2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quick update on cvt. My car is in today for 2 year/40000km service. Just been informed cvt will not be due oil change untill next year. So it looks like a 3 year\60000km for cvt service.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is two years at 40000 on the civic? Wow! That’s quite a generous service schedule - considering 3 years or 60k is for the cvt oil. Very impressed with that. So service intervals are every 20k..nice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My last 2 cars were a Seat Ibiza cupra twin charged DSG. Renault Clio sport EDC and the Civic CVT is as good as both of those semi auto boxes and overall a better car even with all its niggly problems. The Seat Cupra blew up with 75 miles on the clock and the replacement car used half a pint of oil a month and was told that was normal. The Renault was trouble free for 4 years. My Civic has had sensor problems and suffers oil dilution but I still love it.😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
I swapped the diesel 9AT Civic which was terrible for the 1.5 petrol CVT a month ago and it is much better. I took a leap of faith and bought it without a test drive due to coronavirus. It feels slightly unnatural at first but you get used to it. There are artificial steps in the gearbox but I only notice them if you drive with a heavier foot. Most of the time I just put it in D and it glides along. S mode and the paddles are there if you want more fun. So far very good.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I have owned mine (Prestige version) since the start of 2018, so now over 30k miles. I loved it from the test drive and I still do. Previous cars were 8G and 9G diesel CIvic manuals. I have had no issues at all except the whine from the aircon, which was fixed under warranty. The engine/gearbox combination is wonderful and I never feel the need to use S more or the paddles. We like it so much we have now bought a HR-V Sport as well, with the same engine and gearbox.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Went for a test drive yesterday in a 1.5 civic sport! Brilliant sporty blue. Managed to get in the 5pm peak traffic on a long A road with load of start and stop! Felt really good. Didn’t really get a chance to open it up, except for a small window when I quickly joined but soon left the motorway. It handled the motorway really well and the pick up felt fine. Firstly you loose any feeling of wanting to ‘rag’ this thing..you just want to cruise!

My only niggle I had was towards the end of the test drive, when at one point the car felt quite sluggish. Not sure if it was a case of the car having next to no fuel in or the way I drove it at this point but I did decide to push it a little. It almost felt it was a bit slow to respond as if it had gone into some sort of eco mode or I wasn’t allowing the cvt to catch up with itself. I Remember at the time I put the throttle down but didn’t hold it down long enough so as the power came through, I came off the pedal completely (quite quickly) to then re-engage, as opposed to modulating the pedal. Who knows! I don’t think there’s any business and flooring a cvt to the quickly let off. After stopping again and moving on smoothly the car felt fine and was driving fine, so maybe it was an adjustment to my driving style that was needed...Maybe it was my right foot, I don’t know.

what I did find is that if you’re heavy on the throttle from the offset and hold it - you do get that rush of power quite quickly and again it was in that case I let off the throttle as opposed to easing it so the engine could settle. Bad habit from manual driving I guess.

When you drive smooth, the car behaves and responds better - so it’s not going to work in your favour if your hammer the pedals. You can also quickly loose track of how fast you’re actually going due to how smooth it is (glides) and it doesnt halve get to 30-40mph from lights at a nice pace without even pushing it.

Apart from that little minor niggle when it felt sluggish, I am pretty much sold on the car! I just want it to be the right decision. The garage have agreed to valet and clean the car up for Monday for a second view and I have asked for a second test drive with a bit more fuel in it. The car had literally just landed that day with no preparation what so ever. However it was the colour and trim I wanted... I have provisional put a retention deposit on it ready to make a decision after the viewing and test drive Monday!

·
Registered
675 Posts
A lot of people have fitted a simple plug in bluespark box for around £150 with members discount for a considerable increase in power and torque if you think it feels a bit sluggish.
I know you're after a cvt but the manual box in the sport is a very short throw slick box which is a pleasure to use.

·
4,245 Posts
If you need the extra quick acceleration because it feels sluggish, use the flappy paddles to 'change down a couple' and get the revs quickly over 3,000. (PS, you don't have to be in 'S' to do that)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you need the extra quick acceleration because it feels sluggish, use the flappy paddles to 'change down a couple' and get the revs quickly over 3,000. (PS, you don't have to be in 'S' to do that)

I’ve booked another test drive for tomorrow! Didn’t even try sport mode yesterday so will try out a few more things in the drive tomorrow. Car dealerships should do 48 hour test drives..that would be ideal..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Auto Express magazine did a road test on the cvt sport and recorded 0-60 in 7.4 sec and 30-70 in 6.1 which is pretty fast

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Auto Express magazine did a road test on the cvt sport and recorded 0-60 in 7.4 sec and 30-70 in 6.1 which is pretty fast
That is fast. Happy with those sort of speeds. Looking forward to test driving again tomorrow. Was out in town traffic around 5pm picking the baby up from nursery and it was a reassurance as to why I was going down this route. Ford Focus ST in start and stop traffic - just loses its appeal. Lock down was so much more fun when the roads were clear...haha. The council had even paid up to have the majority of pot holes filled as well haha.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’ll give the paddles a go tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a better test drive because I’ll have more time to really explore the car and try things out.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did not realise the flexibility of the car until I used the paddle shifts. Okay so this is not a replacement of a manual gear box but I thought they were awesome. The fact you can approach a roundabout on a dual carriage way, drop to d3, take the round about in this gear and then foot down out of the roundabout still in d3 just helps keep the car going and in the power band (this thing just pulls) and drop back to normal drive or shift up as you accelerate back to a cruising speed. It’s all good...I like that added bonus of having some sort of control over the gear system and the fact you can engine brake which is also great but then cruise and do nothing when you feel like it. The times I’ve explored the cvt and never realised the potential and flexibility of the system. I feel massively impressed and have realised the system is better than first thought!

·
4,245 Posts
Then turn it off. But I solve the 'problem' by generally reedin wot I writ before hitting the send/post button. :ROFLMAO:
But where does "runs" come into the gist of things?

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I’ve got my deposit on one - well the one I have been test driving. It is a used 68 plate sport model with 9k on the clock! Just going through the Honda work shop for checks to be approved and needs a good valeting! I’ve be going down tomorrow to make a final decision on it and then take it from there. If I’m happy with it then we are all good. The first test drive it was pretty much pedal go and stop! When you explore it a bit more and try some of the features it really is a good car and looks amazing to. Colour is brilliant sporty blue - my other two colours would have been black or the sonic grey pearl...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Then turn it off. But I solve the 'problem' by generally reedin wot I writ before hitting the send/post button. :ROFLMAO:
But where does "runs" come into the gist of things?
When I typed ru 'it' must of thought I wanted the word run/s

21 - 40 of 47 Posts