2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a set of these fitted tomorrow to replace the crap already there. Anyone else use Focals??

Any opinions??

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree in replacing the built-in crap.

Havn't tried the Focals - fitted Polk db-6501 instead.
Also noticed that the built-in amp isn't exactly word class, so I'm going to repace that also.
In 2 hours.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
I 've known Focal from it's hifi-speakers, and back then it really was state-of-the-art equipment for DIY-speaker builders. That was some time ago, but for me Focal has a good reputation, and it was certainly good value for money. If I remember well, the polyglass technology was something they made the cones with, and it gave a crisp an bright sound, and a very straight bass. Please keep me posted when they're fitted!

K.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped the car off an hour ago. Had a look at the speakers and components. They are super slim and they have a lovely shiny silver magnet on the back - a lot smaller than comparable speakers. The guy who is fitting him (a professional by the way!) has them in his old stlye Type R and says thay are fantastic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right thats them fitted an sounding superb!!! The treble is crisp and loud, bass is improved - not earth shattering but 100% better.

I had to laugh when he showed me the old speakers. They weigh about 5 grams and are almost entirly made of ****** plastic. Probably the worst speakers i have ever seen. In fact no - they ARE the worst speakers i have ever seen

Next stop is sound deadening the doors as Japanese cars are notorious for having 'tinny' panels. Then a wee Genisis amp i think.:eek:

I was also looking under the rear seats...think theres some room for a couple of small subs under there?? Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
i got a set of polyglass 165 V2 installed about 3 months ago in the front of my TypeS. I got that sound insulation in the door when it was done.Like yourself 100% better but not earth shattering.
But now they have bedded in nicely. They will get even better with age(like a good wine)

CK

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my last car i had Focal Polyglass in the front, with a 10" Focal Polyglass subwoofer in a small 25 liter bass-reflex box. All of the components were directly adjusted to a 6-chanel Rockford Fosgate 360.6 amplifier. Very, very good sound.

I am also thinking about using the space under the backseats, in a closed box. I think the bass will be a bit to heavy for me in a box with bass-reflex pipe.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
... I think the bass will be a bit to heavy for me in a box with bass-reflex pipe.
Bass reflex enclosure has nothing to do with heavier or deeper bass. It's just another concept of building a bass box. In a bass reflex housing you have in fact 2 "speakers": the bas speaker itself, and the moving air in the bass tube or bass tunnel. When such system is well tuned, the enclosure can be smaller and you have a different sound.
Theoretically, there are two resonance peaks at the low end, and they should be tuned in such a way that both peaks are equal in terms of loudness.
There are several other types of enclosures: horn, bandpass, open cabinet,... All have different characteristics and sound. Most of the time, when you choose a chassis/speaker, it is suitable for one or two types of housing. IF you'd like to learn more, there's plenty of info on the net. Or download WinISD: a very userfull speaker designer program.
But, I'll shut up now, I'm getting carried away a bit... :)

K.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All very true.
The sound of a bass-reflex can be a bit heavy if the subwoofer is right behind you. In my opinion an closed box sounds a bit more "musical".
The Polyglass sub is disigned for a closed box (17-30 ltr).
I used this WinISD for disigning a bass-reflex enclosure. It gives the 27V2 a more heavy sound, what in my opinion sounds better in a bigger car (in my 307 SW family-van;)).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replied to your PM.

I am happy with the Focals but really really need a new amp.

Trying to save up for one now!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Replied to your PM.

I am happy with the Focals but really really need a new amp.

Trying to save up for one now!

If you haven't already done it, it is well worth putting some dynamat in the doors especially round the speaker area. :) You get a lot more sound power out of the speakers instead of vibrating the door panels that the speakers are mounted to.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dropped the car off an hour ago. Had a look at the speakers and components. They are super slim and they have a lovely shiny silver magnet on the back - a lot smaller than comparable speakers. The guy who is fitting him (a professional by the way!) has them in his old stlye Type R and says thay are fantastic.
Any need of speaker rings to fit your "slim" Focals?
Plastic Astra rings or MDF:s?

·
Registered
332 Posts
ive got a set of focal 165 a1's in the front and dynamatted, a jl 12" sub and jl g2250 amp in the boot, had this fitted all for £420.sounds superb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts