2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a little noise deadening experiment i conducted HERE, I decided the sound from stereo left a little to be desired and was not a patch on the audio system fitted to SWMBO's Toyota.

So, after some research on teh internets, contrary to the popular tried and tested choice of Infinity REF6520cs components, I decided, as usual to go for the untested option - as I seem to like to make life difficult for myself at any available opportunity. :facepalm:

The speakers of choice were Juice JS6C 6.5mm components.

I have never heard of this brand, so didn't know what to expect, but they were a fair bit cheaper than Infinitys (cos I'm tight like that), and I could buy them locally.

Well off came the door cards and old speakers, when I got back, and I thought It would be a simple case of swapping like for like, with the addition of installing the crossovers - wrong!

Turns out, although the clearance required for the back of the speaker was suffient (about 60mm), the actual speaker apeture in the doors was too small! Gah!!! :banghead:

Time to dust off my carpentry skills, so off I went to B&Q on the hunt for some 18mm MDF, to fashion some speaker rings. (Nothings ever straightforward with my projects!) :rolleyes:

After a bit of marking out, jigsawing and filing, I screwed these to the doors. Next I set about installing the new kit and glueing the new tweeter inplace with a combination of no more nails and super glue (not mixed together, though!). After filing out the tabs in the tweeter enclosure a bit, the new units, were a perfect fit! [smilie=thatworks.g:

That was one door done and tested, so the door cards went back on.

The next door was much of the same, except when It came to testing it, guess what - no sound! :facepalm:

Further investigation revealed a faulty crossover, so off I went again back to the dealer, to get it replaced.

Tested again, and everything seemed ok, so I finished the install (or so I thought)

Driving home from work, the next day, the offside tweeter decided to cut out on me at random intervals - great. :facepalm:

So, today after the tweeter completely cut out, off the door card came, yet again and I quickly diagnosed a loose connection to the crossover. Problem solved, touch wood.

As for the actual sound quality at the end of all this, all I can say when I first heard it was "What the **** is this?" The treble was completely overpowering and the rest of the sound was just the same or slightly worse than before. This, to my relief, has quickly changed. They seem to be "loosening up" nicely and the improvement is sound quality is quite noticable over the stock Honda tat. The treble is still a little too much and is now set to about -4 and bass to MAX, but it could just be my ears being so accustomed to listening to the original poor quality speakers. Who knows, but all in all, not a bad purchase in the end, and a few quid cheaper than other brands. :D

Old Woofer vs. Juice item

[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/750lbs/Honda%20Civic/DSCF1858.jpg[/IMG]

Crossover wiring

New tweeter glued in

New woofer and MDF ring installed

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
good work dude :D i really want to change my speakers too ! im guessing making speaker rings isnt a necessity and can in fact be bought ? i wouldnt have the confidence to make them because im a complete fud with a jigsaw :facepalm:

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, guys! :cool:

Yes, you can get the rings on eBay, as far as i know, but in my case:

They are not worth the money for what they are - a piece of off cut MDF cost me the grand sum of 50p, and I still have loads left if i need to make some more.

I am quite capable of making my own and I didn't have the time or patience for them to be delivered online.

If you do not own/are not confident with using power tools then the rings you can get online are certainly your best bet. I would choose them over the plastic (astra rings?) jobbies you can get, as I guess they have better acoustic properties.

I just need a pair of the hen's teeth that are silver speaker surrounds, to finish it off now!

But 40 notes for two bits of moulded plastic which cost £1 tops to make? Honda are 'avin a larf! :roflmao:

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another addition

Well it appears the joke's on me. :embarassed:

I couldn't purchase any reasonably priced speaker ring surrounds anywhere, so I got some off tinterweb for a pretty penny.

My worst value-for-money mod so far, but they do look good, especially with the blue footwell lights on, though... :rolleyes:

New Directional tweeter

Old Grille

New Grille Surround

1 - 6 of 6 Posts