2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my FN2 always idles at about 2000rpm first thing in the morning until it warns up. The only issue with this is it means my exhaust is loud every morning on the drive.

I know I can set it lower via Flashpro. What im interested in is does everyone elses FN2 do this, and why does it do it only first thing?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah not a problem just wanted to know if others did it, which appears to be the case.

Why does it do it only when cold?

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
It's just because it's cold and it's on the modern day equivalent of choke. To stop the car from idling rough and warm the engine up.

In the good old days of carbs you had to pull a lever out on the dash to put more fuel in the mix so the car would run OK when cold. When it warmed up, you'd push it back in.

Posh cars got auto-choke. :p

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's just because it's cold and it's on the modern day equivalent of choke. To stop the car from idling rough and warm the engine up.

In the good old days of carbs you had to pull a lever out on the dash to put more fuel in the mix so the car would run OK when cold. When it warmed up, you'd push it back in.

Posh cars got auto-choke. :p
Ah I see, Im to young to have had a car with a manual choke. I know Dielsels have them to this day

Cool so all good then, its being done to look after the engine, I wont fiddle vua Flashpro then.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine also does the same thing and the milltek is loud in the morning. Not seen it as a problem tbh ;)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine also does the same thing and the milltek is loud in the morning. Not seen it as a problem tbh ;)
My 86 year old neighbour does, apperantly since I got my TODA manifold and HKS catback I wake him up every morning!

·
The White Knight
1,486 Posts
My milltek wakes my step dad every morning nothing to worry about tho i let it idle for 5 minutes then drive away having 2 cars blocking me in makes it pretty safe to do so :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
My milltek wakes my step dad every morning nothing to worry about tho i let it idle for 5 minutes then drive away having 2 cars blocking me in makes it pretty safe to do so :D
Always been lead to believe idling your car isn't good. Just best to drive it when started.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Mine does the same and I always feel a bit guilty with the milltek burbling away :)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Always been lead to believe idling your car isn't good. Just best to drive it when started.
Idling is just as "bad" for the car as driving it. It becomes a problem when the engine starts overheating etc. Apart drom that its fine.

Yes ash its perfectly normal. Good thing im on camp during workdays and at home one the weekend and never get up before 10-11 in the morning so they dont mind :D

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
same here nothing to worry about mate.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
My 86 year old neighbour does, apperantly since I got my TODA manifold and HKS catback I wake him up every morning!
I bet his model T Ford used to do the same thing to his neighbours when he was your age!

I know I used to work all my neighbours up with my LCB exhaust on my MG Metro when I was 17

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Seems excessively high. No other car I know of idles so high on cold start. Usually it is mor like 1200 to 1400 rpm. I bet it is either some emissions thing or oil pressure related. Would like a good tech reason for it. Annoys my wife !!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You had your cams done yet Ash?
Next week now Tony, not got a confirmed date yet. Brakes are being done now my main stealers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts