by any stretch- but for me as a former DC2 owner- there is something missing. The engine is fantastic- I'm a huge K20 fan now- the chassis dynamics & weight take the raw edge off the type r experience though.

IMO Honda realised offering "only" the same power as the previous EP3 with a higher kerbweight wasn't quite enough- hence the special edition.

Modifying the FN2 seems highly popular for such a new car too....shows there is room for improvement!
Isnt that the same for every car, bike whatever

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
The dash is an oddity: I've always liked the styling but have never achieved a setup where I can look through the gap in the steering wheel and see the entire display: the top of the rev counter is always obscured.

And as for the interior plastics: many a true word spoken. Never understood why they didn't bung a grand on the price and do things properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isnt that the same for every car, bike whatever
Definitely. It is a sad fact of life that the latest incarnations of "hot hatch" models are invariably bigger & more lardy than their predecessors- hence the need for ever more power.

Honda missed a trick not giving the FN2 the ~220BHP K20 & LSD of the DC5 IMO- I don't see how it's meant to be significantly "better" than an EP3 Type R?

It just isn't IMO-

1 - 20 of 51 Posts