2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

My brother has got some problems with his type R (2008).

Let's introduce the mods first:
- catalic converter and lambda sensor removed
- miltek catback
- cai cpl + k&n air filter
- hondata flash pro
+ few other not related to the problem upgrades

He had it serviced recently by a local mechanic and now engine is locked out in emergency mode. Vtec doesn't kick in and when it supposed to engage engine is getting noisy with no extra power. It started happening 60 miles after having it serviced. After connecting it to the computer he said that vtec works properly but the oil temperature according to the sensor is -40 degree! During the service he left the radio on and the battery died. He connected the cable to fire up the engine. Later computer showed that some errors with changing cams location. After erasing errors they haven't appeared again but car is still in emergency mode and temp. still -40. He is using Motul xcess 5w40. Any suggestions?

Second problem is with breaks. Discs and pads have been upgraded half of a year ago but previous owner was using motul rbf600. Breaks were rubbish on cold breaking liquid so it has been decided to replace it with motul dot 5.1. Now the rear right wheel is breaking and computer throwing error with breaking sensor. On the dashboard vse and engine check lights are on.

Please help if you have any ideas.
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Pure speculation but it sounds like the oil temp sensor is stuffed, so it will not VTec thinking oil is too cold to safely do so.

As for brake fluid and brake performance, no matter what DOT rating, brake fluid is hydroscopic, that means it absorbs moisture, that means its boiling point lowers from its original DOT rating, hence the usual 3 year change time. The longer you leave it the more likely it is to boil and get air in the system which is compressible, unlike the oil without air alone.

I cannot understand why even 10 year old fluid would throw a fault code, it would just boil on heavy use and cause the pedal to go soft.

Not the answer you want but being safety related on brakes, just take it to a main dealer, saving £100 on labour is nothing compared to an insurance excess!.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Pure speculation but it sounds like the oil temp sensor is stuffed, so it will not VTec thinking oil is too cold to safely do so.

As for brake fluid and brake performance, no matter what DOT rating, brake fluid is hydroscopic, that means it absorbs moisture, that means its boiling point lowers from its original DOT rating, hence the usual 3 year change time. The longer you leave it the more likely it is to boil and get air in the system which is compressible, unlike the oil without air alone.

I cannot understand why even 10 year old fluid would throw a fault code, it would just boil on heavy use and cause the pedal to go soft.

Not the answer you want but being safety related on brakes, just take it to a main dealer, saving £100 on labour is nothing compared to an insurance excess!.
rear calliper could be sticking ?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
No oil temp sensor on the car.

Its the coolant sensor that's gone. Vtec won't engage when cold.

If the rear wheel rotates freely then the abs sensor is damaged too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The temp sensors will show -40 when faulty or damaged/loose connection. Happened with my ambient temp sensor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies. I'll pass that on to my brother. The callipers have been checked and they are ok. It could be the wheel speed sensor tricking the vse and forcing it to break. I'll ask him to double check the coolant sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts