2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

it’s been a long time since I last graced the civinfo forum. Last time I was here I owed a 2007 2.2 civic type s. shout out to all those involved with the big clutch upgrade debate around that time (2015/2016). Whether that be those who went competition clutch offered by TDI Tuning of the devil clutch, 666 with CG Motorsport. Good times!

anyway, I’m calling on civic owners with a 1.5 sport cvt. currently I am driving a diesel focusST and to be fair, I’m starting to feel it’s not the right car for me in just general day to day driving! I’m getting older now, have an 18 month baby and basically want comfort and the car to drive me. The start and stop on today’s roads is just a pain to be in with a manual car. I’m looking CVT as a new way forward! I test drove my friends Lexus with a CVT and given it was part electric it was just super smooth as lower speeds, cruised along nice and felt great to drive. Took about 20 minutes to get use to how the cvt behaves but it picks up nice and drives well. Im not a huge foot to the floor driver these days, so a light foot meant the car behaved great. On the times I did floor it to see how it behaved the revs behaved like clutch slip in a manual to a degree but again felt normal in that environment which I became a custom to. So any opinions on the sport cvt with the 1.5 engine? How does it behave in lower speeds, cruising? Anyone bought one and regretted it? Happy for all opinions..thank you!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a Civic Sport Plus with CVT, its my first CVT but had Audi's with DSG. It has done 2500 fault free miles and I am very happy with it. So relaxing to drive but can get a move on in sport mode using the paddle shifts. Its great around town and was just what was needed on a 1000 mile 3 weeks vacation around southern ireland where some of the back roads demand a nimble car, instant chages on the paddles just make life so much less demanding. Would I go back to a manual, no. Enjoyed my CTR and older Civic's with the 1.5T engine but all were manual. My partner has a 1.0 Civic CVT and she loves it, not enough go for me but thats life. I have owned many performance cars over the years right from the mid sixties so am not a young blood but changed my FK8 CTR for the 1.5T CVT, I miss the performance but may be at 75 I need to slow down.

Take care and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I have a Civic Sport Plus with CVT, its my first CVT but had Audi's with DSG. It has done 2500 fault free miles and I am very happy with it. So relaxing to drive but can get a move on in sport mode using the paddle shifts. Its great around town and was just what was needed on a 1000 mile 3 weeks vacation around southern ireland where some of the back roads demand a nimble car, instant chages on the paddles just make life so much less demanding. Would I go back to a manual, no. Enjoyed my CTR and older Civic's with the 1.5T engine but all were manual. My partner has a 1.0 Civic CVT and she loves it, not enough go for me but thats life. I have owned many performance cars over the years right from the mid sixties so am not a young blood but changed my FK8 CTR for the 1.5T CVT, I miss the performance but may be at 75 I need to slow down.

Take care and stay safe.
Hi,
I have a Civic Sport Plus with CVT, its my first CVT but had Audi's with DSG. It has done 2500 fault free miles and I am very happy with it. So relaxing to drive but can get a move on in sport mode using the paddle shifts. Its great around town and was just what was needed on a 1000 mile 3 weeks vacation around southern ireland where some of the back roads demand a nimble car, instant chages on the paddles just make life so much less demanding. Would I go back to a manual, no. Enjoyed my CTR and older Civic's with the 1.5T engine but all were manual. My partner has a 1.0 Civic CVT and she loves it, not enough go for me but thats life. I have owned many performance cars over the years right from the mid sixties so am not a young blood but changed my FK8 CTR for
Awesome response. Thank you for the detail. I had read on the forums people preferred the CVT Matched with the 1.5 is the better option over the 1.0. Sounds like you also agree with that statement from your reply! Part of my decision is looking for something that will be relaxing and easy going to drive!...also interesting to say you wouldn't go back to a manual now! I love this statement because I’m cautious I may swap and the regret not having a manual. Most people I speak to seem to agree they also wouldn't go back to a manual!
Thanks again for the reply

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing I wanted to check - with the CVT in the Honda, is there any sort of judder or just annoying issues that you would potentially get with a manual?

·
i-Vtec
2,605 Posts
I miss the performance but may be at 75 I need to slow down.
;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Another thing I wanted to check - with the CVT in the Honda, is there any sort of judder or just annoying issues that you would potentially get with a manual?
No issues with judder etc. And big plus is the 1.5cvt does not have auto start stop

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What car did you have before the CVT and are you glad you went with your choice? How long have you owned it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had 9th Gen 2015 1.6 diesel civic befire
Now have a 2018 10th gen for two years. Much more comfortable and quieter than the 9th gen.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one! Thanks for the reply on this..seems like people with the 1.5 cvt are happy with their choices. I loved my type s 2.2 and really like the idea of coming back to the civic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 1.5 CVT 18 plate prestige for a little over 2k miles. Smooth as anything at any speed, very comfortable ride and the adaptive cruise control is good enough. The lane keep assist is... not great since it tens to bounce between the road markings. Maybe one day they'll start using lane centring technology.

I am coming from a seat leon 2.0 diesel automatic (very similar bhp) and the Civic's CVT is much smoother than the DCT.

I can say the Civic is considerably ahead in handling, similar in comfort but worse infotainment system. Also, absolutely hate not having a knob to turn for AC intensity. Overall, very happy with the choice though. Very very fun on bendy roads up in the Highlands 😁

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the air conditioning knob down to model age? - could have swore the ones I’d looked at had air condition controls?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had my 1.5 CVT 18 plate prestige for a little over 2k miles. Smooth as anything at any speed, very comfortable ride and the adaptive cruise control is good enough. The lane keep assist is... not great since it tens to bounce between the road markings. Maybe one day they'll start using lane centring technology.

I am coming from a seat leon 2.0 diesel automatic (very similar bhp) and the Civic's CVT is much smoother than the DCT.

I can say the Civic is considerably ahead in handling, similar in comfort but worse infotainment system. Also, absolutely hate not having a knob to turn for AC intensity. Overall, very happy with the choice though. Very very fun on bendy roads up in the Highlands 😁
have heard the info system is a bit naff. It sounds like you’re happy with your choice also. This is the general feel I’m getting with regards to this car from a lot of owners, which is positive. Would you take your previous car back over the civic or did you make the right decision on the change? Also what’s your preference for auto over manual. Have you mainly always gone auto?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you take your previous car back over the civic or did you make the right decision on the change? Also what’s your preference for auto over manual. Have you mainly always gone auto?
No, while I miss some things about the Seat, I'm in love with how the Civic handles.

I used to think automatics weren't for me, tbh, but I really wanted to encourage my missus to drive more without owning two cars and she felt way more comfortable driving automatics.

Before the Seat I drove a 07 plate 2.2 Civic (manual) and it took me a few months to get used to driving the automatic but, now, I have to admit I quite enjoy it, predominantly for urban driving. For when I want additional control, I have paddles to play with, even if the car won't let me go into the red :LOL:

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, while I miss some things about the Seat, I'm in love with how the Civic handles.

I used to think automatics weren't for me, tbh, but I really wanted to encourage my missus to drive more without owning two cars and she felt way more comfortable driving automatics.

Before the Seat I drove a 07 plate 2.2 Civic (manual) and it took me a few months to get used to driving the automatic but, now, I have to admit I quite enjoy it, predominantly for urban driving. For when I want additional control, I have paddles to play with, even if the car won't let me go into the red :LOL:
This is really promising to read. Thanks for coming back to me. I feel I’m in a similar boat in terms of car ownership and the direction I now want to go. And it’s promising that likewise I too had the 07 2.2 Civic manual...absolutely loved this car! I really want a CVT just for general cruising and now having to worry about dealing with gears...a lot of people try to warn you against one (in general) but those who have jumped ship tend to love it. I currently own a FOCUS ST diesel manual but I think I’m done with those sort of setups now. Want something for comfort and relaxing - this would be right up my street! Equally I am currently nursing a long term injury on my left knee and in this day and age with the start stop around towns my knee just can’t cope! Hence the decision to try the CVT.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Remember the CVT will require an oil change every 2 years or so. Ask dealer for prices. Here in Ireland it can vary from 150-200 euro.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally I find to get the same enjoyment from an auto you need to be going at considerably higher speeds where as with a manual you can enjoy normal urban driving with a sharp right foot and quick shifting to stay within the speed limit.

But anyways, the cvt is smooth, just the nature of its design compared to a dct that the vag group use. Problem with those dct is they are dry clutches meaning the car wants to clamp a gear as quickly as possible which for 1 to 4mph isn't the best and jerky. Not like dct have the advantage of being lightning fast anymore when a 8speed zf box is just as quick as shifting and a lot smoother now...

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remember the CVT will require an oil change every 2 years or so. Ask dealer for prices. Here in Ireland it can vary from 150-200 euro.

I take it the Cvt oil change forms part of the service scheduling as standard...what are people’s preference with servicing? Being a CVT do you tend to stick with Honda to service your motor or would you look to use an independent garage?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine is a 2018 reg and I don't have a service plan but it goes to the main dealer everytime anyway.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m going for a test drive tomorrow. It’s a 1.5 prestige CVT I am trying, so I’ll see what I think. It’s the sport model I want but it’ll be good to have a feel for the engine and cvt working together. 👍 I’m hoping the garage let me take it out without the need of someone coming with me. That way I can go on a long test and try a mix of different roads I know by the dealership.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts