2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my car for 3 years now.
When driven the car on bumpy roads-rump, or pothole, have noise (gtoup) from front.
In the last two years I've changed almost everything in the front (suspesion, springs, white bump stops, subframe etc) under warranty because I heard a weird noise (coming from the front suspension) but the problem (the noise) remained even if everything that composes the front suspension had been changed.
Finally I decided to try and fix it myself because Honda couldn't do anything or had an official answer (bullentin) to my problem (and other's problem as far I know).
So I measured the distance that the absorber makes is 3.5 cm and I realized that this distance is too short and that the absorber needs more.
I 've put some grease in the bump stop to see if it gets in touch with the other side and yes, I was right, the 3.5cm distance was to short for the absorber.
So in order to make more "space" I cutted the bump stops with a knife and now the distance is almost 15 mm more!
Now the noise is gone and I'm enjoying my car!
I told my story (with photos) to Honda Hellas and they send a fax to Swindon to check it out!
I hope i helped..

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Very interesting, i wonder what Honda Swindon will say?

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Very sad that Honda Swindon did nothing to solve the problem and one mate of us Jimp did it succesfully. The reality is that the sound was a metallic clunk, as I had heard it with my own ears, and not a deep sound like gdoup. Congratulations Jimp, it worthed the wait... Whoever has the same problem, do not hesitate.. Knife and cut! Now it makes sence why some mates that changed to eibachs got rid of the clunk as eibach springs come with lower bump stops. Tell it to everyone, Jimp you are pioneer ...

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About the problem I posted recently I realized that this is not a problem only in my car but also in almost every 5 door's cars.
I dont know if this is true for the TypeS but as far as i Know they have the same bump stops (but different springs)
I had driver a 5d 1.8 200MY car with 5000km a long time ago and it didn't had this noise and today I drove the same civic (with 30000 km now) and the noise exists! I came out to the conclusion that the car drops (about 5-10mm) as the OEM springs gets softer ("smoother") from time to time..
Honda engineers probably didn't think about this (springs "behaviour") and as long as the car dropped the bump stops has less distance to do.
So for 3 years now we had to change almost everything in the car in order to stop this noise-problem and the answer was a simple as this above!

·
Registered
235 Posts
This looks like to be a good reason for these mad knocks everytime cornering!
Who will find a solution for quacking clutch?

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it possible that the absorber piston rod can hit the bottom of absorber and demage it if you cut off too much ?
Does not exist problem.

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I search to find the email from department improvements of auto spare parts - cars in the Honda England. It knows email?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This repairing method really works! In co-operation with local Honda dealer we also cut 15mm off and noise from front is gone! Lot of thanks, Jimp!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
jimp i have this!
first it was bump stops...then it continued after new ones...
ive just today had new drop links put on for warranty...
now they want my car for 3 days to get whole new suspension to see if works and goes away

if no - then i will show them this thread! to learn!!

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jimp i have this!
first it was bump stops...then it continued after new ones...
ive just today had new drop links put on for warranty...
now they want my car for 3 days to get whole new suspension to see if works and goes away

if no - then i will show them this thread! to learn!!
What abaut your problem ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any similar problems in South Africa?

Hi All,
Does anyone in South Africa have similar problem with RHsteering clunking on the drivers front suspension similar to problem in this thread?

And how about feedback of users who made the corrective action if it is a permanent fix?

Or : is there a fix possible for this problem?

Thankx in advance!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow! Didn't realise this could be the cause! And in answer to Type S having this problem as well as 5 doors then YES!!

Any joy from people going to their local Honda with this thread? How did you get on f.ss.t?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I sometimes hear the same "metallic clunk" noise. Next week I will have my car inspected and I am going to complain again about that noise. I am going to show my dealer that thread. I wonder what they'll say.

·
Registered
234 Posts
hm... could this be my problem to?? I can hear not very loud but pretty annoying sound in left front wheel... Like metal rattling or something... But that sound comes only from one side... :/

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I have my car for 3 years now.
When driven the car on bumpy roads-rump, or pothole, have noise (gtoup) from front.
In the last two years I've changed almost everything in the front (suspesion, springs, white bump stops, subframe etc) under warranty because I heard a weird noise (coming from the front suspension) but the problem (the noise) remained even if everything that composes the front suspension had been changed.
Finally I decided to try and fix it myself because Honda couldn't do anything or had an official answer (bullentin) to my problem (and other's problem as far I know).
So I measured the distance that the absorber makes is 3.5 cm and I realized that this distance is too short and that the absorber needs more.
I 've put some grease in the bump stop to see if it gets in touch with the other side and yes, I was right, the 3.5cm distance was to short for the absorber.
So in order to make more "space" I cutted the bump stops with a knife and now the distance is almost 15 mm more!
Now the noise is gone and I'm enjoying my car!
I told my story (with photos) to Honda Hellas and they send a fax to Swindon to check it out!
I hope i helped..
Did you get any reply from honda?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts