2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that the idea of folding mirrors is great, but when they are folded you cannot see so well behind (prety obvious really!):oops:

Any one any ideas for getting the fold to work from the key fob when locking up?

I have noticed that the fold switch and the door lock switch are together on the arm rest.

Is just a connection to be made between them?

There must be someone out there who can work out a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've thought that as well. When you park you fold the mirrors and then have to crane your neck round to see if any traffic is coming from behind.

As you say, door lock control would solve the problem. Instead of the fold/unfold button it would have been a good idea for a folding mirror on/off switch and have them operate (or not) automatically when locking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm suprised they didn't do this actually, seems like a sensible and logical part of folding mirrors.

Do they fold with the ignition off? you could check for all clear, open the door then fold up the mirrors....

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Big-Chris said:
I'm suprised they didn't do this actually, seems like a sensible and logical part of folding mirrors.

Do they fold with the ignition off? you could check for all clear, open the door then fold up the mirrors....
No they don't. Another short-coming on Honda's part. They would be a lot better - even a lot safer - if they could be folded when locking doors with the remote.

Honda are already boasting about their upcoming five-star result from EuroNCAP. Maybe they could look into this detail as well. I certainly hope they will.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another thing that would be cool if the side mirrors did it, would be to quickly and automatically turn downwards when reversing. It would be easy to see how close your wheels are to the curb and how well you're lined up, without having to mess with your mirrors manually before reversing. And when you're done reversing, the mirrors would return to their original position. Some luxury cars do this. It's just a software thing that would be easy to implement, no?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Skaven252 said:
Another thing that would be cool if the side mirrors did it, would be to quickly and automatically turn downwards when reversing. It would be easy to see how close your wheels are to the curb and how well you're lined up. And when you're done reversing, the mirrors return to their original position. Some luxury cars do this. It's just a software thing that would be easy to implement, no?
I do this manually at the moment, and it would be really useful, but automatically...hmm... you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?

·
Registered
251 Posts
basegreen said:
you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?
Actually, I'm not sure. But I can't think of a situation right now where I wouldn't want it to happen. :)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Skaven252 said:
basegreen said:
you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?
Actually, I'm not sure. But I can't think of a situation right now where I wouldn't want it to happen. :)
Surely for any reversing that doesnt involve a kerb?

·
Registered
251 Posts
... or a car right next to mine. I don't actually know, because with my Twingo I'm used to using the rear view mirror and just looking around, I rarely use the side mirrors when reversing. It might be a different world with the Civic and its blocked rear visibility (tho I'm going to have a reverse camera). I *do* use them when I'm leaving a parking place and want to see if cars are coming up from behind me. But that's going forwards.

A "turn the mirrors down" button would be dandy, sure, but that would be a hardware change. Unless it was implemented in the EX menu screen behind some command maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I had that on my old Lexus LS430, but I find that if you adjust the nearside mirror on the Civic sloping down, you can just catch a view of the kerb. The offside mirror is the important one for traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Skaven252 said:
... or a car right next to mine. I don't actually know, because with my Twingo I'm used to using the rear view mirror and just looking around, I rarely use the side mirrors when reversing. It might be a different world with the Civic and its blocked rear visibility (tho I'm going to have a reverse camera). I *do* use them when I'm leaving a parking place and want to see if cars are coming up from behind me. But that's going forwards.

A "turn the mirrors down" button would be dandy, sure, but that would be a hardware change. Unless it was implemented in the EX menu screen behind some command maybe?
Ah, of course, you don't have one yet :) The mirrors can be very very handy indeed when reversing around other cars :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
HI all, any more news on making the door mirrors fold with the key fob on locking , some clever person must have worked it put i hope ?
its crazy they dont as standard , its very dangerous getting out the car with them folded , especially if you are opening the door as someone goes past on a bike at the time !!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
don't think so Fusion, unless someone is being very quiet about it :(

I was even thinking of taking a feed from the door locking circuit to the mirror fold switch - but seeing as how they (now) auto-lock at 10mph that might not be such a good idea... :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
TTDegs said:
don't think so Fusion, unless someone is being very quiet about it :(

I was even thinking of taking a feed from the door locking circuit to the mirror fold switch - but seeing as how they (now) auto-lock at 10mph that might not be such a good idea... :(
HI ,
i wonder if anyone who understands car electrics thinks its a good idea to connect the door lock circuit to the folding mirros ? it sounds good to me , i dont need the doors to lock at 10 MPH so could give it a go if any could tell me how ?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
The other issue with this (could) be that it might be the same feed to lock as to unlock the doors.

This could result in the mirrors folding out when you unlock.

Fine most of the time - but not if you're parked in a tight spot...

For me, the best method would simply be to feed the switch (and the mirror motors) from a permanent live feed so at least you could fold them in with the ignition turned off

But delving into wiring diagrams (even if we had them) to find where the current power feeds are is a little bit beyond my normal '2 hour poke around' limit :(

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
TTDegs said:
The other issue with this (could) be that it might be the same feed to lock as to unlock the doors.

This could result in the mirrors folding out when you unlock.

Fine most of the time - but not if you're parked in a tight spot...

For me, the best method would simply be to feed the switch (and the mirror motors) from a permanent live feed so at least you could fold them in with the ignition turned off

But delving into wiring diagrams (even if we had them) to find where the current power feeds are is a little bit beyond my normal '2 hour poke around' limit :(
Bet a latching switch would work ok - Press to fold and press again to unfold :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
which is exactly 5 stages further on from where my ability runs out :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi all,
my ability ran out ages ago just thinking about it , we need the help of someone who is an expert at car electrics ?? anyone out there who can help us ? it would be so good if they folded on there own when the door locks !! you would assume you could just connect the lock output to the folding mirror output from the fuse box or whatever and it might work but i guess the problem is not knowing what happens if we get to wrong ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
This can be done but no simple answers. The theory of connecting to the central locking circuit direclty could work but has a few issues. It means that you would always have to drive the car with the doors unlocked (kiss goodbye to your auto-locking feature), this could be got around by having a 'sense' wire, which would be connected to a circuit that knows that the engine is running (more complexity). ie engine running -> doors locked = no folding. However, what about when you want to fold the mirrors when the engine is running. ie driving in/out of a garage perhaps.

I know my Bro' in Law's Mercedes has the auto-fold mirror function - I will take a look at how it works. There must be an over-ride which will not open the mirrors on un-lock, as mentioned somewhere else, that could be messy in a tight spot.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts