2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first of all, it's been a long time since I've posted anything on here and I hate to only come back when I need help and advice but here I am...

I have a 57plate NHB FN2 Type R GT (NAV+HFT) with around 63k on the odometer.

Without going into too much detail, it's been written off by the insurance company (Cat C). In essence, I got caught up in some flood waters a few weeks ago and as a result, the engine is well and truly dead. (Con-Rod snapped off a valve or two or something along those lines).

Estimated cost to repair/replace engine is around £7200 and I would value my car at around £7500-£8000.

Now then, I have made an enquiry to my insurance company to see how much it would cost for me to keep hold of my vehicle as I would consider breaking it myself. I don't preach to be the most mechanically minded but I can identify what is what in an engine.

My question to yourselves is, what sort of price do you think is fair in order for me to 'buy back' the car from the insurance company and break it myself without losing money and possibly making a fair profit from

As mentioned, it's an FN2 in NHB and is cosmetically sound. Few marks (car park dents, stone chips etc) but nothing out of the ordinary.

I figured in terms of 'cosmetic' bits, I should be capable of stripping these off the car myself and they should be worth a few quid but I wanted other people's opinions too..

Off the top of my head, these are the parts I know should be worth a few quid;
Full Type R interior (carpet, matts, door cards etc)
NHB GP rear splitter
Type R rear lights
Type R alloys (could do with a refurb)
Spare wheel kit
Fog Lamps
Head lights/grill

NAV (well worth looking into salvaging I would have thought??)

And as mentioned, with the exception of the engine, all other components and cosmetics are sound!

So can anyone offer any advise regarding an accumulative value and whether I should look to keep the car (what price I should be looking at) or whether I would be better cutting my losses.

I do have a garage so storing the parts isn't an issue however stripping them inside the garage would be.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
well with what you have listed your looking at around a grand
i have broke lots of subarus, think the first one bagged me over 5k in profit hence why i went on and broke more
if you get it at the right price then i would say do it , strip it on the drive and garage the bits then just weigh in the shell as cant think there would be much call for a shell. price your stuff to sell dont be to greedy, the good stuff will fly out and you get your money back and then the rest is profit , you can make a lot of money on small items trims etc

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
well with what you have listed your looking at around a grand
i have broke lots of subarus, think the first one bagged me over 5k in profit hence why i went on and broke more
if you get it at the right price then i would say do it , strip it on the drive and garage the bits then just weigh in the shell as cant think there would be much call for a shell. price your stuff to sell dont be to greedy, the good stuff will fly out and you get your money back and then the rest is profit , you can make a lot of money on small items trims etc

you can probably get an idea of what the various bits have gone for on here, obviously the risk is paying for a car and then not being able to shift the bits, and it might take you a while to shift everything. I would start by asking what they want as you may get a surprise at a low price, failing that you would need to weigh up what you can salvage, and the cost of selling (postage, packing), time etc, also do you have somewhere to store the car/salvaged parts etc

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll be looking at around £1500-£1600 to buy the car back. I've been trying to find some information on how the go about valuing salvage cars and the best thing I could find says they usually go for 21% of the cars value.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
buy the car back and stick an engine in it. A 20k K20z4 is around 1200quid and TDI north, grinspeed etc would have it in less than 2 days.

I've done it myself in 4 days including tuning.

·
#darkside
2,237 Posts
buy the car back and stick an engine in it. A 20k K20z4 is around 1200quid and TDI north, grinspeed etc would have it in less than 2 days.

I couldnt agree more.

A mate of mine blew his engine up, purchased a new one and fitted it on his drive in a day. It was a standard engine so there was nothing that really needed doing.

Sell the car on and dont bother breaking it, if you can buy it back and get an engine in and running for £3k then your looking at about £2k profit selling it on.

cant argue with that and its far less work than breaking on your drive way.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I'll be interested with the gp splitter
And also the rubber seal around the drivers door if you are breaking parks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I agree with the previous post about dropping a new engine in the car but another good option would be to break it as you mentioned, I've been breaking fn2's for the last year and they are worth a lot in parts, all depends whether you are willing to put in the time! If you don't fancy breaking it I'd be willing to buy it off you ;)

·
Living the dream!
8,545 Posts

I would do this but keep al receipts and try and get something in writing that confirms why the car is a cat c as when you sell this will help remove a lot of the cat c stigma as you can prove it was down to a simple engine swap and not a massive bump. If you pay £1500 to buy back and £2.5k for a engine fitted then you have a cheap car and a few £s in your back pocket ;). Best bit is some of the old engine may be salvageable for a engine re builder which means a few more £s for you.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've spoken to a few people and so far I've been offered £2100 for the car as it is which is a very tempting offer. Still awaiting a value from the insurance but I don't think I'd be interested in putting another engine in it at the moment although I wouldn't rule it out completely.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I've spoken to a few people and so far I've been offered £2100 for the car as it is which is a very tempting offer. Still awaiting a value from the insurance but I don't think I'd be interested in putting another engine in it at the moment although I wouldn't rule it out completely.
thats nothing!!

engine off ebay 750-1k ... you could get it to around 6-7k easily?!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I would be interested in the rear gp splitter mate :)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I'd be interested in the tailgate and front grill if you break it mate

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've decided to sell that car as it is (in one piece) so I won't be stripping it, however, I may still have a few small bits for sale but I'll advertise them as and when.

I've had a look on eBay and there are Type Rs for sale that have had a bad smash for upwards of £3.5k, I've been offered £2100 for mine and whilst that does make me a few quid, it is a dog eat dog world and ultimately I want as much as I can get for the car because it will be going into the new car fund (still undecided on what to go for though).

Do you think it would be more appealing to buy a Type R that has had a smash or a Type R that is cosmetically sound BUT needs a new engine?

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
I know which one i'd buy.

Infact if I had the spare cash i'd buy yours

·
#darkside
2,237 Posts
If I had the cash I'd have yours to do the fix myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts