2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon...

car sailed through its MOT thank god last week...:p...apart from it needs some front brake pads soon. Not a problem as i'll get them done when its serviced in October...but i am not sure which pads to get...i always wanted ferrodo's but at £100 they are a bit expensive for what i use my car for (work and back and the odd blast when i can)....i would like something with a bit more bite than the OEM's...would cosworth pads be good?...or would redstuffs be better?...or perhaps some new OEM pads and live with it..??

not sure whats best....any idea's? :confused:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Aren't the Yellow's track pads, or is that Red's?

Personal fave is Ferodo DS2500's, though I'm running stock ATM

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Aren't the Yellow's track pads, or is that Red's?

Personal fave is Ferodo DS2500's, though I'm running stock ATM
Both are suitable for street driving too. I think it's yellows that can be used on the track.

Would have had the Ferodo's myself but simply couldn't afford them.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
How are you finding the EBC-Y? OK when cold?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I remember reading a build thread for someone's car, which he tracked a lot, and he found the Yellowstuff weren't as good as the DS2500 when cold, but could take a little more abuse on the track before fading. He said they lacked feel in comparison to the Ferodo's though.

I'll try to dig it out :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
How are you finding the EBC-Y? OK when cold?
I remember reading a build thread for someone's car, which he tracked a lot, and he found the Yellowstuff weren't as good as the DS2500 when cold, but could take a little more abuse on the track before fading. He said they lacked feel in comparison to the Ferodo's though.

I'll try to dig it out :)
So far so good but not hitting them aggressively yet as need to get some more miles on them. Haven't got experience of the ferodos to compare against unfortunately!
Better pedal feel but that'll be the hoses and new fluid.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Found it :)

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/modification-projects/45631-my-grassroots-motorsport-fn2-project.html

It's the fourth post where he starts to talk about brakes, but the whole thing is a brilliant read! A quote of what he thought:

Currently I've just installed these EBC Yellows front and rear on my FN2
When I got the EBC yellows, it looked pretty good, it comes with anti squeel shims, and the rears have the low pad indicators like OEM. I've never seen an aftermarket brake pad with these things. but then again we shouldn't judge brake pads from their looks right? hahaha
On the road, the cold bite is ok, not as good as the ferodos, but nothing to worry about in my opinion after a bit of use they are fine. On the track its a different story, the Ferodos would reach optimal temp pretty much from the outset, the yellows take a few hard stabs to peak.
They are very consistent when hot, so far I have not got into a situation where the pads would fade and have been virtually silent.

My opinion is the Ferodo DS2500 is a great pad for mostly street driving and occasional track use on sticky road tires. Once you start doing track events on semi slicks you can overheat them, that's when the EBC Yellowstuff come to their own. Personally I prefer the feel of the Ferodo DS2500 but its too bad the compound is softer than I would like. Can't comment on dust as my rims are black.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Cosworth street master pads are good, slightly cheaper than the ferrodo too!
Been thinking about trying these.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
think i'm gonna push the boat out and get ferrodo's.....yellowstuffs only about £25 cheaper and for every good review of them i seem to see someone saying stay away...had ferrodo's on my last car and they were ace so think i'll start saving...

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Just so you know; I found the Mintex 1144 pads almost on a par with the DS2500's, but unless you can get them cheaper I'd get the Ferodo's :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I think the Mintex OEM replacement pads aren't much to shout about - but don't have personal experience.

I do have personal experience of drilled discs cracking though so I tend to avoid them - but there are many happy customers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts