2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,first time on this site,but did contribute to 2talkabout.The problem I have had is the mudflaps are a bit low,and you have to be careful when going over speed bumps and the like.It is not the damage to the mudflaps but the plastic trim they are attached to - it evidently breaks the securing peg, my dealer was very helpful and replaced them(free of charge).
I am almost used to the i shift being quirky,like probably everyone else it is a pain it always wanting to go into a higher gear when you least expect it,but it is great to shift with paddles/gear stick.

1.8 es i shift vivid blue.mudflaps.blue ambient footwell lighting.reversing aids.door step guards.civic mats.:p

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
hello,first time on this site,but did contribute to 2talkabout.The problem I have had is the mudflaps are a bit low,and you have to be careful when going over speed bumps and the like.It is not the damage to the mudflaps but the plastic trim they are attached to - it evidently breaks the securing peg, my dealer was very helpful and replaced them(free of charge).
I am almost used to the i shift being quirky,like probably everyone else it is a pain it always wanting to go into a higher gear when you least expect it,but it is great to shift with paddles/gear stick.

1.8 es i shift vivid blue.mudflaps.blue ambient footwell lighting.reversing aids.door step guards.civic mats.:p
my dealer charge me £2.00 for one sesuring peg..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello there I have had exactly the same problem I have done the same and started a thread like you but got no answers.
The speed bumps I find the worst are the ones that are like individual rubber triangles about 6-8 inches wide individually bolted across the road, I have removed my flaps because they will only continue to ‘bottom’ obviously my dealer says I am the only person who is having this problem, but if more of us make this known maybe we can get something sorted.:idea:

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I find its the small protusions on the bottom of the front bumpper that scrapes across the top of speed bumps. I always worry they'll catch on something and cause damage to the bumper, no damage to any of my mudflaps. Just don't take them so quickly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find its the small protusions on the bottom of the front bumpper that scrapes across the top of speed bumps. I always worry they'll catch on something and cause damage to the bumper, no damage to any of my mudflaps. Just don't take them so quickly!
I have never had the front bumper scraping, just the front mud flaps. It’s definitely not the speed, and it appears to be only some types of speed hump as I said in my other message.

What would be interesting if any one who has a problem measures the clearance from the bottom of the mud guard and the floor and then some figures from people ho don’t have a problem then we could compare and see if there is a problem.

One other thing I forgot to mention, it was the drivers side that actually caught the most the passengers did but not as often!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Had the same thing on my lad's 206, mudflaps just catching on certain bump types no matter what the speed. I'm afraid you will need to get rid of the mudflaps, or cut a few centimetres off them.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
my dealer charge me £2.00 for one sesuring peg..

1.8 es i shift vivid blue.mudflaps.blue ambient footwell lighting.reversing aids.door step guards.civic mats.:p[/quot
mudflaps off..damage 3 securing pegs this time. very lucky only miner damage.....

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I complained about the mudflaps not being secure, it was the pegs inside the wheelarch. Dealer replaced them for free.
The mudflap is secured to the wheelarch very well, but he bit where the wheelarch trim jions the sill trim always seems loose. I can push it and it clicks in place, but next time it is out again. Seems a design flaw!
Terry

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is indeed a design flaw, one which Honda UK have admitted to me that they know about over the phone (not in writing of course!).
The local dealer here in Southampton certainly know about it too...
My car has been back twice with this (repaired free of charge each time), and yes - it affects the whole of the plastic skirtin through to the real wheel arch.
One of the senior service chaps at Aland Day Honda will not put mud flaps on any car that he will drive long term, and advises others not to have them installed.

I agree with the posts above in that it always affect the driver side. The speed at which you take the bumps doesn't always help, I have discovered that when crawling (very very slowly) over certain bumps it scrapes more than going over them faster!!

There are two places I know of that the car can not do without catching the mudflap...
1. In Birmingham city center - older multi storey car park (can't remember name sorry).
2. Portsmouth - when leaving (just after barriers) city center Sainsburys.
And anyone local to Eastleigh might try the humps on Factory Road - I have to drive around three other streets now to avoid my direct way home from town center!!

Another perfect example of how this car was badly designed (but there's plenty of other posts to talk about that!!!).

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Type-S mudflaps on an ES?

The other day I had to take avoiding action to miss a lorry driving on my side of the road by going up a small kerb onto the grass verge. No problems there. Gesticulated at the lorry driver who was driving a foriegn registered lorry, he sort of waved an apology and off we went. But going down the kerb very slowly the front mudflaps scraped. I had a look, and it seemed they were knocked out of position, but went back into place.
Next day I was able to have a good look in daylight and I found a couple of clips in the wheel arch missing, one of the mudflaps broken and the wheelarch trim not fitting properly. Not happy.
Anyway, my question is: Can the smaller Type-S size mudflaps be fitted?
I like the idea of mudflaps to lessen the amount of crap that goes down the side of the car, but I'm fed up with having to go over speedhumps at 10mph or slower.

Terry

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Terry, The Type S ones won't fit as the side skirts are a completely different shape to the ones on a 5 door.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Hi PJR,

Thanks for the clarification....I knew it was too much to hope for an easy fix!
The problems seems to be that the mudflaps are too strong, so any force on them is transmitted up into the wheelarch and sill trim. If they were made from something more flexible there would not be such a problem.
So do I want mudflaps or not?
I'm heading towards not!

Terry

·
Registered
450 Posts
Don't fit them. They are nothing but trouble (I have them) and they ground out regularly, popping out the trim clips. I wish I'd never ordered them!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Hi PJR,

Thanks for the clarification....I knew it was too much to hope for an easy fix!
The problems seems to be that the mudflaps are too strong, so any force on them is transmitted up into the wheelarch and sill trim. If they were made from something more flexible there would not be such a problem.
So do I want mudflaps or not?
I'm heading towards not!

Terry
To be honest, given the grief you've had with the mudflaps, I'd be tempted to take them off.

As you say, the Type S ones are much shorter, and as a result I haven't had any problems with them catching. I do regularly catch the small flaps in front of the front wheel though, on bigger speedhumps. :(

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Yep, the front ones are now removed.
However it has shown up another design "feature" in that the inside edge of the wheelarch liner is not supported at all, which explains why the trailing end of the wheel arch trim that overlaps the sill always seems to be coming loose.

Terry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts