2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I expect to get on a rolling road from a STANDARD Civic Type R FN2? What should I class as poor, good and excellent.

I know honda say 200 BHP, but is that really the bench mark? Im guess not, as we have no idea of how this was tested.

Im sure I have seen some Standard Civ's pull in at around 175, but cant think where i have seen that. Is that the bench mark? I know alot goes into the mix when talking about rolling roads, air temp, fuel used, bonnet up/down. But just after approx. What BHP would you be happy with at standard?

I was floating about the idea of purchasing a second hand Gruppe M air intake, but not sure its a good idea, on the basis that I have no plans to remap the car, so I really don't think I'm going to see much for my gain for my ££ apart from a bit of CF.

I'm not a massive modder, just after low spend, and as much BHP/Torque as possible. Really not keen on the idea of spending £1000 for a Hondata and custom map from TDI.

Views please. :police:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Not too sure on standard BHP but a Gruppe M and a Hondata would be very good combination of mods, should be able to pick both up second hand for good bit under £1000.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not too sure on standard BHP but a Gruppe M and a Hondata would be very good combination of mods, should be able to pick both up second hand for good bit under £1000.
I think you mis-understood. I don't want a Hondata ECU, i'm actually trying to get rid of one.

I most certainly couldn't afford a Flashpro and custom map - this is why i am finding it hard to justify a Gruppe M as i'll never get my car mapped.

Its hard to get any real benefit from the Hondata ECU, as its not re-mappable for the modifications that you buy. The fact that it disables your immobiliser also, would be a little concerning from an insurance point of view. I know this could probably be fixed by getting your keys recoded, but its still not going to adapt AFR for the modifications such as Gruppe M, Header, Cat Back etc.

Anyway... Back to the standard BHP for the car and what would be expected from a standard Type ArggghhRR... No one got any ideas?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil... 360 LED's? Did you need to alter the wiring loom for that?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
360 25 LED sidelights, they are a straight swap, purchased from Mr JP, apologies must have misread, on the other hand, my brother ran his type r with hondata, miltek, gruppe m and together they made a noticeable difference, was never dynod though so BHP figures u/k

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
360 25 LED sidelights, they are a straight swap, purchased from Mr JP, apologies must have misread, on the other hand, my brother ran his type r with hondata, miltek, gruppe m and together they made a noticeable difference, was never dynod though so BHP figures u/k
This is totally off subject i know, but i was told that the car either makes them flash quicker, or not at all because of the low power used for them LED's. Can you get front and backs.

Replacing the front indicators is a complete bitch! But LED's would be cool, as at the moment I have one silver coated indicator, and one plain amber bulb - courtesy of my Local Honda Dealer being complete chumps when it comes to doing anything with a Honda. REEEETARDS.

How much..

·
Move over..comming thru!!
533 Posts
Its hard to get any real benefit from the Hondata ECU, as its not re-mappable for the modifications that you buy. The fact that it disables your immobiliser also, would be a little concerning from an insurance point of view?
As you're not looking to mod your car that much I would have thought the Hondata would offer a great benefit, much better performance, better economy etc? The immobiliser issue can be got round by having a key recoded but even without this it shouldn't be an issue with the insurance - Chris Knott didn't have a problem with it at all when I got mine...

·
Unbelieveable Vteccers
837 Posts
My car was dyno'd at Corten Miller in Linolnshire when it was standard and it had a healthy 203.5 bhp at the fly, and 167 bhp at the wheels. I believe hat to be around average on a standard Type R.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you're not looking to mod your car that much I would have thought the Hondata would offer a great benefit, much better performance, better economy etc? The immobiliser issue can be got round by having a key recoded but even without this it shouldn't be an issue with the insurance - Chris Knott didn't have a problem with it at all when I got mine...
Yeah I guess your right. Guess I was a little bit of a baby when it comes to adding alien ecu's onto my car. Its to late now anyway, its on ebay and doing pretty well. TDI didnt give me much confidence about the Hondata ECU, they were telling me all sorts of storys, probably because they wanted me to buy the Flash Pro.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car was dyno'd at Corten Miller in Linolnshire when it was standard and it had a healthy 203.5 bhp at the fly, and 167 bhp at the wheels. I believe hat to be around average on a standard Type R.
Champ White? with LSD? or another Type r?

This is a massive starting point, thanks for the intel, really appreciated! Just what I was after!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Champ White? with LSD? or another Type r?

This is a massive starting point, thanks for the intel, really appreciated! Just what I was after!
You will prob find a standard type r between and 198 and 205bhp. Older models got stronger I think. This is for non CW models or Mugen by the way.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will prob find a standard type r between and 198 and 205bhp. Older models got stronger I think. This is for non CW models or Mugen by the way.
At the Fly tho right, defo not at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
This is totally off subject i know, but i was told that the car either makes them flash quicker, or not at all because of the low power used for them LED's. Can you get front and backs.

Replacing the front indicators is a complete bitch! But LED's would be cool, as at the moment I have one silver coated indicator, and one plain amber bulb - courtesy of my Local Honda Dealer being complete chumps when it comes to doing anything with a Honda. REEEETARDS.

How much..
Not sure about the indicator bulbs I'm afraid, mine are LED sidelights, give Mr JP a shout in his for sale thread, he may have some indicator bulb info for you, I just have the standard ones fitted to mine, they are both the same though!

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure about the indicator bulbs I'm afraid, mine are LED sidelights, give Mr JP a shout in his for sale thread, he may have some indicator bulb info for you, I just have the standard ones fitted to mine, they are both the same though!
When ever you touch the bulbs, how do you align them properly so you are within laws etc. Surely if you fiddle with them that will put the alignment out.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At the fly. The manufacturer will always give the figure 'at the fly' unless stated since it looks better ;)
Thanks mate, I'm guess 165-180 BHP at the wheel would be a great achievement

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
When mine was standard it had 3 dyno runs back to back & pulled 199.3bhp, 199.7bhp & 200.7bhp so mine made the quoted figure from honda.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When mine was standard it had 3 dyno runs back to back & pulled 199.3bhp, 199.7bhp & 200.7bhp so mine made the quoted figure from honda.
:eek: Good Job! Bit worried about putting mine on a Dyno incase it chucks up 100 Bhp at the Fly.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
The Gruppe M intake was supposed to give 14bhp on the road to a standard car. You will never see this gain on a dyno though as the ram air scoop which makes this famous wont be pushing properly etc...

As for cheapist gains Flashpro is the direction to go, you dont even have to get it fully mapped! The Group N map is good enough. This is the best bang for buck you can get, the mid range will be far better than standard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts