2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Front cig lighter, soldering 3 outlet cig-plug?

I don't want to connect anything straight to my front cig lighter adapter plug (or what the hell is it in english). That's why I was wondering to solder 3 outlet cig lighter plug to the original plug, and if the cable is long enough, I could attach this 3 outlet plug to passengers footwell.

Is there any pictures or tips how to do it, and what should I not do? I installed connects2box few days ago, so I know how to remove the middle plastic part where the cig connection is. I remember that cig adapters plug was white and didn't look like normal plug, but didn't check that any better.
Is is possible to open that white plug in the end of the wire, and solder new wires to it?
Ofcourse, if there's way to get power easily from somewhere else, please tell me. It still has to be cig lighter plug so that I can get my devices plugged.

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
I have attached a 4 socket extension on a wire (from Maplin,(Maplin > 4-Way Cigarette Socket Adaptor), not sure if they deliver to Europe) to the rear socket and run that to the side of the rear seat. Will take picture is anyone is interested (if you excuse the mess in the car), and the Magic Seats still work.

May be better to extend that socket rather than soldering into the car's electrics.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have attached a 4 socket extension on a wire (from Maplin,(Maplin > 4-Way Cigarette Socket Adaptor), not sure if they deliver to Europe) to the rear socket and run that to the side of the rear seat. Will take picture is anyone is interested (if you excuse the mess in the car), and the Magic Seats still work.

May be better to extend that socket rather than soldering into the car's electrics.
Rear socket is already in use. I have wired it to the front, and there's already 3 devices attached. Now I need another for the passenger side. Rear cig adapters fuse takes 20A, and extension cig plug will take 10A max. It's not enough for me, so I need to take it from front cig adapter.
Now I have 3 socket extension plugged in front, but I really don't want it to be insight. So some sort of soldering etc. would be great.. don't know if it's safe to do.. or if I break something..

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Can I ask, why do you need so many cig lighter sockets?

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
The easiest way to achieve what you want is to cut the 2 wires that go to the ciggy lighter and rejoin them with a chocolate block type connector.

Then run your 4 way adapter as a spur. That way the wires are firmly held by bolts and securely shielded and not just a floating solder joint that could pop off.

I originally tried a solder but I found the metal connector not to be solder friendly.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I realize it will depend on the loading of the items plugged into the extension sockets, but manufacturers don't tend to use a much larger size wire than is needed by the original installed equipment, ie: the cigarette lighter.

By plugging in up to three additional items would the original wiring be up to the job if the cigarette lighter is used as well?

Wouldn't it be better to run a supply directly from the fuse box?

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I piggy backed on the connections to the front socket and ran the wire to a single socket for my satnav. The extra socket lies forward of the front console.

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
I realize it will depend on the loading of the items plugged into the extension sockets, but manufacturers don't tend to use a much larger size wire than is needed by the original installed equipment, ie: the cigarette lighter.

By plugging in up to three additional items would the original wiring be up to the job if the cigarette lighter is used as well?

The wires that run to the ciggy lighter are quite thick and I would think would easily power a number of devices providing you weren't going to use the ciggy lighter itself which must be a heavy drain compared to the likes of SatNav devices. Just ensure that you wire in an in-line fuse of a suitable rating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The easiest way to achieve what you want is to cut the 2 wires that go to the ciggy lighter and rejoin them with a chocolate block type connector.

Then run your 4 way adapter as a spur. That way the wires are firmly held by bolts and securely shielded and not just a floating solder joint that could pop off.

I originally tried a solder but I found the metal connector not to be solder friendly.
Sounds good and quite easy way to do it. Just got to make sure, that I don't mix positive and negative wire..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

That might be. usually the cig adapter extension wires are very thin..but I suppose they would carry max 10A, what is exactly the ampers that fuse can take. It would be good idea to get power straight from the fusebox, but I have no idea how to do that and where should I connect those wires. Cig adapter plugs are so easy to use..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wires that run to the ciggy lighter are quite thick and I would think would easily power a number of devices providing you weren't going to use the ciggy lighter itself which must be a heavy drain compared to the likes of SatNav devices. Just ensure that you wire in an in-line fuse of a suitable rating.
That's true. Wire coming for the front cig lighter isn't that thin. It's a doublesize comparing to 3 socket cig wires..

·
Super Moderator
21,028 Posts
Sounds good and quite easy way to do it. Just got to make sure, that I don't mix positive and negative wire..
They are colour coded so no problem

I say 'colour' but ones black and the other black with a white tracer

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Guess you'll need...JML Cable Tidy for all those wires
images-1.jpeg
Seems like a lot of power to me from one original ciggy lighter

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Tomtom910
Nokia 616
Footwell lights x 2
Touchscreen
Laptop

That's about it...and ofcourse if I want to charge my phone..
Perhaps you will also need the battery and alternator off a diesel[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moose, "Seems like a lot of power to me from one original ciggy lighter" ..

Actually that's sounds like a lot, but devices aren't really taking ampers that much. Rear socket gives about 6A for those devices, and front socket would give about 5A for devices connected to it.

Alanwalne, "Perhaps you will also need the battery and alternator off a diesel[smilie=cheeky-grin: "

...great idea :idea:.. :D

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Sounds like you've done your home work with regards to current. just remember to keep that battery topped up for those cold mornings you have over there. :)

Changing subject slightly; Hope to be over in Finland later this year, just haven't asked the girlfriend if I can go yet! ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had a 3 way sliced into the front ciggie socket (soldered) and the actual 3 way unit fits nicely into the little cubby in fornt of the gear stick

:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changing subject slightly; Hope to be over in Finland later this year, just haven't asked the girlfriend if I can go yet! ;)
Finland...oohh... may I ask why? If it's some sort of holiday, I recommend to make it in summer. Autumn and winter are quite dark and boring here... ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a 3 way sliced into the front ciggie socket (soldered) and the actual 3 way unit fits nicely into the little cubby in fornt of the gear stick
:D
Thank's for the picture cylon2007. If you did it succesfully, why wouldn't I?!! :)
Did you just cut the cig adapter wire and solder 3 way unit to it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts