2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've bought some fibreglass air intakes for the fog light triangles from eBay (Mugen rip off).

TDI are going to frabricate some pipping to feed air into the wheel arches for brake cooling on track days, obviously the best possible solution is to replace the backplate on the discs with one that actually has a fitting to put the pipe onto so the air is forced directly onto the back fo the disc.

1) because you want to cool the brake as much as possible and 2) because from an aero point of view, forcing large amounts of air at high speed into the wheel well can cause some turbulence which is probably not great for traction and stability.

I've been searching on eBay and various other places and no one seems to sell. Does anyone know if and where you might source one?

See:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those air intakes are cool, i fitted mine today however i used it to feed a cold air pipe up to my k&n intake. Feeding them to the brakes is a good idea!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I think it would need to be custom made to do exactly what you're after. Cut out your backing plate and rivet on a coupler like the image below?

There's also an existing solution that attaches directly to the caliper slider bolts, originally intended for an EP3, that was shared on another post recently too.

Is that your car in the picture shared? If so, I'd check your damper as it looks to have leaked/failed.

Reactions: rickypotter and NPC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DUNCAN. Looks good. Like the black on red theme.

@SilverCider - yeah, think it looks like it would need to be a custom fabricated job.

And yes, that's my car and the shocks are shot, I've got BC Coilovers in the post and waiting for a slot to get them set up.

I'm a bit worried about driving it an hour to the shop actually, it's not too bad but it does bob up and down, nervous they'll give away altogether on the motorway...

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
@NPC if you don't mind me asking how much is the work at TDI for the fabrication? Brakes on track are a constant pain for me, they get so hot after only a few laps and take forever to calm down. Literally measured run out on my discs at the weekend in prep for next track day and got a 0.25mm tolerance, they were brand new on before my last track day!

Could be I'm very aggressive on the brakes and possible not the best choice of pads...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@NPC if you don't mind me asking how much is the work at TDI for the fabrication? Brakes on track are a constant pain for me, they get so hot after only a few laps and take forever to calm down. Literally measured run out on my discs at the weekend in prep for next track day and got a 0.25mm tolerance, they were brand new on before my last track day!

Could be I'm very aggressive on the brakes and possible not the best choice of pads...
We never discussed price and I ended up getting my work carried out up North.

Their labour rates are roughly £90 + VAT.

What pads you using?

And what discs?

I'm about to swap to Pagid Blank discs and PBS Pro Track pads.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
We never discussed price and I ended up getting my work carried out up North.

Their labour rates are roughly £90 + VAT.

What pads you using?

And what discs?

I'm about to swap to Pagid Blank discs and PBS Pro Track pads.
Thanks for that gives me an estimate to work with, and this thread is gold, the picture from @SilverCider sums up exactly what I've been thinking.

Not sure on the discs, came with the BBK I got from K-System? Pads are Ferodo DS2500, wondering (hoping!) that perhaps they have left deposits on the disc which are throwing out the run out readings I've taken.

Given the discs are practically new I'm going to see if I can get them skimmed and maybe try PBS Pro Race pads next time round see how they fair up. When I do replace the discs thinking I'll give DBA's 4600S a go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking at K-Sytem but was worried about quality. Friends with Megans has issues etc.

Speaking to Tegiwa they suggested just sticking with the pagid plain discs.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Kit was quite good, calipers and pads were new and boxed from the Renualt/Ferodo so know they were quality and not refurb/knock off. Just the discs that were loose so can’t vouch for their quality.

It’s really the calliper bracket you’re paying for, did take a bit of fettling to get mine true but was a mornings effort (braid brake lines took forever though!).

I did toy with the idea of getting the K-sport, but felt this was at a better price point.

Really didn’t like the single piston oem caliper and noticeable improvement now on the four pots with the bigger discs and braided brake lines.

When I was running the oem caliper I was burning through pads and the heat coming off of them after a few laps was ridiculous. Better with the K-system but still hot.

Pain at that minute that can’t take any tuition on track, would really like to know if I’m leaning to hard on the brakes and that’s what’s causing me problems.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
@rickypotter how long are you on the brakes? I have DS2500s on my AP BBK and had them previously on my oem setup. They can be a pig for leaving deposits if you drag them a lot. They respond really well to short, firm applications. You shouldn't really run into issues with them on a bigger disc.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Would say on track I’m pretty firm with them. However I also use it as a daily so probably dragging them pottering around.

Intention at the beginning of the year was to get another car for daily but then Covid happened :(. Glad that TDI north were fully booked when I wanted to get a turbo in Feb, much now happier with the £8k being in my bank at the moment while we ride this out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts