2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my CW CTR has generated a bit of a problem, I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this, heard of it before or has any idea what could be causing it!

When driving there is what sounds like a static noise coming from the dash board, as its when im driving i cant exactly tell where from but ists originating from infront of the driver. The sound i can say it is most like, is the sound of a bowl of rice crispies, (when they go snap, crackle and pop!) Now i'm wondering if its the plastic of the dash come a little loose and is rattling or vibrating, or if its a bad earthing behind the dash or something. pressing on the dash and trying to manipulate what play there is in it sometimes seems to effect the sound making it more or less occurant but sometimes has no effect. It is a constant crackling and as i drive long distances regularly is starting to drive me crazy. I'm gonna try and book it in next week when i'm home but unless a technician sits in the car with me when i drive it i feel they will have little or no chance of identifying what it is? let alone fixing it.

Any ideas would be useful for when i take it in, does not happen when the vehicle is still only when moving, at first i thought it was the static noise from the stereo but turning that off ruled that out as i realised its coming from behind the wheel somewhere,:(

ta.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think that I've heard this on my car, I always thought it was from the windscreen as its worse when its very cold, or very hot outside.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Snap... I have the same on mine too but it comes and goes depending on the temperature outside.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you think its temperature related, it was warm today driving back after lunch so i'll see what its like when its cold and i'll ask the dealer next week

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I havent had the noise for a while which makes me think its only when its cold outside that it happens. When it first occurred I thought there was someone behind the rev counter trying to open a packet of crisps :eek:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you grab the dash and manipulate it to the right of the steering wheel you can make it more frequent/go away temporarily so its something either with that or behind it i think

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Grelims !

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Funny, I have a foil wrapper noise thing going on too, which also seems to happen mostly in extremes of temperature. Mine sounds like it's coming from around the steering column.

When she was in for a service at the weekend, I asked them to take a look. As I was explaining it, the service-desk guy was not exactly looking at me like he had no idea what I was going on about ... but they didn't find anything.

When you take it in, Dahools, if you get a fix, please let us know?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I had this too. I posted about it some time ago and quite a few others had the same noise!

I asked Honda to look at it. They basically moved the noise from the steering column to the centre of the dashboard! Next service I got Honda to look at it again and it went completely.

Now it's just come back! Great.

However, it now only seems to happen when I'm on long journeys. Which luckily I rarely do.

I still don't know what it is!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I think i might have this same noise too, although i can't pinpoint at what temperature/conditions/type of journey it is on as it's only happened a handful of times - as you said, when you're driving it is difficult to do too much about it for fear of straying up a kerb.

I would describe it as a static crackling near the centre of the dash - do any of you have a Honda Ipod connector?

I have this and i've tried turning the radio off to hear the noise better, and it carried on - to me, the noise sounded fuzzy like it was to do with audio, so i wondered if it could be something to do with the ipod connection - a complete long shot though.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
It's possible, anything is worth a try even if it eliminates it, you're slightly closer to finding out what it could be....cheers!

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'llcheck with the aircon tomorrow, that could be a possibility as i know i had it on on wednesday and i dont normally, got 200+ miles to do tomorrow so i'll try everything,

pretty sure its not the windscreen its like an audio static noise

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Not aircon for me, it happens regardless - but mine is definitely more of a crinkled foil noise than static.

I'm wondering if we're talking about different noises?! There are so many to choose from anyway, it seems.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Me too !
Took the car down the yard after work today for a seriously in depth washing session. Got in the car to come home after wash, and as soon as i started moving i could hear what is probably best described as a budgie chirping, or maybe 2 pieces of that polystyrene stuff that hi-fi's are packed in being rubbed together directly in front of me under the dashboard.

I tried the steering column up / down / in / out, air con on / off, altered blower vent settings, but the noise would only stop when i came to a standstill at junctions or lights. As soon as i started moving again the chirping was back.

I would rather have a sexually transmitted disease than a squeeky dashboard.... squeeky dashboards send me doolaley-tat, and i've got a 940 mile round trip to do this weekend :(

·
Nifty with fish
333 Posts
I've also had this, normally when the air con comes on when the car has been left in the sun or as the heaters warm up on a very cold morning. Ive put it donwn to the expansion / contraction of the dashboard plastics as the temperature changes. I may well be wrong but the pattern seems to fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts