2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone think how my front offside foglamp has smashed in the last 2 days parked in the long stay at Heathrow? No sign of impact so i doubt it happened on the way there. It looks like there are 3 cracks each eminating from the corners of the light, very odd.

Pics added, if any of you recall me posting previously about a loose fog lamp, I think it was this one, could the 2 be connected?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sorry to hear of the damage. My guess would be that it was hit by something on the way there, maybe a stone or something. Maybe even a bird?!

Seems unlikely that a fog lamp lens would be damaged in a bump whilt the car was parked, and it is an unlikely target for vandalism.

You mentioned that the lamp was loose. It's not impossible that it vibrated at tjust the right (or wrong) frequency on the motorway and cracked itself.

How much for replacement?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Looks as if a stone has hit on the lower corner and if the fog was a little loose then this coupled with a hole caused by a stone could feasbly cause the other cracks.

I once had similar damage caused by a stone on a headlamp.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Heat?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It's a fascinating break. The cracks run the non-obvious way along the length, as if the force came from deforming the upper and lower parts of the lights (not the left and right). I'm going to guess a poorly fitted lens (so pre-stressed) with a rapid temperature change or a kick as the final straw.

I've not had a fog light in my hand - could anyone see if it's possible to get the lens on a bit wrong?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
You say " I doubt it happened on the way there". Which means you can't say for sure that it did'nt happen on the way down. If it was loose, it could have been vibration. Or stone. Or BUTTERFLY STRIKE !!!!! :wink:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be one of those bloody ladybirds.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dream of having a quick Euler with the wife, and perhaps a friend. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
580 Posts
oK, Which ugly [email protected] look'ed at the fog light....Own up

Only messing. Hehe :lol:

Prob's could of been a small stone that hit it while your on your way down to Heatrow or somthing, Or like the other member said, could of been the temperture changing coursing it to crack?:S

Not a clue.
:?:

Regards Dan

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had it looked at and it has been put down to a stone chip, along with the chips on the front wing, which my companies accident management people are dealing with (apparantly any bodywork damage is handled by accident management peeps), so as soon as the fog lanp is delivered to AutoRestore they are bringing their mobile paint booth to my house and the fog lamp is replaced and the wing resprayed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
:?: Hi Guys new to this forum BUT same problem. Both Front Fog Lamps on the wifes car are the same as your ,Broken in the corners (3 corners) This we think is a "stress related problem and we are going to make a warantee claim on it.
Best regards AJ
PS our car is 5 months old on a 06 Plate. :cry:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put mine down to stress initially, cos it had been parked facing the sun during all that heat we had earlier in the year, but then put it down to a stone chip when I found the mark on the wing. Its getting fixed on Friday, and although I should not really say this I am not too bothered as its going through the companies insurance.

Would love to hear what they say AJ.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Just bumped into a woman today who had a 1.8 EX with two smashed fogs, same thing. She's going to come on the site and post about her problems!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Do you think it is a design fault? Most fog lights are round and recessed. I've never heard of other fog lights shattering before?:?:

1 - 20 of 441 Posts