2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I currently drive a Civic Mk8 2.2 diesel but I want something with a bit more power

Can anyone tell me realistically what kind of MPG do they get on average from there Fn2 Type R?

I really like this model of civic so I'm even contemplating a Type S with a remap.

Any answers and advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
34 Posts
I drive mine gently, mostly motorways, and set my cruise control at 60-65. A typical journey is over 80 miles each way and I get around 43mpg. My current mpg is 43.6 having done 323 miles, with it showing 112 left to empty. I've never actually got 400 miles to a tank, but then I tend to panic and fill up before I get to the fuel light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive mine gently, mostly motorways, and set my cruise control at 60-65. A typical journey is over 80 miles each way and I get around 43mpg. My current mpg is 43.6 having done 323 miles, with it showing 112 left to empty. I've never actually got 400 miles to a tank, but then I tend to panic and fill up before I get to the fuel light.
Is that in a 2.2 diesel?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why do you buy a type R to worry about MPG? Drive it and enjoy it. And if you chip your 2.2 you can make it pretty much as quick in real life driving anyway!

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
With my FN2 I get somewhere around 35 on the readout on a regular 80 mile round trip if i use cruise and keep to about 70 with a little bit of Vtec fun thrown in.
Around town it won't make 30.

agree with @andyk134 didn't buy it for the fuel economy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Drive a R18 or Type R.

They're annoying to drive, I'll take a remapped diesel over a Type R or R18 all day long.

The 2.2 has power on tap, sitting in 6th down the motorway at 80mph and need to overtake someone quickly the diesel will come straight on to boost and be off. In a Type R or R18 you need to do two down shifts get it into the high end of the rev range and plant it. To get them moving you really need to rag their heads and get them on the cams.

Also those saying they get high MPG on their Type R's are pottering along under the speed limit. They're doing 50 or 60mph everywhere. I rather do 80mph everywhere and arrive on time, than be there a half hour later. Also around town in a R18 or Type R you'll be looking at around 25-30MPG if you're lucky. They're only doing good MPG at a set speed on the motorway over a period of time.

And if you have a heavy right foot, expect 18-20MPG.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT
34 Posts
Also those saying they get high MPG on their Type R's are pottering along under the speed limit. They're doing 50 or 60mph everywhere. I rather do 80mph everywhere and arrive on time, than be there a half hour later.
Absolutely. However in my defence, I'm never late to where I'm going, on account of leaving at the correct time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Nothing replaces a wide torque band...

My Civic is a 1.8 but prior I spent the last 7 years driving around in a 3.0 petrol V6 with more idle torque than the 1.8's max. (Said car has a linear torque line from about 1500rpm, it's always 200+ft)

On the road that translates to go in every gear and one can afford to be lazy with changes yet still make progress, often more than enough progress!!

I've also owned a high revving VTEC Honda years ago, an old MB6 with a version of the legendary B18 in it. Epic at the redline however 90% of the time it was just like driving anything else with no drama.

If OP's 2.2 is in good condition then give it a Stage 1, that'll probably be more than sufficient.

·
Premium Member
2009 FN2 Type R
290 Posts
I get around 30mpg, with a mix of driving styles, hardly ever see a motorway, mainly B roads.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your diesel isn't remapped, and you're still on the original clutch with the issues of premature failure, then the stage 1 map will finish it off in a matter of weeks.

A new OEM replacement clutch and dualmass can more than handle a stage 1 map. The competition/uprated clutches aren't worth the money, as they all fail prematurely.

You can get the clutch and flywheel kit from Cox for around £600. They say it's on offer with X amount off, but it's like a DFS sale. You can always get it for around £600.

Or if your 2.2 is on its way out, you could always replace it with a 2012 9G with the 2.2 engine, and the cast iron manifold from factory. I'm considering a 2.2 2010+ Accord next.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If your diesel isn't remapped, and you're still on the original clutch with the issues of premature failure, then the stage 1 map will finish it off in a matter of weeks.

A new OEM replacement clutch and dualmass can more than handle a stage 1 map. The competition/uprated clutches aren't worth the money, as they all fail prematurely.

You can get the clutch and flywheel kit from Cox for around £600. They say it's on offer with X amount off, but it's like a DFS sale. You can always get it for around £600.

