2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

The mods have deleted the thread as apparently I should not have offered something for free & I should have submitted a "for sale" thread. I did not submit a for sale thread as nothing was for sale. I was gifting this to the person who I thought could best use it.

Apologies for breaking what appears to be a silly rule.

Anyway, just to confirm that some R-5VE & an applicator was posted today to mpn_daedalus

Thank you to all that commented & contributed to the thread.

Cheers
Shaun

p.s for the record it was me that reported my own post after submitting it as I was unsure which section to post it in. But I thought that the cleaning section was the correct section as it was a "cleaning" items I was giving away

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Could have posted it in the swaps section - and swapped the item for a virtual high-five :lol:

Does seem a bit silly you can't give something away but those are the rules...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
In my other Forum there is 'Free Stuff' Section
Here are the Rules for it:
This forum is for ALL members to offer anything that they might want to give away for FREE, or if they wish to share a special offer or promotion with other members of the community.
No money or offers of money can be made for items posted here, anything that breaks that rule will be removed. To that effect we ask that if members do see anything 'dodgy' that they report it so the appropriate action can be taken.

Happy posting, and please keep it clean

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I think the cleaning section is the right section.

a) product is from there
b) Nothing was traded just given

Should of just posted inf or sale section broke all rules and you wouldnt of got bother :worms::worms::worms::worms::worms:

·
Administrator
19,183 Posts
I have moved this thread to here so we can discuss it.

At the moment all 'trading' other than swaps takes place in the For Sale and Wanted section and that is right. We will look at this again to see if we should change the rules relating to this. But, please for now keep to the rules by giving a price and posting in FS&W.

The rules at the moment:

3. You must provide a fixed price when selling. Free items are not allowed, due to timewasting buyers. The price must be a fixed value, and not "offers above", "offers around", ONO, "open to offers" and so on. If you want to trade or swap an item, then that's fine, but you must still provide a price because inevitably someone will offer cash.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Put it up for a penny.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have moved this thread to here so we can discuss it.

At the moment all 'trading' other than swaps takes place in the For Sale and Wanted section and that is right. We will look at this again to see if we should change the rules relating to this. But, please for now keep to the rules by giving a price and posting in FS&W.

The rules at the moment:

Thanks
But, nothing was for sale or wanted. I was gifting this, no money was exchanged. I paid for p&p. I honestly can not see the problem. So what's the worst that could happen? Me not sending the item as promised, even at that scenario no one has lost out.

I thought I was doing a supporter a favour

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
But, nothing was for sale or wanted. I was gifting this, no money was exchanged. I paid for p&p. I honestly can not see the problem. So what's the worst that could happen? Me not sending the item as promised, even at that scenario no one has lost out.

This. the rules needs a review for the greater good.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
I guess the very worse that could happen is:

The buyer misses out on a bargain elsewhere for sealant (say a penny) as they are getting it free from you. But you decide to run away, and the buyer now has to buy said sealant from halfords for a tenner as the sealant for a penny is now sold. Seller then puts a claim in against forum, the rules then stay as it is...:worms:

·
Administrator
19,183 Posts
I guess the very worse that could happen is:

The buyer misses out on a bargain elsewhere for sealant (say a penny) as they are getting it free from you. But you decide to run away, and the buyer now has to buy said sealant from halfords for a tenner as the sealant for a penny is now sold. Seller then puts a claim in against forum, the rules then stay as it is...:worms:
Nail on the head.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

In this case there wouldn't have been a problem.

The reason we introduced the "no free stuff" rule was because it's too easy for someone to commit to something without being fully committed if you know what I mean. For example say someone offer a tatty old set of wheels for free but collection only. Another member says they'll have them. They arrange a time and place for collection but because there is no real commitment from the "buyer", he never turns up. So the guy giving them away has wasted his time and effort.

We'll take another look at it though.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Nail on the head.
But why does having a value place on said item mitigates this risk?

The same scenario could have happens if the OP put it up for a penny, then ran away...

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts

The reason we introduced the "no free stuff" rule was because it's too easy for someone to commit to something without being fully committed if you know what I mean. For example say someone offer a tatty old set of wheels for free but collection only. Another member says they'll have them. They arrange a time and place for collection but because there is no real commitment from the "buyer", he never turns up. So the guy giving them away has wasted his time and effort.

But how would placing an arbitrary value on said tatty wheels (say a quid to work around said rules) mitigate this... Where do you draw the line...

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I was posting at my expense. The only time being used by the recipient was for him took me his address

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I was posting at my expense. The only time being used by the recipient was for him took me his address
Yes but we can't have one rule for one and another for someone else.

As I've said, we will take another look at it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts