2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is really more of a general question about MOT checks but it is with regards to my Civic.

The front of my car had a collision with a deer driving home, only a small deer though and not on a fast section so fortunately the damage is not severe. Cosmetically it is almost not noticeable, you can see the panels are slightly misaligned around the bumper but all things considered it *looks* OK. Only when removing the bonnet slam panel trim and having a look at the trim you see the damage to the plastic parts, a lot of the clips are broken and the metal pressings underneath the headlights the bumper clips to is bent. The pressed metal absorber on the front of the bumper beam is also bent. But the main bumper beam, rest of the crash structure, and anything radiator/engine related hasn't been affected.

So: cosmetically it looks fine, a lot of the central trim parts are damaged and I have cable tied and taped where the clips failed to hold them in place, but if you give them a shake you can feel that they aren't properly mounted. My question is: would this be an MOT failure? I have looked through the MOT procedures, bodywork section:

"Vehicle structure and body shell are checked during the MOT test for excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas of the vehicle. Any sharp edge can result in an MOT failure."

There are certainly no 'sharp edges' but clearly there is some bodywork damage. I'm comfortable that everything is now secured so that it would not come apart while driving.

To repair, I think if I replaced the central shiny trim part between the headlights this would go a long way to making everything more secure - this is the part that feels most loose and it provides the central mounting point for the bumper moulding.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
Much depends on how lenient your MOT tester is, if the bodywork/panels aren't secure then it's very likely to fail.

You mention light damage to the crash beam, this is designed to absorb impacts and if it's been compromised it's likely to fail an MOT.

Best get it repaired pal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts