2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've noticed today putting that my FN2 sometimes does not want to go into gear. When it finally goes in the engine can feel a bit rough at the low end or start of the gear.

Pumping the clutch peddle seems to improve things very slightly. The liquid level seems fine.

This problem seems to come from no where, my previous drive seemed completely fine. Car has done 190k with otherwise no issues.

Not sure what is wrong or what to check. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,259 Posts
if your pumping the cultch and then it goes in ok
it might just want bleeding to get some trapped air out
but the chances are its ready for a clutch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Yeah i have had the same issue arrive suddenly the day before running perfect, the next day struggling to put it into gear but the same fix seems to work.
Pumping the clutch pedal does seem to help it go into gear.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Try complete change of clutch fluid - cheap test.
If that doesn't work then sounds like a new one required.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,131 Posts
Faulty master cylinder or slave cylinder or clutch hydraulic damper valve?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a new clutch kit, will let you know if that fixes it. I figure its 11 years old and needs changing. Will let you know if that helps or if the mechanic finds anything else while he is inside it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased a new clutch kit, will let you know if that fixes it. I figure its 11 years old and needs changing. Will let you know if that helps or if the mechanic finds anything else while he is inside it.
It'll be undertray off, driveshafts out and loads of other stuff. While he's under there, get him to check the knock sensor, as they have a habbit of getting old and brittle and then breaking for no apparent reason. I think they're easier to get to from underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I seem to remember 2nd gear is notorious with the FN2, and 2nd to 3rd (?) with the Type R. Usually there's nothing wrong, it's just the way they are.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Going into 3rd can be an issue with the early FN2 TypeR, up to 2008 I think.
It pops out of gear and it was generally fixed under warranty.
Later ones don't seem to have same issue but most cars I have had are notchy to some degree going 2 to 3.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup was the clutch plate.
Mostly worn out after 11 years.
And a bit of metal near the spring snapped off...

I also put in a new friction plate as the shop that machines them said mine was "chrome-molly" material and can't be machined.

But fixed now. Now the clutch is very springy and grips way nicer. Also goes in gear now

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,131 Posts
Brilliant, glad it's sorted mate ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same issue.Changed slave and master cylinders which didn't help.Just ordered new clutch kit.Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts