2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, got an fn2 type r 59 plate 70k miles with a knocking left rear, only seems to do it when i go over a pot hole that is quiet harsh.

Exhaust mount was welded back on by honda, could this be it? Exhaust seems tight however.

Taken everything out the boot and driven it, the noise is still there.
Am i correct that the fn2 doesn't have rear antiroll bar links?

Any help would be great, hoping its not the shock as its not happening over speed bumps, I know the car had the upgraded rear shocks by honda due to previous service bulletin on the previous.

Thank you.

·
i-Vtec
2,229 Posts
Suspension wise its just a twist rear beam with 2 mounting points to the body and these rubber bushes can fail. Have a look and see if the are cracked. Shock absorbers mount to the rear axle and come up into the boot space. Again bushes top and bottom can fail, as well as the actual shock absorber. There is also a bar that runs through the middle of the axle on the type r too. Best bet is to get under it and have a look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. If it is a rubber bushing is it a cheap fix? I presume any of the above issues will be detected in an mot and service?

Thank you.

·
i-Vtec
2,229 Posts
The bushes shouldnt be too difficult for a garge to replace, they are pretty cheap. A garage who has done them before may be able to do them without removing the whole axle from ther car. Its worth saying to the garage at service/MOT that you have a knocking from the rear and they will have a closer look.
It could also be a broken spring as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply.

If i manage to look myself, is a worn Bush all split? Are the parts easily accessible?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Ill take a look least l get an idea of what it is. You say there is a bar that runs through the middle of the axle. Will i be able to see that. Could that play a significant part in the knocking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your help. I grabbed the left rear shock and wiggled it quiet hard side to side and heard a slight clicking from it. The right side i had no clicking at all.

Presumably thats the sign of a worn shock?

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Thank you for your help. I grabbed the left rear shock and wiggled it quiet hard side to side and heard a slight clicking from it. The right side i had no clicking at all.

Presumably thats the sign of a worn shock?
or the nuts need tightening?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point. Theres a bolt on the bottom and on the top through the boot. Worth giving them a nip up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts