2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

This winter's freezing weather has seriously damaged the LCD screen (next to the Sat Nav screen on EX), the radio and the Sat Nav voice.

It looks like the contrast has gone completely from the LCD screen, after a while it sometimes brightens a little but not always.

Also, the Sat Nav voice doesn't work until...
The CD player and on radio screen starts working. This can take upto an hour an a half, usually at least an hour.
The radio is also very temperamental and sometimes just makes a fizzing noise.

I was wondering if anyone has had this due to the -14 Celsius weather and how I can go about fixing it without incurring hefty stealer fees??

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Ok,

This winter's freezing weather has seriously damaged the LCD screen (next to the Sat Nav screen on EX), the radio and the Sat Nav voice.

It looks like the contrast has gone completely from the LCD screen, after a while it sometimes brightens a little but not always.

Also, the Sat Nav voice doesn't work until...
The CD player and on radio screen starts working. This can take upto an hour an a half, usually at least an hour.
The radio is also very temperamental and sometimes just makes a fizzing noise.

I was wondering if anyone has had this due to the -14 Celsius weather and how I can go about fixing it without incurring hefty stealer fees??

Any help/advice is much appreciated.
try disconnecting you battery for one hour

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I drove to Slovakia over Xmas and it got down to -12 there , OK not -14 and only for a few days. My Sat Nav screen was very dim at start up and did take about 10 mins to 'Warm Up', but no issues with the voice.

Is the radio sound ok? if not maybe the speakers go damp and are now freezing??

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Make sure you run with the aircon on - this will help remove any moisture from the car electrical bits and bobs

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I have had (in various cars) displays becoming dim and slow due to cold and things like CD players not wanting to work when it is below -30, but they have all come back to life once warmed up, never seen any permanent damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I've done some searching and no-ones reported the same problem.
This started a month ago now but the last couple of days, the stereo has stopped completely.
The car does 130 miles a day and always has done and the air con is on most of the time so I would've thought it would have dried out by now. The commute to work is painfully boring now!!

I'll have a play with the diagnostics as mentioned in the wiki and let you know.

Thinking about the speakers, it sounds like they could've blown because they make random popping noises (last couple of days). There's no control over it either.

Cheers again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts