2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I came to my Civ (FK2-Facelift 09), left in my garage for about 2 weeks, and noticed, I forgot to lock up the car, when I left it last time.
Also, I had a weak battery, today.
I mean, the ignition still worked, but it almost failed.

I know, the battery of the Civ can be weak or even be flat on a winter day, especially after not driving the car for several days.
But I guess, this time, it was caused by leaving the Civ unlocked.
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Today, I came to my Civ (FK2-Facelift 09), left in my garage for about 2 weeks, and noticed, I forgot to lock up the car, when I left it last time.
Also, I had a weak battery, today.
I mean, the ignition still worked, but it almost failed.

I know, the battery of the Civ can be weak or even be flat on a winter day, especially after not driving the car for several days.
But I guess, this time, it was caused by leaving the Civ unlocked.
What do you think?
Did you leave the lights and wipers on auto? I've heard that also sips a bit of energy even when the ignition is off so maybe that could be a cause. I always turn them off if i know the car wont be used for a while
Though i've had it happen the car had some difficulty starting even after being driven every day.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, Woette, both of them were set to "Off" all the time.
I was happy to find according notes about those "auto" features
in the car's guide, before something like that could happen to me. :D

I wonder, can an unlocked Civ drain the battery, too?
I think, I must have read about it somewhere,
but I'm not sure about that anymore, you know?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I've had my car unlocked for a few days once and it had no problem getting started.
Does it start okay now after short trips? If not that could be an indication of the battery. If it does i would put it down to a quirk. Every car i've driven so far had it happen once that it didnt start well without any indication to what could have caused it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@ Woette
After this first start, I was driving about 3 or 4 km's and on my second start, to get back home again, everything worked perfectly again.
On my way back home, which usually would have taken me only a few minutes, I was driving the car for about half an hour to charge the battery again.
Tomorrow, on my next trip, I'll see, if it's ok now.
I plan to give the battery another half an hour or a bit more of driving, to make sure, it gets charged as much as can be.
As for a new battery, I wonder, why everybody at my location (not only my Honda dealer, but several car accessory dealers, too) keeps telling me, there is no other battery for the Civ, but here on Civinfo, there are lots of postings telling me the opposite?
Are all those guys just to lazy to replace it?

@ snowboundzero
Unfortunately, there's no electricity in my garage, so driving is the only chance of charging.
Like I said above @ Woette, I'll do that tomorrow, because, when I think about it, I realize, my last few trips where too short, probably.
Anyway, it's very annoying, if a car keeps telling me, when or how far I have to drive it. I once thought, that's up to me to decide. ;)
Well, despite the fact that the Civ certainly is a beauty, I guess, my next car won't be such a "driving computer" with tons of electronics build in, anymore.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
All modern cars are packed with electronics so that will always be a 'weak point' on any car. Unless you buy a dacia :p
And there certainly are other makes of batteries that can be put in the civic. A honda dealer who doesnt achknowledge their existence i can understand. Other dealers should be able to provide imo, perhaps you can order one with them when providing enough details?

My daily commute is twice 7 km and i have never experienced issues with my battery. So it doesnt need THAT much for charging.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I once left my car unlocked for a week and ended up with a flat battery.

Apparently if you don't lock your car it never fully goes into 'sleep' mode so some charge is constantly being drawn into the various car electrics. So leave it unlocked for long enough and it will eventually drain the battery.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@ Woelle
Yes, isn't that crazy about cars nowadays?
You can have your car full of electronics to help you whilst driving or to play with, but if you really try to use those things, your battery will be dead in almost the blink of an eye (to say it exaggerated).

@ R-2
According to your post, seems like my theory about the unlocked car wasn't so bad, was it? :)

Throughout the last winter, I needed two or three jump starts.
After that, my Honda dealer got me some kind of software update.
Don't know, what it was exactly, that's been updated that day, but I guess, it was done to send several components faster into sleep mode.
Now, it really looks like my battery lasts longer, but this winter isn't as cold as the last one and therefore, it's difficult to compare.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I once left my car unlocked for a week and ended up with a flat battery.

Apparently if you don't lock your car it never fully goes into 'sleep' mode so some charge is constantly being drawn into the various car electrics. So leave it unlocked for long enough and it will eventually drain the battery.
+1

I've heard that the MICU won't go into standby until you lock the car and will still draw power from the battery.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today, everything was ok.
After making this fault, I probably won't forget to lock the car
for quite while now... well, hopefully... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts