2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done the valve clearances themselves on FN2??

After getting a new honda rocker gasket Ive took mine apart today knowing i could do them myself after watching all the videos on youtube.... So i thought..
theres no fn2 vids on youtube only ep3's and lads doing them

After fighting just to get my rocker cover off, ive lined up TDC and checked gaps on cylinder 1 intake valves, they just fit in a 0.23mm feeler that i was goning to set intake to. Its a little tight but it gos in which surprised me,

Now i realise i cant even see the exhaust sides, never mind be able to adjust them, the engine leans back slightly, dont know if the ep3 has a more level engine...

Also looks like the injectors and rail will need to come out to get to the nuts for cylinders 2,3,4 cause i dont have the 'special tool' just 10mm spanner and screwdriver

im expecting my valves to have tightened up seeing that my car done 90k miles, full honda service history by same dealer from new

My history only shows one valve adjustment done at 25k miles, ive phoned them twice and asked them to check their computers, they said both times they only have one record of valve adjustments at 25k

Anyone any tips on doing these yourself / getting to see the exhaust valves hidden round the back...

Thx

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not a fn2 but American version, looks similar.
I need to do mine, 57,000 miles, don't think it's ever been done. I have a slight weep from my rocker gasket so might aswell kill to birds with one stone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i had, cars all back together now cause need use it next couple days...
I rule the day i bought this car 7mths ago, nothin but STRESS
Dont suppose anyone knows why the crappy round battery terminals wont tighten up properly also when youve had them off?
Happened ages ago with the neg side when i had it off, today the positive side done exact same,
Seems once you dare undo them, they wont tighten up again,
ive not over tightened them, i did it very carefully today touch by touch, nuts gone tight yet the terminal will still move around....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll have let us know here if you try urs and can see a way of doing the exhaust side without the special tool thats costs around 37quid from tegiwa.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah I will, I was thinking of picking up the special tool, looks like it would make things a lot easier though.
I need to pick up an offset feeler gauge, gasket and the special tool.

I'm sure someone on here has done them and can offer some advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vid you posted ive seen before

The one second clip were he says 'im working on exhaust valves now' can see his car has much more room and visibility than the fn2..

Ive watched loads of youtube vids but most are engine out ones

Theres one good one with a young lad with red ep3 but he doesnt show any footage of doing the exhaust side either...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dont suppose anyone knows why the crappy round battery terminals wont tighten up properly also when youve had them off?
Haha thought that was just me. I just jammed the cable nut as tight as I could and pray it doesn't come off. Every car ive swapped a battery on has been like this.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
by the time yoy have finished, you could just pay honda the £100 for them to do it

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
if the car has full service history, why have the valves only been checked once???

·
Registered
60 Posts
by the time yoy have finished, you could just pay honda the £100 for them to do it
I find it hard to believe that a dealer would go to the extra steps to measure/adjust the valve clearances for just £100 extra.
Even more hard to believe that they'd do a good job either. (tightening the rocker nuts correctly etc)
Much easier to pretend they've done it and pocket the money.

Am I being too cynical?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the car has full service history, why have the valves only been checked once???
No idea, my service book wasnt stamped either for the one time they were done at 25k

But i have the service invoice and its checked on the backsheets as being 'checked and adjusted'

I asked them twice on the phone to check their computers which they did, only one record from years ago, maybe the girl who owned it refused it,

speakin to honda they told me she had refused a few jobs that were advised in last 2 years..

My car had one lady owner from new til i got it 7mth ago and it only ever went to greenacre honda in blackburn for any jobs that needed doing and yearly service / mot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find it hard to believe that a dealer would go to the extra steps to measure/adjust the valve clearances for just £100 extra.
Even more hard to believe that they'd do a good job either. (tightening the rocker nuts correctly etc)
Much easier to pretend they've done it and pocket the money.

Am I being too cynical?
Your not...

I find it hard trusting anyone to work on my car if i dont know them personally, most jobs i can do myself,

i cringe at thet Thoughts of paying some firm 50/65 quid an hour just for labour

I avoid at all costs, id rather try tackle it myself

·
4,679 Posts
That will depend a lot on what you do for a job. Try non-NHS dentist's prices for a starter.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
have you taken the windscreen cowl off ? that would give you enough room to do the clearances.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
have you taken the windscreen cowl off ? that would give you enough room to do the clearances.

Yes i had taken it all off, still cant see anything, you would be blind feeling around just to get your feeler gauge in the gaps on the exhaust side

1 - 20 of 44 Posts