2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56 plate -EX Honda Civic

When using the button to fold the mirrors in, the driver side mirror doesn't move.
Only the passenger side one will turn in.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi All,

First time here, I too have this issue on my 56 plate - SE model on the driver side. Mine does move but doesn't stop even when it reaches the end, just keeps clonking and have to turn the engine off. Just got used to not folding mirrors any more. I have read a few reports that suggest it to be a common issue. Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated. Sorry for stealing your thread hapzuk :)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
56 plate -EX Honda Civic

When using the button to fold the mirrors in, the driver side mirror doesn't move.
Only the passenger side one will turn in.

Any suggestions?
Sounds like a bust motor or there's a resistor that can quite commonly fail.

Hi All,

First time here, I too have this issue on my 56 plate - SE model on the driver side. Mine does move but doesn't stop even when it reaches the end, just keeps clonking and have to turn the engine off. Just got used to not folding mirrors any more. I have read a few reports that suggest it to be a common issue. Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated. Sorry for stealing your thread hapzuk :)
The common problem is the wing mirror not traveling far enough, haven't heard of them travelling too far.

Could be the resistor again?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
The resistor that is mentioned is actually a shut off device (SOD), which commonly fails & causes the mirror to move slowly or not at all. As mpn_daedalus says, I've not heard of a mirror travelling too far although it could be a less common problem with the SOD!

I've attached a pdf showing the replacement procedure; maybe try swapping the passenger & driver side units over? I've had to replace both of mine out of warranty, £35ish each :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. He PDF is really helpful.
I bought the car from a private seller and it's out of warranty so I think I would just need
To try and replace it myself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How easy is this to do, I looked over the PDF and ordered one yesterday, they guy said it needs to come from Belgium so will be a couple of days, guy didnt know what I was taking about until I told him it was a Honda Bulletin and gave him the part number.

Does the painted cover just unclip if you hit it like in the photo?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
No matter what, I couldn't get the cover off like the guide demonstrates. I removed the mirror (get a screwdriver in behind and pop it out) then you can see the clips that hold the cover in. Pull on the cover as the Honda guide demonstrates and undo the clips at the same time to release the cover.
When I did mine it took 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I did mine few months ago and popped the cover off easily by hand without taking mirror out. Just have to pull upwards slightly.

I had the problem with mirrors folding out too much, asked dealer about this and they advised me that the whole unit had to be changed.

So luckily found a used set on ebay and this did the trick. A new unit was £136 I think from Honda, but I manged to get a pair from ebay for £140.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Had the same thing happening on mine, it's being repaired under Honda warranty, was told its a solenoid......don't shoot me, that's what I was told by Honda Halesowen :D

·
Premium Member
121 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My brother is good at this stuff so I got him to take a look.
He managed to get it off but not as the instructions.

He pulled it from the side. There are clips along the bottom of the cover and none along the top. Once you get the bottom clips hooks off then it's just a case of lifting it upwards.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If anyone in west london (ealing area) or in Reading (which is where i work) needs help with this. I would be happy to assist.
I just done the one on my passenger side and it took me 2 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi
My passenger side wing mirror got smacked by a very careful pedestrian who seems to have knackered it. When the car fires up it rotates almost 180 degrees and faces outwards. And if I try to pop it back into position it makes a nasty pop sound.

Do you reckon I'll have to replace the whole unit not cheap, or is there an easie fix for this?
Thx
Lee

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Unfortunately chap it might be the motor that's damaged in that case, meaning it's not going to be a cheap fix. Let your dealer have a look at it and go from there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.