2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So it looks like I'll be in the market for forged pistons and conrods. Cosworth have been recommended but I'm not that familiar with the rep of of other models of pistons by other brands like JE and CP for example :confused: plus what would be the best piston CR value for a CTSC and the power I'm running. I'm not looking for a stroker kit btw just thy rod and crown :) Can anyone offer their advice/opinions on whats best value for money and best quality? Any help appreciated

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I would contact Ian @clockwise motion and get him to do you a block or at least talk over options
Do you know where clockwise is based at all? Looks like ridditch from the aera code but can't see nowt written in letters on their website.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Not too sure tbh. Have seen and driven his work and its fantastic. Maybe TDI etc too. There's different alloys etc for pistons with different properties for expansion amongst others that's above me :)

Pro job IMO :)

·
Aye Aye....
7,104 Posts
Are you going to increase power? I can't see how you'd need to forge the bottom end for 330bhp tbh, it's good for at least 400bhp

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are you going to increase power? I can't see how you'd need to forge the bottom end for 330bhp tbh, it's good for at least 400bhp
No not going for more power (at this stage) just more reliability really but then if I have it all out I don't want to have it out all over again should I itch to push for more power later-on really. Are the OEM rods good for 400 then? I know the crank is strong for 6-700 apparently.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Unless you get a chargecooler or water/meth kit fitted you wont be able to run a smaller pulley than that whats already fitted as the temps will get too high so your really at the limit of that charger now.

IMO its not worth spending any money on going forged etc as it wont gain anything except a big hole in your wallet.

Reactions: Laney

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you get a chargecooler or water/meth kit fitted you wont be able to run a smaller pulley than that whats already fitted as the temps will get too high so your really at the limit of that charger now.

IMO its not worth spending any money on going forged etc as it wont gain anything except a big hole in your wallet.
Fair point thanks. It seems after a visit to a known company I might need a new piston due to det. however leak down was at 5% so thats okay but theres a small small chunk of the crown missing on #2 on inspection :( early stages not too bad yet.
Det. seems to have been remedied though by reposition and recal of the IAT.

Don't know how long that piston will last though any theories? :police: or any cheaper ideas? :worms:

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where the bit that came off :0

Ejected? Lucky with no valve damage
Small nick was on the edge of crown and looks like weak signs of lines on the wall by the material and then I guess it vapourised into metal glitter, don't know if any valve damage as yet.

I presume valve damage is likely is it?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
As Stoney and others say on here, I wouldn't open up the engine to forge it unless there's a very good reason to - and your current power demands don't seem to justify it. Honda makes superb engines out of the box so I would stick with it as long as possible. However, if you suspect that your #2 piston damamge is causing a drop in performance, that's possibly a different matter...

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
A straight swap of the short block and retune for safety makes more sense to me.

Look for a donor car with low miles( for the engine)

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Fair point thanks. It seems after a visit to a known company I might need a new piston due to det. however leak down was at 5% so thats okay but theres a small small chunk of the crown missing on #2 on inspection :( early stages not too bad yet.
Det. seems to have been remedied though by reposition and recal of the IAT.

Don't know how long that piston will last though any theories? :police: or any cheaper ideas? :worms:
Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to go off topic:

Ah so you got your IAT moved by TDI South then. Did you get your Flashpro map changed to compensate for the new position of your IAT?

Your FN2 was owned by andytyper wasn't it?

Reactions: Laney

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not if your leak down was low surely?
well thats it a 5% leak down result is good isn't it, so perhaps I got away with it on the valves front.

As Stoney and others say on here, I wouldn't open up the engine to forge it unless there's a very good reason to - and your current power demands don't seem to justify it. Honda makes superb engines out of the box so I would stick with it as long as possible. However, if you suspect that your #2 piston damamge is causing a drop in performance, that's possibly a different matter...
It hasn't been causing a drop in performance not that I noticed anyway. And 5% seems solid enough in the test.

But my concern is that the small chunk on the edge of the crown will get worse with normal use (assuming no det occurs again) what are your thoughts on that?

A straight swap of the short block and retune for safety makes more sense to me.

Look for a donor car with low miles( for the engine)
Can you remove the short block without dropping the unit out? It's the cost of dropping it out which is a big chunk of the bill too and I'm thinking if it's out anyway :confused:

Do you mean if you just changed the shortblock would you leave the piston in as it is?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to go off topic:

Ah so you got your IAT moved by TDI South then. Did you get your Flashpro map changed to compensate for the new position of your IAT?

Your FN2 was owned by andytyper wasn't it?
Yes and yes they recal'd it to work with the map which was currently on there, all part of the repositioning process. They took it out and couldn't hear any det. anymore so a result on that front however the piston concerns me. I just want to gather a few opinions really as it's not a cheap job at all.

Reactions: ash_rage
1 - 20 of 106 Posts