2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, and I'm sure I'm not alone, have noticed that there as been an increase lately in the number of For Sale and Wanted threads which are not following the rules.
The most common issues are people selling items here and elsewhere, and not waiting for responses on counter-offers before selling to someone else.

Generally, the trading on Civinfo is excellent - better than other forums I have seen where it's all down to PMs! I am grateful to the moderators and to Pottsy for having done a stellar job with setting up a framework for people to safely buy and sell, and for stepping in and helping members in countless examples rather than taking the "nothing to do with us" approach. The actions of staff are to be commended.
I think, however, it's time we enforced the boundaries framework a little more...

I suggest that the "banner" on For Sale threads be changed to remove the actual line that needs to be quoted, instead informing users to read the rules.
I believe that's part of the problem - it's too easy to copy and paste that line without actually understanding what you're agreeing to.

I would personally also like to see stronger action taken against individuals who break the trading rules, as often by the time the rules are broken there isn't much else that can be done other than accept an item has been sold outside of the rules.

Welcome any input, but don't want to turn this into a rant thread so please keep it on topic.

I struggled with deciding on where to post this (here or in the supporters section), but I think this is the right place for it - everyone's views are valid.

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
+1 totally agree with that

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Well said Sam !

I made my point on a thread earlier , ive also tried to raise the issue before with minimum post before you can sell or a minimum requirement of being a supporter for example

·
where are the pies??
541 Posts
my 2p....

totally agree. previous suggestion by other members including post count but i think the iTrader count would be a more suitable solution.

As this proved that the member have followed the civinfo rule/process previously (either as a buyer or seller) and will be less likely to not follow the rule.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I have also noticed a lot of people have not read the rules clearly, with the exception of items for sale elsewhere, confusion most often occurs regarding the two points below.

Copied from the trading rules,
"A buyer may offer the asking price or any other price making the offer dependant on further information being provided, such as exact shipping cost or better pictures. If such an offer is made, and assuming the offer is acceptable, then the seller should confirm this information before accepting any other offers."
Often if someone ask for further info i.e. how many miles has it done? Then someone comes in and offers asking price the 1st replier feels hard done to but should have put the offer in the first post with the question. Have also seen an item where someone offered asking price pending more pics of slight damage, then another offer of asking price was made and the 2nd was accepted.

Copied from the trading rules
"If the seller offers any items to a certain member at a certain price then said member should get first refusal at that price. This offer should contain the words "counter offer". That member has just 24 hours to respond, after which the original asking price is the default price again. If the seller wants to drop the selling price to all, then he should use the words "price reduced". If the seller does not use either of these key expressions, then it is assumed that it is "price reduced" and anyone may offer legitimately at that price."
Rarely do you see anyone use the words counter offer so it is then free for anyone to buy at this price, possibly a little unfair to the first buyer when it is the seller that has omitted these words.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I do agree but there is also the problem of "Do not post in the thread unless you are interested in buying the item!" yes I agree most of the time this rule needs to upheld but sometimes a lot of people just post any thing (hate to say it a bit CTRO style) and then others like I posted here to help a buyer and seller http://www.civinfo.com/forum/items-sale/89574-sill-garnishes.html#post1436104 which did help.

Problem from my point of view I once got an infraction for similar advice which I felt was ok and when I challenged this I was told due to the amount of thread crapping in the thread they could not punish one without the other even though my comment was advice / help and not negative.

I have also noticed items listed on the forum and ebay as well as items for sale on ebay with a photo from a ebay advert so does make me wonder what the item looked like the seller was selling (this was a set of wheels)

·
Coffee isnt my cup of tea
1,264 Posts
+1 Syx totally agree

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
It's a shame there are some illiterate degenerates on here who come here just to advertise a car or some crap then let the buyer down!

Your right Sam

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
It's a shame there are some illiterate degenerates on here who come here just to advertise a car or some crap then let the buyer down!

Your right Sam
Thats a more controlled response ;)

Compared to earlier today youll understand :laugh:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick, just to touch on the point you raised - it's a good one.

I myself have replied to For Sale threads to help out sellers and buyers, and I've been grateful when someone has done the same to me. It is technically against the rules however, and so if complete enforcement is the answer then we must obey for the sake of all the other rules!

My suggestion would be that positive contribution be allowed - at moderator's discretion... which is pretty much the unwritten rule as it stands.

·
I-Vtec... Do you?
1,731 Posts
Think we should have a proper bidding box or offer box bit like the bay for the seller to accept and decline in privacy or something along those lines then there's no confusion or issues?
Other than that no other issues
And a bad seller should get banned for life

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts

Your right Sam
You're*

Sorry, it was too good not to post after the illiterate comment :rolleyes:

I do agree with the points raised though, should be a minimum post count at least.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You're*

Sorry, it was too good not to post after the illiterate comment :rolleyes:

I do agree with the points raised though, should be a minimum post count at least.
My bad when using my phone I seem to be in a bad habit of always using your which annoys the arse off of me if someone else does it

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
My bad when using my phone I seem to be in a bad habit of always using your which annoys the arse off of me if someone else does it
You do like your 'bottom' comments, don't you? :laugh:

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You do like your 'bottom' comments, don't you? :laugh:
I cant help it i just find myself in a "hole" constantly ;) but yes i do like bum comments.

Bumming
Bumhead
Your an Arse

etc etc so on and so forth all my favourites i use them at work instead of swearing as i get put on the naughty step :rofl:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 122 Posts