Or if your 2.2 is on its way out, you could always replace it with a 2012 9G with the 2.2 engine, and the cast iron manifold from factory. I'm considering a 2.2 2010+ Accord next.
Are the later 2.2 Honda engines reliable then? As they ULEZ?

As I've always wanted to own a fat barge cruiser that is the Accord. They're a defunct model now so time is running out!

Meh appears only the later 1.6D is ULEZ...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are the later 2.2 Honda engines reliable then? As they ULEZ?

As I've always wanted to own a fat barge cruiser that is the Accord. They're a defunct model now so time is running out!

Meh appears only the later 1.6D is ULEZ...
No diesel prior to 2015 (65) is (Euro 6) ULEZ compliant. The 2.2 is in it's final form in 2012 iDTEC.

Also I'll probably keep the R18 until my mileage goes up. The R18 isn't causing me any problems, just boring to drive.

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,489 Posts
I get 26mpg,bt ultimate, I can put in around £30-£40 a week with spirit driving everywhere, that’s my gauge. Don’t gauge the mpg for this car, when you have been in one it has to be hammered for the enjoyment, why buy the car to potter or watch the mpg doesn’t make sense to me, it’s a little hothatch that has to be thrashed and the other flip side is petrol consumption. If you have to gauge mpg then 24-26mpg is to be recommend, if you get more than that it’s a bonus or you driving like a fairy🤣🤣🤣. If you drive like me that’s what you will achieve it’s just fact due to the cars nature to be driven hard for the fun factor and by no means if you get one you will😂

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,085 Posts
When I was using my FN2 as a daily I struggled to get close to 30mpg, usually around 24mpg of city and motorway driving combined (but I never drove it sensibly, that's why). I was somewhat unlucky becuase I've had quite a few bits go bad on mine in a very short period of time, far more than what others have experienced and I suspect it's becuase mine was abused and not maintained properly.

Biggest nuisance was the £375 odd quid road tax, the high insurance cost (costs more to insure and more in road tax than my FK8 daily right now) and of course fixing the neglect from the previous owners. But really this is all to be expected when you buy any CTR (minus the mechanical issues I've had on mine). As others have said, you don't buy one for a fuel efficient means of transport 😆

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mines running 240bhp and I get 320-340 on a tank with cruising and around town. If I drive aggressively, that'll drop to c280m. And it its all motorway, I have had 360-370.

Mines on 100k. In past year, air-con condenser went just as I was about to go on road trip to ring, so I had to get done in first garage I came across and they charged me £250 for condenser plus £50 labour and £60 to re-gass. Now the compressor has just gone and I'm looking into used ones.

Both drive shafts have gone, replaced with J&R £135, plus local guy fitted for £50 labour.

Throttle body has gone, sourced a use one for £65, and c£40 labour, but that is not currently running properly so will be further costs to resolve.

All my shocks needed replacing just after I bough it, but I ended up getting coil overs.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Motorway at 70-75 is 36-34mpg, in London around 27-29mpg if you driving like a normal person.

Speak to Paul West at TPW engineering regarding remap of your 2.2 - you may not want to go Type R route after all.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Also take into consideration what work if any you have done to your 2.2. For example near enough every FN2 >11 years old right now is more than likely due at least new front struts. Every Civic I've owned with varying mileage or others that have bought ones similar age to mine, have had to do the front struts and drop links. The petrol Type S and Type R both have sports suspension which can only be obtained from Euro Car Parts and Honda directly.

For some unbeknownst reason, Parkers couldn't get the correct struts for my car. And kept telling me "this one says it matches your car" but the angle was completely incorrect and a the helpful chap at ECP explained that the petrol Type S has sports suspension, but the diesel Type S share the same struts on all models. Which is why my suspension on the diesel Type S was >£100 cheaper.

The Type R's also have issues with third gear synchro (pop out of third or have issues getting into third.) And rust issues particularly around the rear axle, I've seen it on a few now, even the standard models.

I'm not a fan of changing cars as the whole buying process is a nightmare, I've lost count of how many vehicles I've walked away from. They have blatant issues that people hope you won't see. Even blatant crash damage.

I tend to just view cars where the ad is wrote out in good grammar, the service history is good and the owner is well spoken. Of course some will still try to scam you, but I inspect them thoroughly before handing my money over.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts