2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1982 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Hi all,

This time last year I needed to replace 2 Mirror Shut Off Devices - one in each side - as my mirrors no longer folded up all the way. They are quite expensive for something so small!
As was my luck (or rather, lack of), a few weeks later TRAFO posted a guide on how to repair the SODs.
Having confirmed that this works on both semi-functional and broken SODs, I am now offering this repair service to forum members!

A new SOD posted from Cox is over £40. I am not wishing to make a profit from this service, and so a charge of £7 (changed from 16th Sep 2016) to cover my costs and effort seems fair. If you're feeling generous I'm sure there's a worthy cause out there that can benefit from some of your £35 saving... ;)

I will require your old SOD posted to me, and you will receive a repaired (not necessarily the same unit) SOD back via standard first-class post. Alternative postage can be arranged at cost.
Each unit is tested on my own vehicle both before and after to confirm the repair has restored the functionality of the mirror folding mechanism.

Please see post #9 below (or click here) for information on accessing the SOD.​

Old SOD
P1020045.jpg

Repaired SOD
P1020047.jpg

To recap:

As of 16th Sep 2016: £7 by Paypal.
I require your old Shut-Off Device.
You will receive a Shut-Off Device with the polyswitch replaced.

I will endeavour to have repairs completed and in the post back to you within 5 working days. You will be notified - either by PM or on this thread - if I am unable to meet this self-imposed timeframe.

As of Nov 2016.
A number of people have contacted me as they wish to perform the repair themselves, and are looking to purchase just the polyfuse. I used to sell these via eBay but the fees they impose mean that this ends up costing folks more just to cover them - which is not the objective of the service being offered!

As such, in addition to the repair service I am now offering direct sale of the polyfuse. This is a like-for-like genuine replacement item.
One polyfuse is £1.50 posted (second class), or two for £2.50.

To assist with this, I have created a detailed guide for performing the repair and it is freely available in a printable PDF format here: http://bit.ly/1LTeeJr
And as always, I'm happy to assist with specific questions.

Disclaimer:
I undertake the repair service at your risk. If the SOD is damaged during the repair or the replacement polyswitch does not resolve the issue, I will return it to you and refund your payment, minus the postage fee.
Repaired SODs will be sent only on receipt of your original. I accept no liability if I do not receive your original SOD.
As this is a repair service, no warranty is offered as I cannot guarantee the root cause of the failure.

I have read the trading rules and will follow them to the letter.

·
nulli secundus
350 Posts
Damn too late did same as you and chucked the old ones. £4 is awesome people would easily pay a tenner for it. Or you can donate to the charity that im the north easts representative of "help for heroes"

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great idea! Gonna get my SOD out this week and post it over.
When you are ready send me a PM and I'll provide details for postage and payment.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great price syx a lot cheaper than i expected.
Damn too late did same as you and chucked the old ones. £4 is awesome people would easily pay a tenner for it. Or you can donate to the charity that im the north easts representative of "help for heroes"
Thanks chaps, not in this for the cash in any way and would much rather see the benefit go to a charity - or even back to Civinfo if members haven't "supported" yet!

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Very generous of you Syx, will contact you when i have the nerve to take the mirror caps off and that little unit. Keep up the effort bud top man

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Top job mate, I only replaced mine last year too. If only I knew about this repair before. So you're replacing the poly switch with a new one, right.

But I don't think it cost £40 for the sod, if I remember correct think it was around 25 from the dealers.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Top job mate, I only replaced mine last year too. If only I knew about this repair before. So you're replacing the poly switch with a new one, right.

But I don't think it cost £40 for the sod, if I remember correct think it was around 25 from the dealers.
Correct. Has fixed the test SODs perfectly.

I didn't have an up to date reference so just took the price from Cox's website:

Lings is even more:

I think mine were £36 each collected from my dealer a year ago, and to be fair if I can't fix it I'll be refunding everything except postage so nothing to lose really.
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'd like to take you up on the offer :)

Will try get the SOD out this weekend and I'll be in touch.

For what it's worth, my local Honda dealer quoted me £90 to fix it so £4 is an absolute bargain if it does indeed work :D

·
Premium Member
929 Posts

For what it's worth, my local Honda dealer quoted me £90 to fix it so £4 is an absolute bargain if it does indeed work :D
I can assure you it does work Syx assisted me with my repair. My drivers mirror was very slow to fold in & sometimes stopped.
They are now fine.
You're in good hands.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Just wanted to check there was no problems with me driving around for a week without the SOD in place? Am I going to get any error codes? What if I accidentally press the fold button?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to check there was no problems with me driving around for a week without the SOD in place? Am I going to get any error codes? What if I accidentally press the fold button?
When I was testing the units I initially repaired, I unlocked the car to fold down the mirrors as I have one of MrBozo's excellent modules.
I had the cover off and disconnected the original unit but as I hadn't opened the car door it re-locked itself and the mirror on the other side folded up.

As such I can say that without the SOD you will lose the ability to fold the mirror (and nothing else), and activating the folding mechanism will not cause any error codes to appear.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

A PM is on its way.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
My passenger mirror does not fold in at all - could this be linked to this device? When i press the button, I can see the mirror twitching slightly but thats all..

Cheers

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My passenger mirror does not fold in at all - could this be linked to this device? When i press the button, I can see the mirror twitching slightly but thats all..

Cheers
One of the test SODs I repaired did nothing at all before the fix; and now works perfectly. Chances are it may well be!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Had your SOD repaired? Fancy a folding mirror module but mirrors playing up... not sure what to do?
Well here's something to help make up your mind!

MrBozo has very kindly offered to discount his superb mirror folding modules by the amount of £4 if you have your SODs repaired by me.

This essentially means you're getting the repair for no additional cost - sounds like a bargain from where I'm sitting!

Get a repair then head on over to MrBozo's thread
>>http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/47134-automated-folding-wing-mirror-modules-92.html#post1461356<<
and get one of these fantastic units for a bargain price!​

1 - 20 of 1982 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.