2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
living the dream
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of ordering a video switcher box from bog, I already have a reverse camera and was thinking it would be quite cool to have a front mounted one also. It would be nice to split the video output from the front camera so that it goes to both the satnav screen display but also to some kind of recording device, which can be switched on/off/paused, or even setup to store the last hours drive or something then overwrite the oldest data clip with new footage?

why would I want to do this?
  • useful parking aid
  • nice toy, to record country road footage
  • help with insurance claims should you witness or be involved in some kind of accident.
  • front night vision may help visibility? (although i guess it would have to be a pretty decent camera to be any use for this. headlights might throw the night vision out a lot!)
so a few questions:
  1. has anyone mounted a front camera yet and where abouts?
  2. which power source did you tap into?
  3. cable routing from engine bay to interior suggestions?
  4. anyone know of a decent little RCA to SD/USB recorder maybe? (I will have a scout around now)
cheers

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts
Would be good for track days! :)

Doesn't one of the new Merc's have them in the corners of the front bumper? For pulling out in junctions? Handy on a long bonnet car...not so much with the Civic.

What about Bog's Numberplate Camera? fit it to the front? Or you could always Dash Mount it? Or a Roof Airscoop and hide it in there?? :D Custom build a new front Honda H badge and intergrate it in, or a flip up H with Camera underneith....I THINK I'M GETTING CARRIED AWAY NOW!! :D

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Oh Rich... Don't get me started on this lol... I've been toying with this idea too :)

First problem was finding a suitable camera... Most on ebay are 'Reversing Cameras' and the image is flipped, so no good at the front...

I ordered one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinhole-Hid...712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21ffa290

Not had a chance to play with it, but un-like the reversing cams, it's not weather proof :(

Powering it is not a big issue nor is running the cable to the interior of the car.

Like you, I'd love to find a box that records and maybe adds so stuff to the image... This app for the iphone is pretty cool... something like that which displays on the Nav Screen. imagine that! :)

·
2,046 Posts
What about a just dash mouting the camera? Or would the image not be clear enough due to glare from the glass and the wipers not covering that area? Could always mount it on the back of the rear view mirror??

Loving that app! SHame the score is only 2.5/5 though...guess it must have a few bugs.

You think you could replicate something like that Bog??? (Go on...say yes!! :) )

No one fancy attempting making a Flip up H emblem then? :D

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
No one fancy attempting making a Flip up H emblem then? :D
Only if I can fit a missile in there to clear the road of people doing 40mph in 60mph zones! (Sorry, off topic!)

·
2,046 Posts
The front grill is a honey comb design right? You could you notch out a diamond shape/hole from that and mount that PinHole Camera Bog posted up (if it was waterproof). Would pretty much be completly hidden too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do have a standalone Vision Drive black box in my car.
My advice is to get a decent camera that also has good night visibility (no IR leda needen: they don't work) and get something with at least HD-ready (1280x720) resolutions.
Due to the fish-eye lens license plates are hard to read with lower resolutions. High frame-rates are also a must have!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.